The SOS Report. The Full Story

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Chapter 5:
Big Rocks, Big Goodbyes

We awoke in our lovely valley to a dew covered chilly morning. Luckily the sun poked over the top of the mountains and warmed us up to get us moving better. We still took our time however, enjoying the lovely morning and mountainous peaks.

Then we hit the road. This time through the water, we weren't quiet so...rambunctious.

IMG_5960 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_5964 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_5968 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

We then head off back into Cooke City where we refueled at the same gas station as before. From there, we embarked off in too a most dangerous area.

Tourist country....

Yellowstone.

Amazingly, mostly due to traffic, none of us got any photos of us going through the North East gate. ha.

We where back amongst reality and people. And after being away from large amounts of people for over a week now, we didn't exactly like it. But Timmy and Ben had never been through the park so we had decided to take the long way back home to Powell through the park.

Really, once you block out the people and traffic, its really is an amazing place with lots of beautiful scenic areas and mountains. The drive through Lamar Valley was fantastic where we saw upwards of 200+ buffalo and just as many Pronghorns.

After turning south at Tower towards Canyon we had to stop at Tower overlook.

IMG_5974 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
SOSMeet.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

The mighty Yellowstone River. And of course some of the signature yellow stained rock that gives Yellowstone its name.

But we were having almost just as much fun pulling in and out of parking lots. The looks we got from people who had barely even seen a 4x4 truck in their lives was priceless. Many people gaped at our excessively muddy trucks with the big tires and would point. Even take pictures. Couldn't help but smile knowing that almost none of these people would ever see what we had seen over the last week. Or understand why we do what we do.

With that we continued south to Canyon village and on the way stopped off at the Mt Washburn Peak pull out.

SOS meet-2.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

It would be the only dirt road we would hit inside the park. Its very short and an insanely rough washboard road. But stops at a point where you can overlook some of Lamar valley and is just beautiful. You have to hike to the top of Mt Washburn to the fire watch tower, which if you have the time I recommend. Its pretty cool.

As we pulled up and started getting lunch ready, we had a nice visiter walk by, not 25 feet from us.

IMG_5983 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_8258 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_8261 by digirat99, on Flickr

After that fun encounter we enjoyed the view with a windy lunch.

IMG_5989 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_8262 by digirat99, on Flickr

Then off towards Canyon we went again with the main goal of stopping at one of the biggest iconic parts of Yellowstone.

SOS meet.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_8266 by digirat99, on Flickr

The Falls

IMG_6011 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_8267 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_8270 by digirat99, on Flickr
SOSMeet-6.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

This nest was a huge attraction, that and the guy with a Nikon DSLR and a 600mm lens shooting them.

IMG_6005 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

The views there are incredible and we ended up walking around the many paths to get different views of it. But eventually got back n the trucks and headed south to one of my areas of the whole park. Hayden Valley. This vast open rolling meadow area almost never disapoints with animal sightings. As we passed there was of course a big traffic stop and we found out it was a bear Sow and her two cubs. But very far way so we moved on and stopped an an area more open.

What a pretty place.

IMG_8290 by digirat99, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Chapter 5 Continued

Our next stop was yet another favorite spot of mine, Pelican point. A small picnic area what has a small sand bar that juts out into Yellowstone Lake with a beautiful view of the very nice and historic Lake Hotel.

IMG_8291 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_6028 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

By now we were dodging small little bursts of rain, free truck wash!

IMG_6025 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
SOSMeet-7.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Then we were off to yet another, if not the most, iconic part of the park. Old Faithful Inn, where we decided to get some delicious ice cream and take a nice walk on the board walks to see some hot springs while we waited for Old Faithful to recharge before its next eruption. Gotta say, these things are cool to see in person. I was a bit sad we didn't have more time to go see more in other areas.

SOSMeet-10.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
SOSMeet-11.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
SOS meet-3.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_8305 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_8307 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_6061 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

The Lodge is rather large now.

IMG_8311 by digirat99, on Flickr
SOS meet-4.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_6063 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
SOSMeet-14.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_8331 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_8332 by digirat99, on Flickr

Some of the amazing original handy work done in the original lodge.

SOSMeet-16.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

After some ice cream is was to the main board walks to watch Old Faithful go off. Just about everyone knows about this geyser. It goes off like clock work. While it used to be almost every 30 minutes it is now about every 90 minutes. Just in my life time it has gone from 60 to 90 minutes. But its still like clock work. I predicted to the minute within seconds when it would go off. Because I'm a native Wyoming person of course, no luck was involved at all...

But before it went off, the people watching was in full swing. Every time the geyser would “burp” or seem like it was about to go. The whole crowd would light up with their cameras as if they were watching professional athlete at the Olympics.

IMG_8342 by digirat99, on Flickr
SOSMeet-17.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

But I would be lying if I said we didn't take our own photos of Old Faithful when it decided to blow off its super heated water.

IMG_6091 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_8351 by digirat99, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Chapter 5 Continued

We were now faced with a bit of an issue. Where to camp. Before this wasn't quiet as big an issue, just find a place. But we were in the middle of tourist country where camping spots are fought over, paid for in advanced, and held for days at a time. We didn't exactly want to pay for camping either and after a quick chat with a ranger who told us everything was basically full, we had one choice.

Leave the park.

It didn't resolve our free camping issue though. The East Gate was the way to go but camping was still hard to find as other tourists took these spots as well, and you still had to pay. But, I knew of a place we could park totally free. A friends cabin would work perfect. I knew it had ample room for all our rigs and a fire ring. All we needed. We had 90 miles to go with the night approaching fast, and I knew the sunset would be phenomenal at the lake so we took off as fast as the 45mph speed limit in the park would let us.

On our way out, Yellowstone gave us a few more parting gifts, the first being this absolute pig of a bull Elk.
SOSMeet-18.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

The next was the light. Something about the Wyoming sunsets are just magical. The light is always so good. Makes for a hay day for photography.

IMG_6108 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
SOSMeet-4.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_8364 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_8366 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_6117 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

I was loving it.
IMG_6119 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

We then scrambled up to the last stop till camp, Lake Over Look, to catch the remaining sunlight.

SOS meet-7.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_8374 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_6123 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_6135 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

Lucky for us a tour bus showed up as well. These buses are pretty cool really.

IMG_6147 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

We then headed down the mountain to camp. It had been a long day of asphalt, but we weren't disappointed. After a quick dinner we sat around and looked back on our trip so far and how it would soon end. But not before one of the funnest trails of the trip and by far the hardest. We still had to stop off in Powell before we left as Jess had to sadly go home and we had to try and repair Ben's CB.

Needless to say we slept very well.

King Rock by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

We awoke and packed up like clockwork the next day and set off to Powell. With plenty of things to do and miles to go we didn't want to waste too much time. The road home follows the North Fork of the Shoshone River and makes for some very nice views.

IMG_6149 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

Then Frank threw a fit again, my 4 channel amp driving my main speakers decided to fry. Quiet literally, I took it apart at a later time and 4 transistors melted. No stereo is no fun! I ended buying a new amp in town and wiring it up before we left. But we ended up pulled off here while I looked at things. Pretty cool spot.

IMG_6151 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_8396 by digirat99, on Flickr
SOSMeet-26.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

We then headed out playing leap frog as we stopped for pictures at other spots. There was just so many great things to see.

IMG_8401 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_6156 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Chapter 5 Continued

Our rendezvous point was a big one. A Dam. THE Dam. Buffalo Bill Dam was the reason the area I grew up in could support people. In 1910 at the end of its construction it was the tallest Dam in the world. It supplies drinking water to thousands of people and irrigation water to 93,000 acres of farm land as well as hydroelectric power. It's pretty cool to see as its also one of the only Dams in the country you can still walk on top of.

IMG_8402 by digirat99, on Flickr

And the mass of water it holds back. Used to be a small town out there. Its now under 623,557 acre feet. Or in other words- 27,162,142,920 billion cubic feet.

IMG_8406 by digirat99, on Flickr

And at 350 feet tall, it'll make your balls shrink looking over...

BuffaloBillDam by bspringli photography, on Flickr

After this fun detour came one of my favorite parts. The tunnels.

SOSMeet-27.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

There are three of them but only one is really long enough to be any fun. And we made the most of it. Tunnel blasting for the win! That is if you have a loud exhaust....:anon: I enjoyed it immensely..:devil:

From here we rolled into Cody where we branched off to do some shopping and parts runs. It really is the world capitol of rodeo! Rodeo every night for 3 months.

IMG_8412 by digirat99, on Flickr

Then off to Powell we went and did the last of our errands. The worst being saying good bye to Jess for the last bit of the trip, as she had prior engagements. I rewelded Ben's CB antenna mount although it didn't seem to help much leading us to believe his radio had fried. While I wired in a new amp for music, Timmy decided to get....intimate with Frankenstein...not sure why...

IMG_8413 by digirat99, on Flickr

But once again it was a race to get to a camping spot before dark and we had a long road ahead, our next destination being Lander. Of course when we actually got close to the trail head for our campsite, there was road construction. Bad road construction. I think we sat waiting for 20mins if not longer. By the time we started moving again, it was dark.

SOS meet-9.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

I lead the pack into the dark abyss to get to our campsite. Having tons of lights does pay off!

Once we got to camp and all setup, sadly Timmy informed us that he would not be joining us for our last trail of our trip. He wanted the time he had left to hit some other spots on the way back to California. As much as we teased and begged him to join us on the trail, we finally gave in and accepted he wouldn't be there to partake in the last trail. Shoshone Lake.

The next morning I was excited to get to our trail as I loved Shoshone lake. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed the sun christened day as we made our way out of Sinks canyon.

IMG_8415 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_6175 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_8422 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_8423 by digirat99, on Flickr

We of course had to stop and show Timmy the Sink. This massive hole swallows the raging Middle Popo Agie River where upon it disappears underground. And no one knows where it goes. All they know is it takes about 2 hours for something to resurface just about half a mile down the canyon. Pretty fascinating and mysterious.

IMG_8431 by digirat99, on Flickr

Im a real model!
IMG_6191 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_8456 by digirat99, on Flickr

Now this is where the river reappears. It just comes out of the ground from a hole straight up. Due to the constant current from this. This small area of river never freezes, which is good for the fish. That and having tourists constantly feeding them makes for some very VERY fat trout. These trout are HUGE. Salmon sized.

IMG_8451 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_6200 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

Sorry gentlemen..no fishing allowed.

We then stop in town for some lunch where our good friend Marc drops in to join us. After a nice burger we say a fond farewell to Timmy. It had been a lot of fun having him with us and we wished him safe travels as he leaves on the long road home.

Our road was going to be a lot shorter but a hell of a lot more rocky. And we got right too it. The original Three Amigos for the final trail.

IMG_8462 by digirat99, on Flickr

While technically the trail doesn't start till the top of the first mountain, getting up there is fun. The first section had a long flat road the is made of red powder. For any Geological geeks, its from the Chug water formation. But it can be a hazard and we had to spread out quiet a ways to avoid blinding each other.

IMG_8464 by digirat99, on Flickr
SOSMeet-3.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
SOSMeet-3.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

After that the climb starts. And it won't stop really till we hit the final altitude of 10,500' at Cyclone Pass.

IMG_8471 by digirat99, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Chapter 5 Continued

At the trail head we regroup and set our order up. Then begin up the main mountain.

SOSMeet-4.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
SOSMeet-5.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
SOSMeet-6.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
SOSMeet-7.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

And the rocks begin! Warning sign and everything

IMG_6222 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
SOSMeet-9.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_6223 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_8480 by digirat99, on Flickr

After a long climb of semi rough road we come to the top. Cyclone pass. Every time I come here, and I mean EVERY time. Blows me away.

IMG_8484 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_8483 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_6226 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_6234 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_6239 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

We had made great time compared to the last time the 3 of us were here. But the worst part was next. The decent down to the lake itself is by far the worst part of this trail. It takes a lot of focus and concentration on picking lines. In fact, that is the worst part. There is no break on the section, its a grueling 2 miles of rocks and you must pay attention the whole time. Especially if your name is Ben and you only have sliders and 32'' tires. But as long as you pay attention, you will be totally fine.

Unfortunately for you the reader, this means not a lot of photos since we really had to drive this part more.

So it begins.

IMG_6250 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_6254 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
SOSMeet-16.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
SOSMeet-11.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_6257 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Chapter 5 Continued

But doesn't mean we can't have a little fun. Like flexing our rigs out on big rocks fun :D

IMG_8509 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_8516x by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_6261 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
SOSMeet-19.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
SOSMeet-20.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
SOSMeet-15.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
SOSMeet-18.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_6268 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

After the fun we continued on to the lake inching our way there in 1st gear the whole way.

SOSMeet-24.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
SOSMeet-13.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
SOSMeet-14.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_6270 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
SOSMeet-19.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Before long the 2 mile section was in our rearview mirrors, our skids and sliders with new scars. But we had made it and were ready to setup camp early for the first time in two nights.

IMG_6273 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_8522 by digirat99, on Flickr

Camp was setup just inside the trees on the lake side. The perfect spot.

IMG_8556 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_8524 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_6304 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

Once the fire was going and beds were made. We all kind of wandered off to just enjoy ourselves for a minute and really soaking in the area.

SOSMeet-25.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_8527 by digirat99, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Chapter 5 Continued

We eventually all reconvened with each other at the lake side and enjoyed watching the sun set with the clouds rolling in hoping for a rainless night. With a moment of reflection on the whole trip and how great the areas were we had been. It was peaceful with just us out at the lake.

IMG_6278 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
SOSMeet-29.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_6307 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

As night set in we enjoyed our last campfire together. It had been another fantastic trip for the books. So many things had gone so wrong for us. And yet, we survived and still had a great time with more memories and storys to tell then ever before. Saying good night was hard that night but we eventually all made our way into our beds hoping that there would be no storm.

Camping under the Cosmos by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

It was worse then a storm.

Wind.

Now for all you non Wyoming folks, wind might not seem like such a big deal. Well, here, it is. When in blows here, it'll knock you down. Not so fun in tents that make a lot of noise. I don't think any of us slept great that night. The wind was constant and very strong snapping and slapping our tent fabrics loudly. On top of that it really made it cold. So cold that in the morning Ben got up early and sat in his truck with his coffee and fired up the truck for heat.

It wasn't the best night to end the trip on. But then again, it seemed fitting.

As we left we were greeted with a nice rainbow

IMG_6311 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

Which just meant that rain could be coming again. And going up what we had just come down in the wet was not something we exactly wanted to do. So we hit the trail hoping to dodge any rain that might make its way over.

IMG_8566 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_6313 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_6315 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oUhwzt]
IMG_6317 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
15047628811_b24d75bb71_b.jpg
[/url]SOSMeet-32.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_6318 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_6322 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
SOSMeet-20.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Chapter 5 Continued

The climb out went very smooth and we beat the rain. All was well and we took one last look down into the beautiful valley.

IMG_6326 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_8571 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_6333 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

Found another spot to have fun on. But not as nice as the other one.

SOSMeet-37.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
SOSMeet-23.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_6336 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

We also passed this cool old Land Crusier pulled off to the side. Probably a wise choice, was a bit of a low hanger for some of the rocks that lay ahead. Looked like a cool truck though!

IMG_8581 by digirat99, on Flickr
IMG_8587 by digirat99, on Flickr
SOSMeet-38.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
SOSMeet-39.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Once we hit town again we called our friend Marc for lunch and he wanted to go play around to which we obviously said yes too.

IMG_8592 by digirat99, on Flickr

And we all took a ride in the Big Cheese machine.

IMG_6341 by bspringli photography, on Flickr
IMG_8594 by digirat99, on Flickr

From here, it was time for me to say goodbye. I had to get home and pack for school back east. Ben and Mike had to start heading back home west.

It had been the biggest craziest adventure we had had in the 4 years we had known each other. Ironically, it all took place in places we had already been. Before we started we hadn't thought it would have been so different and hadn't expected anything exciting really at all. But, it never goes like you thought it would. No trip is ever the same. And I am damn glad I got to go on this one with my friends and family. I will never forget it and may this thread forever be an archive of it. Thank you guys for wheeling with me and being my friends.

While not the big explosive finish I know it started with. I really do hope anyone who has taken the time to read this story and really look at most the photos that you have enjoyed the journey. While I know you weren't there, I hope you took something from it. Anything. Be it, do maintenance more, to pack more parts, to enjoy the little moments or stop and take a photo. I can only hope that this adventure has inspired you in some small way to get out and enjoy your own adventures with the people you love in the places you love doing what you love.

Until next time ladies and gents. Tread lightly. I'll see you on the trail.

For now, I have already started planning my next big adventure with my friends. :cool:

So....

What's your story going to be?

The End

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Credits:

Narration, Photo's and Photo's Complied by: Monte, Driver of Frankenstein
IMG_5752 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

Additional Photo's by:

Ben, Driver of The Green Machine
SOSMeet-53.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Mike, Driver of The Red Head
IMG_5403 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

Marc, Driver of The Big Cheese
IMG_5509 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

Josh, Driver of...well..not named yet..
SOSMeet-52.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Other cool people that were in the story

Timmy, Driver of C'Bob
SOSMeet-73.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Dad, Driver of The FRV(and really, dead Frankenstein)
IMG_5170 by bspringli photography, on Flickr

Jen, Wife of Marc
SOSMeet-59.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Jess, Girl friend
SOSMeet-10.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

And my awesome Brother, Sister, and amazing Mother.

Thank you all. I love you guys!

Other Trip Reports:

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
Well Monte, I'm on chapter 4 but I need to go to bed.... leaves me something good to read while I'm at work tomorrow!

Awesome so far. Love the amazing photos to go with a truly memorable story and adventure. I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling inspired to get out and explore after reading (only part of) this report.

PS - Remember how I was saying I want to drive down there and meet up soon, well when is the 2015 trip scheduled?

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Awesome write up, great pictures, great story. Keep them coming!

Thanks! I'll be sure to continue posting.

Well Monte, I'm on chapter 4 but I need to go to bed.... leaves me something good to read while I'm at work tomorrow!

Awesome so far. Love the amazing photos to go with a truly memorable story and adventure. I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling inspired to get out and explore after reading (only part of) this report.

PS - Remember how I was saying I want to drive down there and meet up soon, well when is the 2015 trip scheduled?

haha well it'll be good for work reading :D haha

Glad you are enjoying it Rick.

Yea man! when we get our plans more ironed out i'll let ya know. But if anything, you make some plans and id be happy to meet you somewhere on a weekend if anything and offer lots of help and such. I'll be sure to PM you probably after christmas. Should have a rough idea of what we are gonna be doing by then.

SmoothLC

Explorer
Epic!

What a great trip.

Thanks for sharing.

I really need to spend a little more time on the east side of those mountains. For some reason I always find myself on the west side!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal