The Little 2TRFE That Could..

jeverich

Luddite
Did some beach driving down in Reedsport this evening after work, and yes - I immediately took the truck to the pressure washer afterwards.

Thinking that paining the frame may be the project for this weekend.. Then hopefully will be bolting up my new rear bumper from Bruteforce Fab.

Seriously contemplating a 2 Meter Radio and the accompanying HAM license; I feel as though I've been pretty lucky thus far with not getting caught with my pants down in a few of these remote areas. Also, swapping out U-Joints and carrier bearing this weekend.

DSC_0001-2_zps0edf4421.jpg

DSC_0004-1_zps153cbebd.jpg

jeverich

Luddite
Are those sliders CBI or BAMF or...?

BAMF weld on w/kick out.

Pretty pleased with how they came out, had the professionally sand blasted and painted with a marine zinc-based primer; finished them with Hammerite. I'll try and get some better pictures over the next few days...

Have a new carrier bearing, u-joints and a Yaesu FT-2900R waiting to go in.

Wainiha

Explorer
He makes good stuff. His SAS is looking very nice.

I have his LSPV extension. Are the sliders weld on or bolt on?

jeverich

Luddite
They're weld on; pretty happy with how they came out. Finally welded them on last Friday; pretty happy with them overall. A couple of the legs were a little of, but it was nothing a flap disc couldn't take care of.

jeverich

Luddite
Started in on my driveline refresh project this afternoon, fairly certain that I've found the source of a few driveline vibes and squeaks... Looks as though one of the grease passages on the rear differential U-Joint was never thru-drilled, therefore for the last 120k miles or so it has been running dry!

Everything was going (relatively) smoothly until I realized I completely forgot to get a gear puller to remove my yoke in order to remove/replace the carrier bearing. Whoops. Luckily, there's a small Mom & Pop type auto shop right next door to my house - going to venture over there tomorrow and evaluate my options. Used the BFH/C-Clamp and socket method on the first two U-Joints... Yes, it works - but it's a little primitive. Good practice if I ever have to swap one out in the field. Think I'm going to see if I can get the remaining joint pressed on at the auto shop as well.

Enjoy..

Jake

jeverich

Luddite
Added this little dandy today..

Yaesu FT-1900R, with an NMO mount Larsen 150B 5/8th wave.

All that I will say is plan on this install taking anywhere from one to two days. Well, to do it correctly at least. I know my first temptation was to rush and get through it as quickly as possible; well, perhaps that was the entire pot of French Press coffee this AM. You only have one shot to drill your hole in the roof for an NMO mount - and it's especially critical that the hole is perfectly 3/4". But, if you're planning an install you've probably already done your research..

Managed to finesse it into the single DIN opening below my head unit - absolutely took LOTs of trimming with the Dremel tool and fitting. Oh, and gobs of patience too.

Already picking up traffic from South of Seattle, as well as VHF marine band from BC. Now, it's time to study for my license exam on Tuesday down in Eugene. Have to do some serious manual reading as well.

Thinking that I'm going to install a magnet in the rear of the mic, a la Mr.Grimm or Barlowrs.. forget which one it was.

Have a weeping pinion seal, which kind of sucks. New one is sitting in the cup holder.

AMAZING the difference in ride quality and elimination of driveline vibes with the new U-Joints and Carrier Bearing. Wow.

soonenough

Explorer
Started in on my driveline refresh project this afternoon, fairly certain that I've found the source of a few driveline vibes and squeaks...
That's good news! I've read so many different remedies listed on various forums to the Tacoma take-off shudder, I wasn't sure where to start. I'm fighting the same thing on my '08, and truthfully I haven't been good about keeping the U-joints greased. So maybe my first step should just be to replace the U-joints and carrier bearing and see what that does.

By the way, nice clean install on the radio! That's the first time I've seen anyone mount a ham radio in the dash...I've seen plenty of CBs there, but not a ham radio (at least that I can recall).

jeverich

Luddite
That's good news! I've read so many different remedies listed on various forums to the Tacoma take-off shudder, I wasn't sure where to start. I'm fighting the same thing on my '08, and truthfully I haven't been good about keeping the U-joints greased. So maybe my first step should just be to replace the U-joints and carrier bearing and see what that does.

By the way, nice clean install on the radio! That's the first time I've seen anyone mount a ham radio in the dash...I've seen plenty of CBs there, but not a ham radio (at least that I can recall).

Thanks for the compliments.. Yes, it was a lot of trimming and fitting - but it came out pretty good! My only concern will be the possibility of heat build up after extended transmit times.. Honestly though, I don't anticipate doing a whole lot of chatting at high wattage; if it gets to be an issue I can put some ventilation holes and a PC fan in the DIN slot below the radio.

Like I said - it's amazing how much better the truck drives now. Rearview mirror was shaking like I had a 12" sub bumping when I was at highway speed. After u-joints and carrier bearing - NOTHING!

No more annoying driveline clunk, either.

Honestly, I'd take a hard look at your u-joints. Like the picture I posted, one of the grease passages was never thru driller - and it never received ANY grease for 125k miles. Cup was fractured, and a big chunk was missing..

nrooney21

I followed your Al-Can drive on Tacomaworld. Glad to see you're still around

Sent from my typewriter via carrier pigeon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77