The Little 2TRFE That Could..

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Again great pics, love the truck.

I like my little 2.7L but I've wondered how difficult it would be to swap in a 3.4 V6. They are plentiful, more powerful, and I loved the one in my 2001 dcab. Maybe one day...

Since you have a 2nd gen wouldn't a 4.0 be a simpler swap? I guess maybe they're not as plentiful (although they've been in the 4runner since 2003, you would think there would be plenty of them out there, too.) More power, better MPG, no timing belt - what's not to like?

I was a 3.4 fan, too (I had an '04 taco 5 speed and a '99 4runner auto, both with the 3.4) but the 4.0 is a whole new ballgame. A 4.0 with a 5 speed would probably get excellent MPG and be a real hoot to drive.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Really love this truck. The 2.7 4x4 tacoma is being seriously considered as a replacement for my 100 series. It would definitely be a huge difference in fuel costs. Or a 4.0 4runner 4x4. Can't really decide.

I would bet that the 2.7 4x4 Tacoma would get great mileage for me here in rural, south Georgia.
Highway speeds 55-65mph, in-town 35-45mph. Flat.
When I head to the mountains of NC, stay around 55-70mph. Just worry about the hills up there and the snow. What would you say? Looks like your truck has seen plenty of snow.

I just have a hard time making sense of a 4.0 Tacoma (the 4runner 4.0s seem to be cheaper used) for me; can find the tacoma 4cylinder 4x4s for much cheaper and still stay with the newer generation, better fuel economy, cheaper (only slightly) to maintain, still 4x4

jeverich

Luddite
Really love this truck. The 2.7 4x4 tacoma is being seriously considered as a replacement for my 100 series. It would definitely be a huge difference in fuel costs. Or a 4.0 4runner 4x4. Can't really decide.

I would bet that the 2.7 4x4 Tacoma would get great mileage for me here in rural, south Georgia.
Highway speeds 55-65mph, in-town 35-45mph. Flat.
When I head to the mountains of NC, stay around 55-70mph. Just worry about the hills up there and the snow. What would you say? Looks like your truck has seen plenty of snow.

I just have a hard time making sense of a 4.0 Tacoma (the 4runner 4.0s seem to be cheaper used) for me; can find the tacoma 4cylinder 4x4s for much cheaper and still stay with the newer generation, better fuel economy, cheaper (only slightly) to maintain, still 4x4

I'd say go for it!

Truck did fine in the snow; even better with 4.88 gears (I'm running 255s), and an ARB Locker. Of course, now I'm sitting up in Dutch Harbor... don't think I'll be driving my rig for a few months.

You're located pretty close to East Coast Gear Supply, as well.. If and when you decide to put a locker in your rear end, give them a call.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Would you say it does well in the mountains? Has the power/torque needed, especially on the east coast. Is the mpg really worth the 4cylinder?
No problems in the snow?

jeverich

Luddite
Would you say it does well in the mountains? Has the power/torque needed, especially on the east coast. Is the mpg really worth the 4cylinder?
No problems in the snow?

If you plan on keeping the truck stock, then yes - it did fine in the mountains. After I added 255s, a re-gear was definitely needed.

If you plan on doing any heavy towing with this truck; then get a 4.0, or an F-250. If you plan on doing occasional towing, this truck will suite you just fine.

No problems in the snow, I just aired down and watched my foot on the skinny pedal. The tires that come stock, Dun(g)(f)lops are pretty horrid in the snow.

I think the 4cyl/6cyl decision also depends on your driving style.. If you enjoy going fast - get a 4.0. If you like to go within 10 MPH of the speed limit, and don't mind being unable to race that Ford Raptor in the left lane - get the 2.7.

uscg2008

Explorer
Hey bub just lurking don't mind me........

Did you get any more pics of your topper I want to see how the color turn out in the sun light

jeverich

Luddite
Hey bub just lurking don't mind me........

Did you get any more pics of your topper I want to see how the color turn out in the sun light

Nope... Think I'm going to put it up for sale when I get home. Think that the color came out pretty good, though.

Whatchya painting??

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I think I'm going to try and go drive a 4cylinder here soon, idk if there are any 4x4 4's in this area, but I'll find something. The mpg estimates I have read seem great. Plus, with a Jeep JKU and 100 series, I'm very used to being slow. But slow, plus better mpg would be awesome.

jeverich

Luddite
Been away from here for quite some time, fishing has been been the pre-dominant event in my life for the last few months...

Finally managed to finagle a week off away from the boat, and had the opportunity to do some "mostly" solo exploration around the Pacific Northwest, and British Columbia.

Week started with a trip into the Mount Baker National Forest; via FS Road 17. Located off of the South Skagit Highway, about 30 minutes from my house - this was the route that I had taken for the Northwest Overland Society's Christmas Tree Run back in December. At the time, three feet of snow brought a halt to our trip, and we spent about 3 hours trying to get our group turned around and facing the correct way down the trail. This time would be different, right?

Wanted to test my newly installed ARB CKMA12, so I aired down to 15 PSI early on. Definitely softened up some of the rough gravel ruts and water crossings that seem to abound on any logging road in the PNW..

Gained a couple thousand feet in elevation and found the snow. Dropped down to 10 PSI, 4 LOW and engaged the rear locker. Wow! What a difference! After only driving an open-diff'd rig in the snow previously, it's pretty incredible the traction that is gained when both rear wheels are spinning equally..

Then the snow started to get really deep: 3 feet or so. In April, no less.

Decided it was time to turn around, of course it was after I found myself on a 30 degree incline and thoroughly stuck. Spent a couple of hours honing my self-recovery skills, unfortunately neither my co-pilot or myself managed to get any good pictures - I think the shared adrenaline was a little too high at that point. Definitely used my snatch block, as well as the Amsteel straps that I've spliced up. Never, ever underestimate the value of winch extensions or shackles!

photo-2_zpsc78044f4.jpg

image_zps8a325029.jpeg

image_zps612dba5d.jpeg

image_zpsa423cccf.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77