The Gubblemobile- Series III from hell.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Alaska Mike said:
Speaking of tires, what size have you guys run on Series Rovers? I like the look of the tires on Henry's Series III Eore (at least the ones in the pictures on the site). Not too large, not too small.

It depends on the look you are looking for and what kind of off-roading you will be doing with the Rover from Hell.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I have the CJ for more hardcore wheeling. This vehicle will be used for more long-distance wheeling, while still maintaining some mud/rock/water capability. Very likely that I will be going with BFG MTs, mainly for the blend of off and on highway performance. While I love my Swampers, I doubt they would last any time on the highway.

The look I'm going for is very similar to Henry's Series, or something in that ballpark. The fact that you can see over the spare is a nice bonus.

ShearPin

Adventurer
Mike

Those are 235/85's on my Series III. For suspension I have Rocky mountain parabolic fronts and TI Concol rears (I had a front break) with Old Man Emu shocks all around.

For a better view over the spare I would suggest the BFG muds in that size over the MTR's. The BFG's are what I ran for a number of years prior and the profile of the tire is much more square. Mounting the MTR on the hood actually required modification to the hood mount to accommodate the bulge of the MTR.

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I'm certainly considering a 31x10.50R15 (close relative of the 245/75R16s), since I already have 15" rims. I certainly think they would look fine, but the extra effective gearing from a 32" or 33" tire would also be nice. I'm not sold on a tire requiring 15" rims, because mine need a bunch of cleaning/painting. Might be easier to buy a set of 16" rims and call it quit.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Today I played with the transmission and transfercase a bit. The transmission is almost complete (adapter installed and only missing the input shaft seal), and I'm pretty darn impressed with its overall condition considering how much I paid for it. It looks brand new on the inside. The transfercase gears look a bit rough at spots from sitting in a little water, but they aren't chipped and I'm going to give them a shot and see what they do. I'm betting that the corrosion pitting will wear down a bit during use and the worst I'll get is a little gear whine. After a bit of break-in, I'm planning on running AMSOIL in the transmission and transfercase, so they'll probably be as quiet as they'll ever get. All the bearings and consumable parts are being replaced, so hopefully I'll never have to go back in there (at least for another 35+ years).

The engine is still up in the air, but the Jeep MPFI 2.5L is really interesting to me at this point. I've done some measuring and it looks to be a sweet fit. We'll see how this all shakes out.

I got the word yesterday that my frame and bulkhead are being shipped and I should see them within a couple weeks. I guess I need to finish up the axles and springs so I can move it around and begin trying to fit all of these parts on it.

No pictures yet, because I get kinda greasy when I work and don't want to mess up my camera. I'll try to document as I go once I get rolling.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
For someone who is in no hurry....your build sure is shaping up quickly....

Can't wait to see the finished product. Or the 'sorta finished' product...no good project vehicle is ever really finished....

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
To be honest, other than the disassembly and a little wrenching with the axles, I haven't done a whole lot, I have a bunch of parts stacked up and more on order, but other than that I've pretty much sat on my hands. Part of this is due to time, but it's mostly due to the fact that it's bitterly cold outside and I have other things to do when there's snow on the ground. I should get my project moving come Summer if my plans work out.

I do like to have a clear direction from the start. I'll still makle a ton of judgement errors that will result in more work, but a decent plan always makes it cheaper and less painful in the long run.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I'm looking at swapping gears in the rear. Right now I have a 24 spline Disco I 3rd member with 3.54 gears installed (and all of the bearings and seals to rebuild it) and the original Series 3rd member with the stock 4.7 gears. My original thought was to swap the 4.7 gears over to the Disco diff using an ARB adapter ring, but the guy who does all of my gear work said that there is a good chance of excess gear noise and wear if he is unable to match the patterns. He was willing to try, and the guy is very talented, but I'm looking at other options. Other factors I'm considering: the gears are 35 years old and swapping gears from one carrier to another would incur more labor expenses, plus I would have an essentially useless 3rd member (the original Series) since I won't pay to have the 3:54 gears installed on it.

That said, are there any preferences in gear sets? I don't want to change the front gears if I can avoid it, so that limits my choices to the stock gear ratio and perhaps the GBR 4.75 set. I'm seeing pricing for gear sets anywhere from $219 to $875 (do I get fries with that?). I know gearset quality can vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer, so does anyone have any suggestions?

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
It was a good day.

Frame002.jpg

Obviously I'm going to have to do some real work on that bulkhead, but it's not nearly as bad off as the original one. I'll probably start the project in earnest in the next couple months, as warm temperatures have melted off a lot of the snow and I now have a platform to bolt pieces to. I think the first step is going to be cleaning up the bulkhead for new footwells and designing a new dash. I was thinking of something along the lines of the Series II.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
By the way, does anyone have the link for the guy who built his own square tube and sheetmetal dash for a Series III? I ran across it a few months ago, but now I can't find it.

seriessearcher

Adventurer
Do you mean Brett from CO

Alaska Mike said:
By the way, does anyone have the link for the guy who built his own square tube and sheetmetal dash for a Series III? I ran across it a few months ago, but now I can't find it.

Do you mean the guy building one from scratch based out of CO welding up his own?

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Did he do a write-up on one of the boards? I just remember seeing the pictures and thinking it was a cool idea.

I ran across a Series III bulkhead in a shed today when I stopped by a house to look at a couple Series IIA 109s. The owner offered it to me for a good price with a clear title and several components installed (brake booster and clutch master cylinder among them). It needs some work, but I may pick it up for the parts or repair it instead. That would probably save me hours of fabrcation/repair time. I'll swing by tomorrow and see what else he has to offer/trade. You never kow what lies in someone else's shed...

seriessearcher

Adventurer
I think it was Brett from Guns and Rovers

He actually bagged the idea a little while ago to pursue a different approach. I can find it if you like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal