The start of my own Ambo Expo rig

catmandu

Observer
I am out of town this weekend or I would be at your place observing! Hope it goes well and give me a shout when she is taller so I can check it out.

And now for something completely different...

PgvQEY3.jpg

She's BIG!!! the 129 is eye level with me (I'm 5'8)

Took me all weekend but the new axle is in! I need to rebuild the axle shafts and get my wheels and tires mounts and buy shocks next.

Ill be working on the rear this week. Hopefully Ill have it sitting level very soon.

One item of concern is the axle placement, it doesnt look right. As its to far towards the rear. Could I have installed the springs backwards? I have the big spring eye bushing in the front hanger and the smaller spring eye bushing in the shackle. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Tires are 285-70-19.5', roughly 35-36" tall.

I flipped my front springs and no improvement :( custom springs might be in order :( I'll get the rear buttoned up and get the wheels mounted first before I make up my mind. I want to get this finished up for the Woodward dream cruise that's coming up in a month!

AMBOT

Adventurer
Are you keeping the duals? The 285's say they need a minimum 7.5 wide wheel, ideally 8.25. I suspect the 19.5s are 6.75 if you are going dual. Any concern there? I'm having the same concern with my ambo on whether to go with a steel srw or aluminum duals. Getting the same ujor 6".

Got some more done this weekend.

To start off I ordered new springs from Chris, so that will take care of my front axle location issues.

I completed the rear shackle flip, not to difficult but a pain in the ********. Had almost 0 clearance on the drivers side but got the job done.

I ordered the conversion spacer/adapters (1.5") and should have them this week.

I need to get my new front springs before I decide on how much rear block Ill put in, hopefully less than 2". 2" is fine 3" is borderline and anything above that is no good.

This weeks fun is to install the t-case and work on the cable shifter for it, start the re-wiring underneath (not fun) and install new front axle u joints & longer brake lines.

Ill take some new pics later today.

Last edited:

New springs are in and damn it's looking good!

Need to level out the back to see how much block will be needed.

Did some measurements and discovered a F250 crew cab short bed drive shaft will bolt in place so no need to do major modification.

I'm trying to finish this up for the upcoming Woodward dream cruise. It will be down to the wire!

85burbanator

That was strange. I've been looking at used church busses to turn into campers like this. There is a nice one at 59 and duck lake rd across from CVS (I live in highland). Maybe once the old lady sees your ambulance she will let me do one haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven