The Time Has Come: My GX build

DanKunz

Adventurer
I only rub on the front bumper...which will soon be gone so no worries!

I agree with BonnerBB, E rated for sidewall strength more than offsets a 6 lbs per tire delta.

stevek

Observer
Truthfully I won't run anything but E's when I can anymore. I think the extra margin of safety when towing even the nominal amounts I do with my 5th gen 4Runner is well worth it. Depending on what you're looking for, I got Yokohoma AT/S in 265/75/17 from Discount Tire for a phenominal price and its been a great tire for all around use. I haven't gone into heavy mud with it or ice but everything else its handled with ease!

TexGX

Explorer
I have been doing a lot of tire research. My current tires are Michelin Cross Terrains (265/65/17). They are rated a 110. These tires have handeled everything I have done without one problem. So with that in mind, the Hankook ATM's are rated 113. This is a couple hundred pounds more then the MCT's. They come in the size I want (255/75/17 a little over 32 inches) and are priced great. The reviews on line and this site are positive. So unless something happens to change my mind, Hankook will get the call. I am also comforted with the fact that I will have Discount Tires warranty as well.

TexGX

BonnerBB

Not really that tough of a decision. I went with the most common size they put on FJ's... 285/70-17 and then made one adjustment.

First of all do NOT try spacers as they cause all sorts of rubbing.

In the front of the tires the 285's will rub this piece of plastic. 255's probably will too.
IMG_20100927_134713.jpg

To remedy it all you have to do is undo this one Philips head screw, pull the plastic back an inch or two, make a new hole and rescrew it in. Walla... Never had a rubbing issue again even at FULL compression.
IMG_20100927_134749.jpg

I have a tiny rubbing on the frame rail passenger side at full lock to the right. I barely let up on the steering wheel and it stops. I bet the 255's will do the same.
IMG_20100927_134730.jpg

TexGX

Explorer
BonnerBB,

Thanks for the info and the pictures. I will watch out for both those areas.

It looks like next weekend for everything if all the parts are in.

TexGX

TexGX

Explorer
Just had my Birthday weekend dreams shattered by Wil at Sierra. We are still missing one piece for the lift and it looks like another week or two. The wait is killing me.

TexGX

TexGX

Explorer
The potato gun would be a good option, but after doing something today (post pics tomorrow), I will need the tire carrier. Lucky for me my nieghbor is willing to help me build it. I am looking at something that attaches to the same place the tow hitch does and includes a tow hitch. I do not want the wieght of a full bumper, but want something strong and carry a couple of jerry cans as well.

In the design I do have a pin to hold the arm open. I am thinking of having a small fold down table if I can. I am going to try and keep the area in front of my rear view camera open. We will have to see. It might take some time to get this done as my nieghbor will be working me in.

TexGX

normldan

Hey Tex!

Glad to see you here! (From CL/120)

Looking forward to seeing your tire carrier...it's a pain in the *** carrying a full size spare in the trunk.

Did you see Woody's old Seabee carrier? Pretty nice design.

Dan

TexGX

Explorer
normldan,

I am actually here more then LC/t120 site. I actually almost bought the one from Woody after the fire, but it did not work with a tow hitch. It will be the same basic design with some changes that should make it work better for the GX. It will be a single swing out.

Now the reason I will need the swingout. I was not able to get the lift this weekend, but I had already ordered the tires. I went down to see if they would fit with out it and they did. The only issue is with the hiden hitch it the new size will not fit under the truck. So I only picked up 4 and told them to hold the fifth one. Tell me what you think. Hankook ATM's 255/75/17

Tires 002.jpg
Tires 003.jpg
Tires 004.jpg
Tires 005.jpg
Tires 006.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism

Members online