The original expedition vehicle...

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
It could be what he says it is... although from what I can see it at least has a CJ3A/M38 windshield frame swapped on.

Can't tell by the images posted but IIRC if it doesn't have the indentations in the tub for tool storage it is likely a CJ2A.

Or a mongrel of parts...

If you have the $4k to spend on it jump at it.

gpwpat

Adventurer
the body and grill are WWII. hard to tell if it is a ford or willys. Only WWII bodies had a glove box, and tool boxes in the rear wheel wells. the wind shield is from a M-38. If it is origional under teh hood it is probably worth 6K

James86004

Expedition Leader
Very cool. Our local club President has two of them. I'm always amazed how small they are, or conversely, how overly large newer Jeeps have become. There seems to be new side by side quads getting close to the size of his CJ's.

I have a buddy who recently spent $10k on a side-by-side quad, and the next day he saw one of the old CJs for sale for half the price and in great condition. He bought the CJ and returned the quad.

LilKJ

Adventurer
GPWpat re: keeping it original-

I completely agree with you... and that's why I'm only fixing, not changing (excluding paint). It's 90% original as it sits and still works great at 63 years old... who am I to try to improve on that? haha

gpwpat

Adventurer
I have a buddy that has an origional WWII jeep like mine he has taken it on the rubicon every year for the last 40 years. he has changed the gears in the transfercase though. and for the rubicon trips he said he has to use stickier tires now. and cant get the traction on the slick rock with the orig style tires.

There are alot of modified early jeeps out there. That is what makes an origional worth more. There are not many left and so many people did their work to modify them.

you might want to look into getting some sort of top. Mostly for the shade. I don't run doors or side curtains on my jeep as they didn't have that origionally. But on long trips, it is nice to have the shade.

troy

Adventurer
GPWPat, RE: column shift for collectors.

My Dad is fixing up one of his CJ2As right now and it has the 3spd on the column. How much does this add to the value? Also in your opinion, it came with a half hard top, that I think is cool, but my Dad wants to get rid of it. Does this add value?

He isn't doing these for investment purposes, but it doesn't hurt.

LilKJ - I absolutely love the idea of this build and the simplicity of just getting out. Best of all, it is budget friendly and accessible for just about anyone.

LilKJ

Adventurer
GPWPat, RE: column shift for collectors.

My Dad is fixing up one of his CJ2As right now and it has the 3spd on the column. How much does this add to the value? Also in your opinion, it came with a half hard top, that I think is cool, but my Dad wants to get rid of it. Does this add value?

He isn't doing these for investment purposes, but it doesn't hurt.

LilKJ - I absolutely love the idea of this build and the simplicity of just getting out. Best of all, it is budget friendly and accessible for just about anyone.

The column shift adds no value whatsoever... I'll give you $50 for it:sombrero:

gpwpat

Adventurer
I found this video on You tube. Now I want a CJ2a for my collection. looks like a great adventure. with the V6 he can go highway speeds. with the flat 4 it takes you longer. If I was to do longer trips I would definatly get an overdrive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEQjZEBDWNg

Man I am ready for an adventure. I am so ready to build a jeep like this and take off for a few weeks. Lets see what do I have in the inventory.

check out these guys adventure.

http://willystrip.wordpress.com/

Last edited:

wely

Observer
I love to watch the videos of old CJ's in action. I believe saving these old jewels makes us all greener! I am attempting to reduce, reuse, & recycle all the old Cj's I can find!

LilKJ

Adventurer
I found this video on You tube. Now I want a CJ2a for my collection. looks like a great adventure. with the V6 he can go highway speeds. with the flat 4 it takes you longer. If I was to do longer trips I would definatly get an overdrive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEQjZEBDWNg

Man I am ready for an adventure. I am so ready to build a jeep like this and take off for a few weeks. Lets see what do I have in the inventory.

check out these guys adventure.

http://willystrip.wordpress.com/

If I'm not mistaken, those guys wer eon the Moab Rim in a 2A with no roll bar:Wow1:... wow.... not sure I would do that...

LilKJ

Adventurer
Here's what it look slike just now:

IMG_3424resize.jpg

I found some army seats online and they are a vast improvement over the ghetto buckets someone had in there. Nothing too exciting to report... just little pieces of body work.:ylsmoke:

LilKJ

Adventurer
Too busy prepping my KJ for 3 weeks in Baja (leaving in 2 weeks)... work on the Willys will resume once I get back from Meh-hee-ko in March.:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy