The Official 2012 Overland Expo thread!!! Post your comments, questions, images...

AdvWife

x10000 on this. I know we suggested it a few years ago, but honestly for me, the cost of entry is prohibitive, combined with travel costs to get there, plus time away from work. All I really want is a camping pass and 1 or 2 presentations.

Whole heartedly agree. It was disappointing to miss out on things I wanted to do because of the cost.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Doug,
#1 Thanks for putting your presentations online. My wife was not able to attend the event but she already replied positively to my email link on both the Couples & Womens Overlanding pdf's....very well done.

#2 The pre/post idea is great and I agree it is how a number of Nursing/Medical conferences I have attended were setup. It was nice to pick and plan ahead for a more in-depth look at a subject and save the main "show" days for walking around seeing everything else.

For those of us who have been around this community for a while we would like to learn more and dig deeper, and are willing to pay for that. The normal Overland Experience package is great for folks new to all this, for the rest of us please give us a chance to play also :)

James86004

Expedition Leader
The highlight for me was the Camel Trophy activities. I was so impressed with how well the CT group worked with each other and with the willing bystanders. The amount of time they spent with my 11-year-old daughter teaching her how to lash a bridge together was incredible. I doubt we will ever need to build a raft out of 55 gallon drums and float a Rover with it, but I learned a lot about teamwork from the process.

Duncan Barbour teaching Grace and Ian (I think that was his name) how to lash:
101_0311.jpg

What a bachelor party for the Groom, driving his CT truck over the new bridge!:
101_0373.jpg

The Grand Finale: Float a Rover!
101_0570.jpg

loup407

Adventurer
I'll echo Lance's thanks to Doug for posting their presentations online. For anyone married or partnered and wishing to stay that way; I'd strongly suggest reviewing their decks with your significant other.
The Expo was a great event, well worth the time off and 24 hours of driving (round trip); the Hackney's presentations were highlights of the Expo classes for us. We are already looking forward to next year.

WOW! This was my first Overland Expo and was really blown away by it. The only direct complaints I heard were about the high winds on Friday and the fact that AT&T data was dead as a doornail for most of the event. Of course, both of those things were beyond the control of the organizers. :)

I spoke with many, many attendees and vendors and all I heard was universal praise.

Three of us spent 9 days on the road for this event, driving the Mojave Road trail (with some excitement there) on the way to the Expo and we had a blast the entire time. We loved the new location & met many friends old and new, so many that I cannot hope to list them all here. The parties, campfire chats, and courses were all a ton of fun.

I'll be sorting through the 900 photos I took, and posting a bunch of them & commentary to my blog as I have time to work through them. A dozen or so photos I posted to Twitpic over the weekend have finally made it out over the blasted AT&T network too.

I'll be buzzing with the energy from this event for at least a week or two. Thanks to everyone I spoke with at the Expo, the great members of this community really are the heart of these events. By all means if we met there, send me a friend request on Facebook or follow me on Twitter or my blog, or otherwise stay in touch!

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
Contact list of vendors? OX12 decal?

Is there a contact list, or a link page, of all the vendors that exhibited at OX'12? There was that company that had the awesome coolers I'd like to get a hold of soon...

Also, I overheard someone say there was a decal for OX '12, is that the case? I saw the patch but didn't see where to get them. A sticker would be cool for the Jeep.

Overall a really great show. I'll be back next year for sure!!:wings:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Expo Swag

As usual, I came home with a bunch of loot.

My favorite thing is the commemorative map case. Heavy duty RTT material and Howling Moon quality courtesy of Bundu Gear and OEX, my Gazeteers (plural) fit in there with room to spare. Now I have a place for all these trendy patches ;)

mapcase-1.jpg

:victory:

Last edited:

maxingout

Adventurer
We spent two days at the Overland Expo, and we especially enjoyed the winching demonstrations where the Disco was rolled onto the side and then back on the wheels four different times in four different ways. It's the best demonstration I have seen of different ways to safely right a rolled vehicle. Those guys did a great job.

I also thought that the Camel Trophy bridge construction and driving over the bridge by Shane Young was awesome. Driving the radio controlled Camel Trophy truck across the bridge was a real nail biter as well. Good job mates.

For me, those two events were the highlights. No hype. Just the real deal.

The Camel Trophy wedding of Shane and Sandra was also unforgettable. That was a once in a lifetime experience.

This was our third Expo, and each one seems to have a different flavor. I had the feeling that the trailers and rigs were getting exponentially larger in size. I missed seeing the smaller basic trailers for those who don't want to haul a trailer condominium behind their truck. I also had the feeling that the smaller vendors were fewer in number with less merchandise than what I saw in Amado two years ago.

It was a real treat to meet people who had actually made driving trips around the world. That keeps my dreams alive and makes the Expo experience worth the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven