The Official 2012 Overland Expo thread!!! Post your comments, questions, images...

I was camped near him, and talked to him. His Name is Chris, company is Backcountry Fabrication out of Montana. It is all aluminum frame, and skin including the pop up. He built it about 5 years ago for an Alaska trip but was talking about possibly using it as a prototype.

Friend of mine from Connecticut who moved to Montana about 2 years ago. It was good to see him again. He built my custom platform on my old Tacoma. Work is top notch and his Dodge is a work of art. He really thought out the camper build. Nothing half assed
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/9846-Phil-s-Adventure-Tacoma?p=421639#post421639

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/9846-Phil-s-Adventure-Tacoma?p=550549#post550549

Last edited:

jonharis

Team Equipt wanted to thank everybody that came out to our "End of the World Party" Saturday night! We also want to thank the guys at Overland Gourmet (Zach & Clint) and their Rendezvous Conspiracy! Also, Christian and the Maya Rally folks! This party took a huge group effort and we all worked and succeeded as a team.
We had no idea how huge the participation would be when we came up with the idea while deep in the jungles of Guatemala. Thank you all!!!

A few pics that I took with my snappy while at the EXPO:

Ben-
It was a true pleasure meeting you at the expo. Thanks for taking the time out of your busy night to show me the new x-pro1! The camera and your incredible eye are making impressive shots.

loup407

Adventurer
Getting packed and ready to roll out of SLC right now. Planning on spending the night in Valley of the Gods. I am half expecting to see some other Expo bound folks laying ove there.

Good to meet you at Expo and camp separately together at VOG. Have a good trip home!

loup407

Adventurer
Thank you for all the hard work that made the Expo so great. It was wonderful to see old friends and make new ones. The venue was a big improvement, and it was nice to see so many new vendors. The OvEx12 team pulled off another event that keeps improving!

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
We're just finishing packing up, and as usual the grounds were nearly spotless. That says a lot about our community. Our heartfelt thanks to everyone who attended, presented, and taught!

Rob, the aerial photos were spectacular, and we loved watching you bank around the site with one hand while snapping photos.

We'll be back in the same location next year. The folks at Mormon Lake Lodge invited us to leave up the Land Rover driving course. And the Camel Trophy team is already scheming for next year's CT Skills Area.

teleturns

Adventurer
Excellent event! Here are a few I took

20120519_065143.jpg

20120519_155929.jpg

20120519_174139.jpg

20120519_174152.jpg

20120519_064858.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Jonathan, you and Roseann deserve a huge hug and a bow of respect for all the behind the scenes hard work that went into this event.
Having attended the first event in Prescott and then Amado venue, I would say this year was everything Overland Expo is meant to be. Pine trees, green grass, mountains all around, the vendor area packed with new and interesting things along with old friends, and the campground of course just as cool as the show itself.

Big thanks from the disabled community for the camping area that was set aside. That made a big difference in fatigue levels even for me as an amputee much less the chair guys.
Vince the gentleman with the Mobility Works trike had never been to anything like the Overland Expo but you now have a very passionate convert :)

The only thing I heard from a number of people was that they went looking to buy more stuff and get some show specials. So much for a down economy :) Plenty of small ticket items around, and I even bought gear like snatch straps, tire repair kits and of course 3 hydroflaks (thanks Zack & the Overland Gourment crew).

I can't wait to see how much it will grow for next year as word filters out about this spectacular event. Once the pics get around, the magazine articles are printed and the forums get searched I think you will need to plan on more day pass parking :)

Oh the other thought I had would be if next year a day pass person could pay for just the 1 or 3 classes/presentations they were interested instead of the entire Overland Experience package?

Again huge thanks for making this the event all of us had always dreamed it would be.

thecriscokid

Explorer
What a great event! Most of my favorite rigs have already been pictured so I won't repeat. It was a great venue, perfect weather, and a great community. For me, it was even better to meet all the people that drive all these amazing rigs. I have to say (a little bias) My favorite vehicle was the WVO Diesel Land Cruiser 80 with the pop top and 1000 mile+ fuel range! and, well the huge forward control Bruno?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Oh the other thought I had would be if next year a day pass person could pay for just the 1 or 3 classes/presentations they were interested instead of the entire Overland Experience package?

Great idea. An ala carte option would appeal to the more seasoned overlanders since they could perhaps hone their skills by targeting a weak area.

A Ham testing station would be nice next year, maybe it would even motivate me to get licensed... :snorkel:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Doc the Ham thing is a great idea and I bet we could get the Maricopa Country Emergency Radio guys to come up and they are a very strong ham group that understands the 4x4 world.
Or maybe some 4x4ham.com folks would come play.
It is a nice market for Yaesu or Kenwood or Icom to look at or even a vendor like Ham Radio Outlet (since they have a store in Phx) would help. Have either the vendors or the ham club run a base station at the Expo for folks to check out and buy some gear. And like Dave-TacoDoc suggested a test session on Sat maybe for the newbies.

nwoods

Expedition Leader

x10000 on this. I know we suggested it a few years ago, but honestly for me, the cost of entry is prohibitive, combined with travel costs to get there, plus time away from work. All I really want is a camping pass and 1 or 2 presentations.

Uglyduck

Adventurer
Doc the Ham thing is a great idea and I bet we could get the Maricopa Country Emergency Radio guys to come up and they are a very strong ham group that understands the 4x4 world.
Or maybe some 4x4ham.com folks would come play.
It is a nice market for Yaesu or Kenwood or Icom to look at or even a vendor like Ham Radio Outlet (since they have a store in Phx) would help. Have either the vendors or the ham club run a base station at the Expo for folks to check out and buy some gear. And like Dave-TacoDoc suggested a test session on Sat maybe for the newbies.

I think there's a HAM group here in Flag thats pretty savvy. I'll poke around and find out.

+1 on the ala carte option Dave. I was a "day passer" and burned out the demos and exhibits after a day and a half or solid wondering. I was wishing I could sign up for a few "Experience" classes. I'm thinking of getting the package next year but taking one or two in the following years would help maintain skills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven