The Little 2TRFE That Could..

jeverich

Luddite
Lady friend and I took a trip up to BC, spent the night in Vancouver for Wednesday night; then ventured up to the Hope/Yale, BC area for the preceding day.

Last time I was in Vancouver was 4 or so years ago - for a commercial fishing industry conference. Remembered eating an an excellent restaurant located directly in the middle of the boat "Harbour". Yes, I did say "Harbour".. Did dinner at Cardero's, Cajun seared Lingcod and braised Sablefish - honey amber lager and Granville Island stout. Excellent. I must add that my dirty and utilitarian rig looked somewhat out of place parked curbside amongst showroom-esque Mercedes and BMWs...

Ventured into town later on, after leaving the truck at the hotel. Apparently, we landed ourselves ********** dab in the middle of the night-club district. Not exactly either of our "scenes", gaggles of 19 year olds, and enough makeup and perfume to put Lady Gaga to shame... We returned to the room fairly early.

Knew that some traveling and exploration was necessary, decided to take a detour a few hours to the East of us - Hope/Yale, BC.

Forgot my DSLR, and had to resort to using a sub-par point and shoot. Oh well, at least I was able to take some pictures.

Fairly easy terrain, beautiful landscapes and vistas. The Fraser is quite an impressive river..

IMG_0901_zps6ff9aed8.jpg

IMG_0905_zps48667c7a.jpg

IMG_0906_zps290bc0d4.jpg

IMG_0908_zps9ea5e02a.jpg

IMG_0912_zps500af354.jpg

IMG_0915_zps3b0db400.jpg

IMG_0916_zps5af9f53c.jpg

IMG_0919_zps4fd8c2bc.jpg

IMG_0922_zpsb4d1b007.jpg

IMG_0926_zpsc788d6d5.jpg

jeverich

Luddite
Found a dead end.. Was forced to do some creative "turning around"..

IMG_0927_zpscb6e845c.jpg

IMG_0929_zps3c250926.jpg

Have one of these being fabricated -

tn_1200_6a4a25bad8484e32950475bb7e04ba55.jpg

Have a set of these waiting to be welded on -

Kickoutsliders1.jpg

jeverich

Luddite
This thread is awesome. I hope to make it out west soon!!!

Thank you for the kind words, it's getting there..

Spent all day Tuesday chasing a horrible noise, had gone through a few water crossings on the way to the South Skagit River. Hit a gravel bank at a decent clip, heard an absolutely dreaded "Boom". Oh, no. Attempting to prove my "Mach-Ness" has just bitten me square in the ***.

Metal on metal grinding noise.. Mostly prevalent at low speed, and even worse when turning to the right.

Decide to cut the day's trip short, I'm only about 20 minutes from my house, garage and tools. Anticipating draining my differential to find bits and pieces of an axle shaft or spider gears..

Drain the diff and run a magnet through the gear oil. Nothing.

Take off the drum brakes, look for gravel or water that could possibly have been ingested. Nothing.

Thoroughly stumped.

Happen to be looking under the front driveline area, find the culprit. Bent heat shielding around the gas tank had been rubbing on the drive shaft. Turning cause some deflection, hence the noise becoming more prevalent in a right hand turn.

Problem solved, panties un-wadded...

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I love this truck. I wish I had one, or better yet...could find one, used, and in decent shape. I fuel mileage seems exceptional. If I can't find a tacoma, I may have to look into a 4th gen. 4runner.

jeverich

Luddite
I love this truck. I wish I had one, or better yet...could find one, used, and in decent shape. I fuel mileage seems exceptional. If I can't find a tacoma, I may have to look into a 4th gen. 4runner.

Start expanding your horizons - there's hundreds of them for sale on Craigslist in Seattle..

Road trip!

Just replaced my air filter a few days ago, mileage was getting really really poor. Just went with a factory Toyota instead of cleaning the K&N that was in there.. After all, it had been two Alaska Highway drives and about 20k miles since the last change. Definitely noticed an improvement.

Costman13

Adventurer
How long are you around for? I'm headed to Seattle this evening and the Sounders game tomorrow. Will be back in town Saturday evening.

jeverich

Luddite
How long are you around for? I'm headed to Seattle this evening and the Sounders game tomorrow. Will be back in town Saturday evening.

I'll be in Seattle tomorrow evening, then back for late that night. Then down to shipyard in Reedsport for Monday morning, Sunday is free though - then I'll be back in a couple of weeks.

jeverich

Luddite
Here are a few pictures and writeup from the last few days..

Going to be down in shipyard off and on in Reedsport, Oregon for the next couple of months. Amazing how this area truly is the "Dune Capital of the PNW". Everyone has quads and dirtbikes, some of the tow rigs, 5th wheels and toys that I see fueling up at the gas station are pretty impressive. Easily $100k plus.

Finally got my sliders from Bay Area Metal Fab sand blasted and primed; used a high zinc content marine paint. Finished them with Hammerite.

Going to weld them on in an hour or so with one of the welders from the shipyard, will update with pictures.

Managed to find some pretty awesome logging roads to explore...

Ran at 45 PSI the entire time, also..

DSC_0020-2_zps8422c320.jpg

DSC_0024_zpsbdf62914.jpg

DSC_0040_zps00bd6145.jpg

DSC_0042_zpsf00994a3.jpg

DSC_0047_zps9064b8ee.jpg

DSC_0049_zps3f0549d9.jpg

DSC_0050_zpsa014a4a9.jpg

DSC_0057_zps6edaec52.jpg

DSC_0059_zps4c63ec65.jpg

DSC_0063_zps65a8fffb.jpg

jeverich

Luddite
Nice pictures you've got there. Those logging roads look fun.

I'm actually in Eugene at the moment - any suggestions for places to see? On my second Oatmeal Stout at Ninkasi right now, met a couple of women who suggested that I stop in to Falling Sky Brewery..

Think that Lower Imnaha (Hells Canyon) may be next weekend's destination.

MCObray

Explorer
I'm actually in Eugene at the moment - any suggestions for places to see? On my second Oatmeal Stout at Ninkasi right now, met a couple of women who suggested that I stop in to Falling Sky Brewery..

Think that Lower Imnaha (Hells Canyon) may be next weekend's destination.

If you've got time, I would definitely hike Spencer's Butte or drive up to Skinner Butte for good views of the surrounding area. I'm fairly new to the town my self, but you might have good luck at Hop Valley/Oakshire/The Bier Stein.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77