The original expedition vehicle...

LilKJ

Adventurer
A new project is underway as I was looking for a way to get away from my super-comfy, expensive gear dependent trips.... so we're going back to our roots...

Brought home a 1946 Willys
9216_1147288370895_1488124026_30416169_3943676_n.jpg

This one is completely original down to its half military-half civilian components... only changes are the seats and a 12V conversion...

THe old school aftermarket expedition rack
IMG_3262resize.jpg

All the creature comforts....
IMG_3270resize.jpg

...and 60hp of flathead 4 cylinder goodness....
IMG_3272resize.jpg

The plan for this thing is: fix some rust, new coat of paint, make it street legal, new knobby tires, tune it up, and bring the adventure back to trails like the White Rim:victory:

After the engine or something explodes I'll pull the tub off and do some more extensive work... until then I'll see how far it goes:smiley_drive:

LilKJ

Adventurer
Awesome!

You doing the "back packer" approach or is a trailer in the future?

The trailer and RTT will be staying at home when the Willys goes out.... dry bags full of camp gear will just get strapped in the back:sombrero:

MarcM

Very cool! Looks like you will have some good stories to tell, both in working over the Jeep and in where it takes you. Very nice!

gpwpat

Adventurer
Nice, I alway thought it would be cool to do a vintage jeep trip on white rim. I myself am a fan of the origional jeeps. I have put 10K miles on my L head origional motor. They run great. are reliable and easy to fix. just be sure to have a few spairs for expeditions, like, fan belt, fuel pump diaphragm, ignition components, you know the regular old car stuff. you never know what will go when you don't want it to.

LilKJ

Adventurer
Wow... looking at your sig you have quite the collection there...

I may be hitting you up for a question or two:smiley_drive:

wely

Observer
I love the old GPs

I also love the old school GPs. I have My wife's grandfather's jeep. I hope to have mine running soon.

LilKJ

Adventurer
Well this one runs great (once I did a little tune-up)... so all the work is either interior or cosmetic. I can live with that.

Here's how it sits just now... a little stripped:Wow1:... but I'm not removing the tub until breakage forces me to. I want to drive it, not work on it:smiley_drive:

IMG_3341resize.jpg

Stan the Man

Adventurer
Thats awesome! That would be one sweet summer time daily driver IMO. First thing I would have to do is move the seats back about 8" :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy