The Gubblemobile- Series III from hell.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
really? Im going to pull one from a Tj. I know guys that have runem lifting and lock since 97 with know problems.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I wish I could say there was any progress, but the bulkhead is really tying the whole process up. I don't want to do the transmission and engine mounts until I have it on hand, so I can get the alignment right.

Because of the build philosophy I followed, the progress is going to be slow. I have to save up for each major component, then wait for it to be delivered. The frame, engine, transmission, and transfercase were pretty significant investments. Then there's the bulkhead, bumpers, and sliders. Oh yes, and the boxes of expensive small parts I won't need if I go with the Dana axles...

One day, it will all be worth it.

Wander

Expedition Leader
Sorry to hear the bulkhead is giving you trouble, you've got the cold weather coming on as well that makes working in the garage not quite as fun.

I used your 90wt IV trick on my tranny and it worked great. I'm still trying to figure out why the rubber plug that is apparently there to help in the checking and filling of the tranny is too high to access the filler hole. Fill it until it comes out-gotta love simplicity!

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I talked to Ike today, and it looks like he'll have the bulkhead back from the galvanizer in a couple weeks. From there, it's packing up the bulkhead, sliders, bumper, and assorted small parts and I should have enough to get started again.

And herein lies the rub. The project momentum is gone. It lies under a large pile of boxes in the garage, and it will likely take some effort to get rolling again. Other demands on my time have cropped up, other interests that provide more immediate reward. It's the classic story of an ambitious Rover project that ends up requiring too much time and money...

Well, almost.

I just need to get rolling again. Make some room for me to get in there and work. Sell off the junk I don't need that's cluttering up the garage. Block off some time to get something done. Basically, I need to get the Rover back in my life in a meaningful way. I'm a creature of habit, and all it takes is making a new one.

We'll see how it goes...

matt s

Explorer
So Mike should we organize an invasion party to show up in your garage with beverages and cheer/heckle you on until you get motivated again?

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Unfortunately, all the pictures have long been deleted by the server, and it's been a while since I've had anything to take a picture of. One assembled swivel ball housing isn't exactly an excuse to break out the camera, and then I would have to clean up everything (including my hands) so I could snap the picture.

Once I get the bulkhead and other fun stuff and start bolting on BIG PARTS I'll get some pictures posted up. Little projects here and there just don't have the same impact and just waste bandwidth- much like my endless whining and indecisiveness about this project's direction.

Right now it's in the single digits at the house, and although the garage is heated it isn't all that fun to sit on/near the cold concrete floor wrenching. I pay for every winter session of working on the Rover with 2 days of back pain.

I'll get started again within the next week or so, at least getting the garage ready to start work. I'll start sorting parts for sale and trade, which should
clear up some space.

A jouney of a thousand miles begins with a single step (and in this case, a kabillion dollars).

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
The good news:
Today the freight guy dropped off a big crate. Galvanized SIIA bulkhead, windshield, sliders, winch bumper, and assorted small parts.

The bad news:
The garage is a wreck, with stuff piled to the ceiling and covering the Rover pile. The finances are in a similar state, after paying for all of these parts and a trip to Seattle and a trip to Hawaii with the family. I have less time than ever, with little time to get out on my bike and salvage what little fitness I have left.

Still, the new sparkly bits are inspiring, and now that Spring is here I can start sorting out the garage. Might take a full weekend. Then I've got to get a rolling chassis so I can move the pile in and out of the garage on nice days. Then I can start getting things rolling... as time permits.

I am debating leaving the bulkhead unpainted. The galvy looks pretty cool, and even after it's weathered a bit I still think it has a certain charm. What do you think?

evilfij

Explorer
Paint wont stick so leave it bare and just spray some undercoat on the bulkhead side of the footwells and waxoyl in the pillars for overkill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater