The original expedition vehicle...

LilKJ

Adventurer
Not sure if your planning on "swimming" this thing but I'd like to offer that unless you fully seal the ignition and all other electrical connections you will have some issues. While these in military form were available to ford water...as they get older the little rubber seals for connectors crack and can lead to a huge electrical nightmare.
Also, don't forget to extend the exhaust...if you eat to much the gas has to go somewhere!:sombrero: If you don't get some extendz for your rear and you let off the gas...it will die. Usually right in the middle of a water source.!.

Actually there is a very clever series of things you must do to get these thigns to go underwater... everything from a waterproof cover for the carb, remote vents for the distributor and all drivetrain... and a remote PCV lockout to create 1-2 psi positive pressure in the crankcase to keep water from seeping in through the poorly sealed engine. There are entire army manuals dedicated to prepping this Jeep for deep water fording...:smiley_drive:

LilKJ

Adventurer
A little bit more work got done... the rain kept me stuck inside today :(

Interior bolted down... found out my new tire size won't fit on the rear rack (grrrr)... the bed is the only place it'll fit. Going to have to make a mount for it.
IMG_0660resize.jpg

My fenders also have the factory mounting holes for the military spotlights... I tried out some that I had sitting around and they're just a touch too big and interfere with the hood latch. Some Hella 500's should fit just fine...
IMG_0661resize.jpg

It's slowly becoming a real vehicle... hooray

Only thing keeping me from a long test drive is a working temp gauge... come on Mr. UPS man....

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Dangerous Colorado!!!!

Looking great man! Keep pecking away!
I wanted to post this (not mine) just to show some of why I consider Colorado a DANGER...to my bank account!!! I'm glad I'm deployed and then going to Germany...I would be so broke living there!!! My mantra lately has been "I can't save them all...!" So here is this one!

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1762843158.html

just yummy...and the right color (to me) too!:drool:

not a flatty but here is my old 55 CJ 5 (I sold it a few years back) I got it when I was stationed at Ft. Wainwright in Fairbanks Alaska
camping in July before I went nuts on the build
File0022.jpg
[/IMG]

about 4 months later
File0071.jpg
[/IMG]

I am currently shopping for an M38 if anyone has one they want to sell :)

mikeg1713

Adventurer
Great project. It looks like you have a early 46. The windshild could be with some cash because it's a ww2 not a cj. The m38 that was made for water fording was a CJV-35/U. There are lots of stuff you need to do to them for deep water. If you need parts or have questions feel free to ask. I've owned 20 or so cj2a's over the years. Also chech out www.thecj2apage.com for the message board. You can find all the orig stuff you need there. I've been building mine for over 5 years. It's a lot of fun. Looks like you have a great start for a killer little jeep. I have all my stuff on YouTube search mikeg576 if your interested. I'm glad you posted this. I love to see other peoples Willys projects. Keep posting your updates.

LilKJ

Adventurer
Great project. It looks like you have a early 46. The windshild could be with some cash because it's a ww2 not a cj. The m38 that was made for water fording was a CJV-35/U. There are lots of stuff you need to do to them for deep water. If you need parts or have questions feel free to ask. I've owned 20 or so cj2a's over the years. Also chech out www.thecj2apage.com for the message board. You can find all the orig stuff you need there. I've been building mine for over 5 years. It's a lot of fun. Looks like you have a great start for a killer little jeep. I have all my stuff on YouTube search mikeg576 if your interested. I'm glad you posted this. I love to see other peoples Willys projects. Keep posting your updates.

Hey there:victory:

Yep, mine's a VEC model. Axles are army, windshield is army, plus the tool indents. I didn't go too in depth about the V-35 because I figured most people on this site don't care too much about the details... they just want the pics when it's done:coffeedrink:

I'm about 1/2 way through the full process that the V-35 engine's went through for waterproofing. Pretty much impossible to get the waterproof metal distributors, but aside from that it'll be good to go.

Always looking for parts... what ya got?:ylsmoke:

mikeg1713

Adventurer
What's your ser# run? The indents ran till mid 46 and the full float ran till just befor the indents ended. The amfib kits are still around and most of my stuff comes from a guy here in Maryland or north carolina. I may have a good 2a windshild. I have a local guy with a wall of 1950's Dana 44s off the m38s. If you're looking for something let me know. I've been playing with flattys since 1999. If you haven't already join the willys forums. I say screw the purests. It's your jeep not theirs. They will help out anyway just as long as there is another flat fender on the road. That's the important part. Make a online photo album if you haven't. I'd love to the details!

LilKJ

Adventurer
What's your ser# run? The indents ran till mid 46 and the full float ran till just befor the indents ended. The amfib kits are still around and most of my stuff comes from a guy here in Maryland or north carolina. I may have a good 2a windshild. I have a local guy with a wall of 1950's Dana 44s off the m38s. If you're looking for something let me know. I've been playing with flattys since 1999. If you haven't already join the willys forums. I say screw the purests. It's your jeep not theirs. They will help out anyway just as long as there is another flat fender on the road. That's the important part. Make a online photo album if you haven't. I'd love to the details!

I'm already on earlycj5 and thecj2apage.... they're quite the helpful bunch in locating random little parts. My firewall tag is #14744 and the frame tag, ACM, parts, etc all match.

I agree, to an extent, about the "purists"... my only rule was that I'm not cutting anything.(but I will take advantage of holes the PO's cut ;) ) I know it's far from "correct" to convert a 2A with the amfib parts, but the army did such a good job of ficing all the problems... why wouldn't I take advantage of that?:coffeedrink:

Right now I'm just looking for all the little odds and ends... MC inspection cover, second L-head, pioneer tools and mounts, etc. Most of it is kinda doubtfull I'll find used... gonna have to fork out the $$$$ for the resto-goodies

mikeg1713

Adventurer
I may have a master cyn cover and my buddy may have the mounts for the tools. Quadratec.com has them if I don't have the cover or can't get the tool mounts. Jason A. is my guy there. Tell him mike g from Adams Jeep sent you. I'll look thru my stuff this week and see what I have. I do have axle jam nuts, axle & axle pinion seals, a front and rear axle and spare trans/ transfercase. Don't have a motor but the guy that may have the tool mounts has one or two rebuilt l-heads. Only problem is all of this is in Baltimore. Not a real big issue for light stuff but a bit $$$$$ for the heavy things.

LilKJ

Adventurer
Got some more work done today.... feeling lazy though and decided it's beer thirty :)

Check the new cargo rack... not quite done with it though. Loving the way it turned out though. You can also see where the extended exhaust will be coming out. A brace from the rack will support the exhaust. No new holes will be cut for the rack install... the whole thing is going to clamp itself to the inner lip of the tub. Booya.
IMG_2670resize.jpg

Also got the snorkel mocked up. No, the spray can lid is not permanent. Just need to find a good top for it.
IMG_2668resize.jpg

More of the snorkel and my fancy new rear-view mirror. Exhaust is just mocked up to see the height.... actual exhaust is much smaller.
IMG_2671resize.jpg

Broke down and got some turn signals :( .... plus you can see where the snorkel routes under the dash. It mounts in the factory data plate holes and the data plate mounts right on top in its factory location.
IMG_2669resize.jpg

This thing is getting Expolicious :)

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Smaller and smaller...

Everytime you post my shorts shrink a little bit!!!:Wow1:
I really, REALLY dig the idea of the rack in the back! What a fantastic idea! I may have to ste...er, borrow that thought for my Scrambler if thats ok? Seems like if you made two that mirrored eachother and hinged it you could sort of fold it out for a make-shift sleeping platform? Just a quick thought. Keep on truckin'...I'm holding my breath!

BlueBomber

Adventurer
Its been a week since your last update...........I NEED MY JEEP FIX!!!!!!!! NOWWW!!!
Also, hows the deep water kit coming along?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Here is my junkyard mutt of a Willys......

P1010381Medium.jpg

P1010377Medium.jpg

Keep up the good work....they are a blast in Moab!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy