The Toyota Land Cruiser Is Coming Back To America

Ozarker

That's nothing, I bought a '99 F-150 XLT, 4x4 extended cab, blah, blah, blah for $29,000 off the showroom floor, had extras added, sold it 19 years later for $10,500, bought it back for $5,000 two years later, then a year later sold it for $10,500. For those who can't keep up, that's $16,000 over 24 years with 110,XXX miles on it.

Cost me $650.00 a year to own and drive it, not counting TLI and gas. or $1.76 a day.

Pick you poison, make, model, year, how about a 1996 Lexus 450 with 32,000 miles for $90,000, :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (Includes a console Lexus phone you can't use too!)

nickw

Adventurer
That's nothing, I bought a '99 F-150 XLT, 4x4 extended cab, blah, blah, blah for $29,000 off the showroom floor, had extras added, sold it 19 years later for $10,500, bought it back for $5,000 two years later, then a year later sold it for $10,500. For those who can't keep up, that's $16,000 over 24 years with 110,XXX miles on it.

Cost me $650.00 a year to own and drive it, not counting TLI and gas. or $1.76 a day.

Pick you poison, make, model, year, how about a 1996 Lexus 450 with 32,000 miles for $90,000, :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (Includes a console Lexus phone you can't use too!)
Solid! I bought my 78' FJ40 in the early 2000's for $7k, sold it for $12k in 2016 and thought I was in the money, couldn't touch that for less than $30k now, nuts.

I saw that Lexus - I've seen some 80's on BAT bring in ~$40k, which is probably about what they originally sold for, $90k is nuts.

MFurey

Let's not forget about supply and demand here folks, that's an important part of the equation. Similar example: FJCruiser

The part being ignored is the Covid-effect, leading to both a decrease in supply and an increase in demand for 4WD body on frame trucks. Now that used car lots are getting full (e.g., I can find over a hundred 4Runners for sale within 50 miles), I wonder if/when the market will compensate, and we'll see a drop in prices for trucks, including Toyotas.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The part being ignored is the Covid-effect, leading to both a decrease in supply and an increase in demand for 4WD body on frame trucks. Now that used car lots are getting full (e.g., I can find over a hundred 4Runners for sale within 50 miles), I wonder if/when the market will compensate, and we'll see a drop in prices for trucks, including Toyotas.
It’s like a Mexican standoff at this point. I’d hate to be sitting on a bunch of high priced inventory.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Not to be a negative Nancy but I'm betting new prices won't fall. I imagine they'd just continue to go up at a much slower rate. Used though, yeah they'll have to fall! It's been nice feeling like I'm sitting on a good "investment" for the last couple of years. I guess it's time for reality to come back. lol

Maybe that's where Toyota was at too.
$100k sales decreasing whereas $50k sales are becoming the new norm. Might as well take advantage and reinvent.

It’s like a Mexican standoff at this point. I’d hate to be sitting on a bunch of high priced inventory.
100%

nickw

Adventurer
Dirtbikes are sim, 2023 models (1 year old now) are or at least were being sold for $2-3k off a $11k bike....which in turn has been destroying the used bike market, ask me how I know. I can't give my damn 2022 away.

Lobowanderer

Unfortunately, the only thing Toyota about this is the emblem on the grill. Look at it this is a remade Ford bronco. They’re even running the Ford four-cylinder turbo engine. And its starting price of $55,000. This doesn’t even come close to comparing to even a basic Jeep. Toyota has screwed up again. They’re going out to the high tUnfortunately, the only thing Toyota about this is the emblem on the grill. Look at it this is a remade Ford bronco. They’re even running the Ford four-cylinder turbo engine. And it’s starting price of $55,000. This doesn’t even come close to comparing to even a basic Jeep. Toyota has screwed up again. They’re going out to the high dollar client again. And after the initial excitement in January, this’ll four-way of all the Toyotas and just become another vehicle for the soccer moms to drive around town, and impress people with. Toyota has totally screwed up again with their new Toyota bronco cruiser

sn_85

Observer
Dirtbikes are sim, 2023 models (1 year old now) are or at least were being sold for $2-3k off a $11k bike....which in turn has been destroying the used bike market, ask me how I know. I can't give my damn 2022 away.

You said you were giving away a 2022 KTM? I'll take it off your hands :ROFLMAO:

utherjorge

Observer
Unfortunately, the only thing Toyota about this is the emblem on the grill. Look at it this is a remade Ford bronco. They’re even running the Ford four-cylinder turbo engine. And its starting price of $55,000. This doesn’t even come close to comparing to even a basic Jeep. Toyota has screwed up again. They’re going out to the high tUnfortunately, the only thing Toyota about this is the emblem on the grill. Look at it this is a remade Ford bronco. They’re even running the Ford four-cylinder turbo engine. And it’s starting price of $55,000. This doesn’t even come close to comparing to even a basic Jeep. Toyota has screwed up again. They’re going out to the high dollar client again. And after the initial excitement in January, this’ll four-way of all the Toyotas and just become another vehicle for the soccer moms to drive around town, and impress people with. Toyota has totally screwed up again with their new Toyota bronco cruiser
There's actually nothing factual about this post at all, but it's super cool you came all this way to post gibberish

Got ya on ignore so I don't have to hear such shenanigans anymore

Markal

It's because it's a turbo charged 4 cylinder motor with hybrid to get the the 465 lbft torque number. That number is probably only available for seconds or minutes time scales and not tens of minutes driving from Denver up to the Eisenhower Tunnel. So, they rated it for what it will tow when the electric motor and battery are no longer helping the cause.

This is why the GX is rated to tow something like 7700 lbs or more as it has the 3.4 V6 torque monster and no hybrid drivetrain so it has well over 400 lbft of torque whenever you like.
Towing is as much about cooling as it is about power and torque. The extra load on the engine and transmission creates heat, which must be dissipated.

SkiWill

Towing is as much about cooling as it is about power and torque. The extra load on the engine and transmission creates heat, which must be dissipated.
Yes, but the GX550 is the same as the LC except a different powertrain and resulting different tow rating. Yes, cooling is critical, but so are drivetrain differences especially when the vehicles are the exact same platform etc.

nickw

Adventurer
You said you were giving away a 2022 KTM? I'll take it off your hands :ROFLMAO:
Maybe 'giving away' was a bit strongly worded - 2 years ago I'd of had it sold in a week, now I just get spam and guys wanting to trade me dogs and rifles.

nickw

Adventurer
And drivetrain strength and brake size, these are engineered packages it takes all the pieces to = tow rating.

I think we've come to expect a certain amount of performance out of to rigs that is exceptional, but just a few years ago a 1T rig had less power and torque than many midsize rigs do today.

Markal

I can top that, had a guy ask me how my "Pathfinder" was handling the trails atop Engineer Pass last week lol. I turned around and looked for a Pathfinder and when I realized that he thought my Land Cruiser was a Pathfinder I turned and said, "Nissan makes them tough" and then I laughed. I've also had it called a 4Runner and a Highlander lol, 90% of people have no idea what a Land Cruiser is.
Guilty as charged! A few years ago, before I really knew anything about this segment of vehicles, but was just getting interested, I saw a Toyota suv all kitted up (lift, rack, rotopax, shovel etc) for sale in someone’s driveway not too far from me. I thought it was weird that someone would do that to a Highlander. The sign in the window showed an asking price that almost made me throw up. Only later did I realize it was a Land Cruiser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__