The original expedition vehicle...

LilKJ

Adventurer
Roll some paint on it and focus on the good stuff.

I absolutely would if winter wasn't looming... I even moved it to my GF's house in New Mexico so I can have a couple more weeks outside to work on it:ylsmoke: I really want to get it painted before it gets too cold....

My only focus just now is to remove as much rust as i can and try to keep things from getting any worse than they are... Once that's done I play with it until it breaks. :smiley_drive: Then fix it, and play with it some more.

RedDog

Explorer
Very cool. Our local club President has two of them. I'm always amazed how small they are, or conversely, how overly large newer Jeeps have become. There seems to be new side by side quads getting close to the size of his CJ's.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Hey LilKJ,

I grew up on Cortez, and my huntin' buddy had a Ford that looked a just like that. I was always amazed at what that little jeep would crawl over and through.

Cool ride.

Wish I had one like it, and still lived in SW CO.

Enjoy it to the fullest!

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Very cool. Our local club President has two of them. I'm always amazed how small they are, or conversely, how overly large newer Jeeps have become. There seems to be new side by side quads getting close to the size of his CJ's.

Yeah, it's kinda wild how small they are...

That said, my grandfather was ~5'8", my Dad was 5'10", I'm 6' and I expect my boys will be bigger than I am.

New vehicles are bigger because they have to be - at least that is my pet theory of the moment.

Explorer
My good friend and I both bought willys out of high school. He focused his efforts on rebuilding the original running gear while I opted to "upgrade" to a 283 v8 with larger suspension and rubber. I ended up selling my death trap abortion because it seemed a novelty, but my friend is still driving his restored jeep to this day.

I learned my lesson and gained a lot of appreciation for 40 hp and factory engineering!

Congrats on the new ride!

LilKJ

Adventurer
My good friend and I both bought willys out of high school. He focused his efforts on rebuilding the original running gear while I opted to "upgrade" to a 283 v8 with larger suspension and rubber. I ended up selling my death trap abortion because it seemed a novelty, but my friend is still driving his restored jeep to this day.

I learned my lesson and gained a lot of appreciation for 40 hp and factory engineering!

Congrats on the new ride!

Hey now!!! Don't be short changing me.... it's 60hp bub... haha

...and it is a tiny ride... about the only vehicle that makes my KJ look big
l_b3834852a9834eab8ae0ccb4f76ee979.jpg

Last edited:

troy

Adventurer
My Dad has two CJ2As. One is completely restored to look like the military version. The other is an un-restored tan with red wheels. Both are a blast to drive.

When I visit him, I make it a point to get up early and take a trip for the Sunday paper. They live about 15 miles from the nearest town. Cruising down the gravel roads is so much fun.

Bolt a couple Gas cans to the back and a spare and see how far you can go. I tried to buy his tan one from him and he wouldn't sell it. So I bought a suzuki LJ20, very similar size to a willy's only slightly smaller.

I would recomend some sort of seatbelt, at least a lap belt. I've hit a bump before and nearly was ejected.

Have fun.

gpwpat

Adventurer
Anywhere from free to 20K. depending on condition. Column shift is worth more for collectors. if it has the small bolt on stuff it is worth alot. I sold an origional set of 2A to bows for 500 bucks. I have bought a jeep similar to the one here for a buck. but the average price is between $1500 and $3500.
WWII cost more than CJ due to demand.

DSC05152.JPG

DSC05147.JPG

DSC03086s.jpg

here is a picture of my group of buddies taking our WWII jeeps on a 200 mi weekend run into the mountains.

LilKJ

Adventurer
Mine was right at the $1500 mark.... for an original running "very early" 2A...

A lot more work got done on it... here's how it sits just now:

IMG_3350resize.jpg

gpwpat

Adventurer
don't be afraid to take it back as origional as you want / can afford. Early jeeps are very capable in their origional state and with origional running gear. As stated before. the further origional you take it the more it is worth and to me even more fun. But don't be afraid to use it. I wanted an origional WWII jeep. so I bought one. when the clutch went out I took the jeep apart and restored it to brand new condition. but I never hesitated to use it and get it dirty. that is where the adventure is. The origional sound from the 60 hp go devil engine, the origional smells from the canvas, the feel of the narrow tires. It all is part of the adventure.

here is my before and after glamor shot.

jeepleft1.jpg

p51jeep.JPG

Last edited:

Stan the Man

Adventurer
Sorry for the hijack, but what do you guys think of this Jeep. Guy claims its a '46 CJ2A, converted to 12v and has been "totally gone through". It looks to be in good shape IMO. He wants $4k...

3kd3m03o85Pd5S45R69b4d793e221f95c1c8e.jpg

3md3p73le5Qe5P65Ra9b4b099bd1176b41a42.jpg

3nd3mb3o95Q65Pd5Ra9b478f242a437201c6c.jpg

LilKJ

Adventurer
Sorry for the hijack, but what do you guys think of this Jeep. Guy claims its a '46 CJ2A, converted to 12v and has been "totally gone through". It looks to be in good shape IMO. He wants $4k...

3kd3m03o85Pd5S45R69b4d793e221f95c1c8e.jpg

3md3p73le5Qe5P65Ra9b4b099bd1176b41a42.jpg

3nd3mb3o95Q65Pd5Ra9b478f242a437201c6c.jpg

That's not a 2A... 2A's have 7 slats in the grille and the spare mounts on the passenger rear (among other things). That looks like a Ford GPW (army)... very cool. I'd be curious what exactly the seller did to it if he doesn't know what he has... if it's anything like it looks it's worth much more than $4k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy