The Little 2TRFE That Could..

jeverich

Luddite
Back on dry land, as of 18:30 on the 15th of October..

Came home only to find that the electromagnetic clutch in my AC Compressor is acting up; have to do some more investigation into that one. Plus side, the truck sounds supercharged when the AC switch is depressed! (Belt passing over locked up pulley..)

Took care of some odds and ends; cleaned up a few grounds that were causing some erratic operation on my driving lights. If I was smarter, I would have routed all of my grounds back to my Blue Seas block.

Still fighting a leaching pinion seal, think it got a little munged up with the clogged differential breather.

Oh, and finally picked up my RTT. Awesome.

cMU0KUV.jpg

Just sitting on the bed rails for this picture.. there was no way I was waiting until I fabricated my bed rack to open it up. Seriously. This thing is brand new. At half off retail, think I made out alright.

Welder (MultiProcess Machine) should be here Monday - hopefully have a bed rack by Friday. Although, helping Louis (Louisd75) re-do the water line to his house is going to be an interesting process... Might cut into the fabricating time!

Stoked to get out an explore. It's such a contrast to go from living on 120 Feet of steel, to nearly limitless freedom. Contemplating making an epic road trip back to Rhode Island to tow back an 18 foot wooden skiff...

Think this is going to be the last bit of work that I do on the truck. It's definitely capable as it is, and shouldn't be the recipient of any more high dollar purchases for a little while, at least.

Made it to Cascade Design's annual warehouse sale on Friday - MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes for $30.. Black Canyon 70L Dry Bags for $10.. MSR Dishes for $2.. Misc. Sealine Bags for $10. Think I found my waterproof storage solution..

StMSNDs.jpg

srch4me

Adventurer
Welcome back to dry land! Roof top tent looks awesome. What welder did you get?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

jeverich

Luddite
Let me know how ya like it. Which weld type you going to be using? I love tig welding. I can mig in my sleep. I'm ok with stick lol

Not too sure at the moment..

Perhaps a mix of MIG/TIG. Seems like a solid little machine - of course, I just now find a Miller 304 XMT with 60S Feeder for $1500 on Craigslist. Dammnit!

Gave the salute to a cherry late 90's JDM RHD Diesel Surf this afternoon on I-5. Freakin' sweet rig.

jeverich

Luddite
Really enjoying that new welder, it's a great little machine. I should have gone with my gut, although I decided to cheap out with a 20 CF bottle..

Finally starting to adjust slightly to life off of the boat, keeping myself busy with projects around my house. Well; that's a misnomer. Projects on my truck..

Started the day by replacing the grease seal in my swing out tire carrier, which - had been blown out for quite sometime. Not too sure what made the seal pop out, although I'm willing to bet that it wasn't driven in perfectly even. Blew out the bearings with brake cleaner, and re-packed. Good to go. Snugged up my preload - noticed that the bumper is still only protected with primer. Oh well, I'll get to it some day.

Then I beefed up my leaf packs, by adding 2 springs a side. I should have just added the 2 leafs when I first built up my spring pack. Although, I was really nervous that I'd have "too much" lift. Definitely not the case - as when I was loaded down for my Hell's Canyon trip, the truck was squatting pretty noticeably in the rear. Also, took the time to re-do my "poor man's anti-squeak" pads. Hopefully, these will last a little bit longer than the previous ones did.. Truck was starting to squeak like a Motel 6..

Had to redo both spring pins - Grade 8 Hex Head ground round..

Fully welded bump stops on to (Homemade) U-Bolt Flip..

Had tires on the ground by 16:30.

Tomorrow is a pinion seal.. will document that one as well.

Overall, super impressed with my homebrew leaf pack. Shall see what the end result is, especially after I add a rack for my RTT (which I'll hopefully be working on by this weekend). Then, it's game on.. start getting out "there"!

ABMGiSR.jpg

Htpnt3M.jpg

srch4me

Adventurer
Really enjoying that new welder, it's a great little machine. I should have gone with my gut, although I decided to cheap out with a 20 CF bottle..

Finally starting to adjust slightly to life off of the boat, keeping myself busy with projects around my house. Well; that's a misnomer. Projects on my truck..

Started the day by replacing the grease seal in my swing out tire carrier, which - had been blown out for quite sometime. Not too sure what made the seal pop out, although I'm willing to bet that it wasn't driven in perfectly even. Blew out the bearings with brake cleaner, and re-packed. Good to go. Snugged up my preload - noticed that the bumper is still only protected with primer. Oh well, I'll get to it some day.

Then I beefed up my leaf packs, by adding 2 springs a side. I should have just added the 2 leafs when I first built up my spring pack. Although, I was really nervous that I'd have "too much" lift. Definitely not the case - as when I was loaded down for my Hell's Canyon trip, the truck was squatting pretty noticeably in the rear. Also, took the time to re-do my "poor man's anti-squeak" pads. Hopefully, these will last a little bit longer than the previous ones did.. Truck was starting to squeak like a Motel 6..

Had to redo both spring pins - Grade 8 Hex Head ground round..

Fully welded bump stops on to (Homemade) U-Bolt Flip..

Had tires on the ground by 16:30.

Tomorrow is a pinion seal.. will document that one as well.

Overall, super impressed with my homebrew leaf pack. Shall see what the end result is, especially after I add a rack for my RTT (which I'll hopefully be working on by this weekend). Then, it's game on.. start getting out "there"!

ABMGiSR.jpg

Htpnt3M.jpg

Isn't grade eight to hard for spring hardware? Anything suspension related is supposed to use grade five.

jeverich

Luddite
Good news, pinion seal isn't leaking! Pretty nice not to have that gear oil mess under my rig.. Definitely need to devise a better system for pumping the new gear oil in. After a few choice expletives and a ruined pair of jeans, the el cheapo Harbor Freight "Transfer Pump" was thrown at terminal velocity into the trash..

Making some progress on that rack. Mis-measured one of my bends, so I'm going to have to add a 10" section in the middle of each hoop - in order to hit my 40" width mark. No biggie, although - I think that I'm going to add some 3/16 flat stock gussets under each butt joint. Butt.. :sombrero:

The most frustrating part of the entire project has been getting this new machine dialed in just right. Pretty sure I've got it now. The guideline parameters (inside of the cover) are far too cold for my liking..

Managed to do a short trip off of Mosquito Lake Road with a couple friends. Wow. Will absolutely be heading up there within the not-so-distant future. Stoked to get out and start traveling.. Which, will be happening shortly after this rack is finished up. Guess that's the way my mind works, one thing at a time.

Hoping to have it [mostly] buttoned up by tomorrow evening.. Still getting used to being off of the boat.

Qrzfwoq.jpg

WlDkztp.jpg

RiRkpuh.jpg

hJ4j7BY.jpg

uOjdqlX.jpg

wte8MFR.jpg

srch4me

Adventurer
Love it. Nice looking welds. We need to try getting getting the node to connect again one of these nights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77