The Toyota Land Cruiser Is Coming Back To America

utherjorge

Observer
I disagree. It depends on the engineering.
Engineering comes in many forms but most commonly, optimized or over-engineered.
The LC Prado is an efficient use of engineering with a purpose-built function.
The LC is an excessive use of engineering with a purpose-built function. Hence you're HD rhetoric.

The engineering problem today is that the gained efficiencies of the LC Prado have earned a higher duty level that begins negating the need for the no-compromise over-engineered HD.
There is a healthy balance in engineering where the excess or robustness has negative effects on the total package.

i.e. HD axles sound great mechanically but they're heavier, cost more, and to some design engineers, only deliver marginally better performance. Sounds like an inefficient use of weight.
Holy cow, exceptional post. Well done. That's exactly right.

utherjorge

Observer
Lost me - but full size LandCruisers, including 70's, are still very popular in the ME.

Prado's are great - probably work for most people, are comfortable and reasonably priced, I'd drive one in a heartbeat, but my comments still hold true, they are not built the same. If that bugs you that much and you insist a Prado is a "Landcruiser", I think that speaks volumes.

Obviously Expedition Portal agrees, they have their own subgroup.....
dude's still trying to bang his tiny drum lol

utherjorge

Observer
And it probably has resale value of $750! I don't buy any high mile rig and think current prices of LC's are stupid....but people out there spend $20k for a rig that they have no idea how to maintain properly. Parts for 40/60/80's are getting harder and harder to come buy but it goes to show you, those suckers have a legacy that sells, many of the guys I see driving 60/80's are probably to young to remember them new.
How is it possible that you continue to miss every single point that everyone is saying to you, over and over? AT NO TIME DID HE TALK ABOUT RESALE VALUE. It's cute how you continue to try and move goalposts for whatever personal things you have going on over there at your house. Did you know that there are subgroups on forums for Explorers, too? :ROFLMAO:

BuckinghamBuilt

I am as disappointed as the next guy in what they unveiled in this new Prado but it will sell simply due to it's size and price point. An enthusiast like myself likely won't be a buyer and the misses already said she wants the GX Over Trail which is a three-row gussied up version with a better power plant so that'll be next and our fourth GX in 14 years. See, if you're a lunatic like myself it's possible to be both an enthusiast and an every two to three years consumer lol.
I may be wrong but I thought the 2024 GX Overtrail version was two row only.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I may be wrong but I thought the 2024 GX Overtrail version was two row only.

I believe you are correct in regards to the Overtrail model. The big difference in the platforms is that the GX (Premium and Luxury trims) will offer a third row where the Cruiser will not have one at all.

T-Willy

I actually like that it isn't a 300. It's smaller and cheaper. I think it'll be a big hit. LC enthusiast may not like it. People who like the allure of Land Cruiser but aren't actually Land Cruiser enthusiast will love it. People still love FJ cruises🤣

I particularly like that it's narrower. It's nearly as narrow as the 80 series and now shares the same wheelbase, which, for my purposes, is dimensionally ideal. I look forward to seeing track width too. I'm eager to park one of our 80s next to the 250 to spend an hour on the ground comparing the two and trying to drink a beer laying down.

We should keep in mind that the TNGA-F platform will make Toyota's offerings more similar than different going forward. I expect that, with the exception of 70 series, the stark differences that have historically distinguished models will blur. I expect that TNGA-F platform will increase robustness across models.

On the other hand, Toyota Global did launch the 250 as "Light Duty," a subfamily of Land Cruiser to which Prado belonged and the 200 and 300 did and do not. The press release benchmarks the 250 against the outgoing Prado. https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/39526684.html

How this shakes out with the 250's big metal parts will be very interesting to see. I was encouraged by reports from the reveal that it appears to share axels with the 300. And I am certain that Toyota itself was mindful of inevitable benchmarking in the U.S. against the robustness of its past U.S. Land Cruiser offerings.

A big tell for me will be payload. Payload of the 80 series began at 1930 lbs, fell into the 1700s as more luxury bits were added where it stayed through the 100 series, and then it fell further with the 200 series, whose run ended in the 1600 and 1500 lb range.

What's very encouraging for the 250 specifically and the TNGA-F platform generally is that the 2024 Tacoma offroad hybrid, even with all of the weight of the battery, still sees a payload over 1700 lbs (again, more than the outgoing 200 series).

Anyhow, again, it'll be interesting to see specs. To be sure, things now are not as they were.

Last edited:

sn_85

Observer
As someone who owns a 200 series I am now more intrigued and interested in what the new 4Runner will be like. The 200 series is going to stay in the family for a while since it's a big SUV and I need it for family/people hauling duties. I don't see the J250 as a replacement for a 200 series since it's quite a bit smaller. Since Toyota seems to be doing a lot of platform and parts sharing now I'm willing to bet a lot of the J250 bits trickle down into the 4Runner. Do we need the "Land Cruiser" badge and name anymore if its a not coming as a J300? They could have called the J250 LC a FJC or 4Runner and I would have believed it.

So maybe we now get 4Runners in even more poverty pack forms that cost less than a $55K J250. I think their SR5 and TRD-OR trims will sit in the $40-$50K range. For the 4R I'd like to see them have non-hybrid options that give me more storage space in the rear and hopefully increase payload a bit since it'll lose the heavy batteries. Maybe 2 and 4 door options with a rear tire mounted swing door. I don't have hope for front solid axles or front locker but they can give it the front disconnecting sway bar along with rear solid axle and rear locker. There were rumors that Toyota would make a Bronco competitor and I hope that the 4Runner will be it.

T-Willy

Since Toyota seems to be doing a lot of platform and parts sharing now I'm willing to bet a lot of the J250 bits trickle down into the 4Runner. Do we need the "Land Cruiser" badge and name anymore if its a not coming as a J300? They could have called the J250 LC a FJC or 4Runner and I would have believed it.

What specific attributes of the 250 do you think disqualify it from the Land Cruiser badge?

nickw

Adventurer
How is it possible that you continue to miss every single point that everyone is saying to you, over and over? AT NO TIME DID HE TALK ABOUT RESALE VALUE. It's cute how you continue to try and move goalposts for whatever personal things you have going on over there at your house. Did you know that there are subgroups on forums for Explorers, too? :ROFLMAO:
I brought it up several posts back, speaks to how vehicles are viewed in second/thirdhand markets, there is a reason don't you think?

Sorry I hurt your feelings, I'm obviously not alone based on other feedback.

sn_85

Observer
What specific attributes of the 250 do you think disqualify it from the Land Cruiser badge?

I'm not saying its not a "Land Cruiser" or doesn't qualify to be one. My point is that now that TNGA-F is being used across LX600, GX550, Sequoia, Tundra, Tacoma, LC250, and eventually 4Runner we don't NEED TO OBSESS over the "Land Cruiser" name anymore. As in, do we need 14 pages of is this a Land Cruiser or not a Land Cruiser like this thread? The lines are blurred between GX550, LC250, and future 4Runner now more than ever. Previously the lines were very defined between the LC100/200 versus GX470/460 and 4/5th gen 4R.

Like I said, you could have slapped 6th gen 4Runner on the LC250 and I would have believed it. If the 6th gen 4R is going to have the same size axles, axle ratio, suspension & steering components, brakes and same frame as the LC250 then it's going to be a very attractive platform. My guess is that the 6th gen 4R will offer a non-hybrid option and be part time 4WD to differentiate itself and keep costs down. It will likely be $10-15K cheaper and it actually may be a good alternative to those that feel $55k is out of their budget. If the above happens, personally, I'd rather have a 4R non-hybrid, part time 4WD, with rear locker (likely SR5 with TRD-OR package, although Toyota trim and nomenclature can be confusing) than say the LC250 1958. More cargo space and potentially higher payload without the hybrid battery system in the rear. That would be my preferred "poverty" spec.

The GX550, LC250, and 6th gen 4R can essentially be seen as one vehicle now. It just depends on what powertrain, drivetrain, amount of luxury, trim/option, looks and price bracket fits the buyer.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Anyone who buys a vehicle with any sort of resale justification isn’t a financially wealthy person. Vehicles are a cost center not a profit center. Any consumer vehicle with 300,000 miles on it is basically scrap metal. If its still running reliably at that point the owner is just winning the financial game better than the guy buying new every 3yrs.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Anyone who buys a vehicle with any sort of resale justification isn’t a financially wealthy person. Vehicles are a cost center not a profit center. Any consumer vehicle with 300,000 miles on it is basically scrap metal. If it’s still running reliably at that point the owner is just winning the financial game better than the guy buying new every 3yrs.
Well yes and no. If you pay attention to overall cost of ownership it usually makes sense to buy a new Toyota and keep it 10 years, it’s still worth something when you sell it. But I agree a vehicle is just a hole you throw money into…😆

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Anyone who buys a vehicle with any sort of resale justification isn’t a financially wealthy person. Vehicles are a cost center not a profit center. Any consumer vehicle with 300,000 miles on it is basically scrap metal. If its still running reliably at that point the owner is just winning the financial game better than the guy buying new every 3yrs.

There are Tacomas with over 300K on them that are selling for more than they were new....I wouldn't be so sure of that over 300K scrap metal thing.....In that case, the owner got the vehicle for free....

IMO resale on things should be an important factor in what you choose to buy. ...The real cost of what you are buying is the difference between what you paid for it and what you sold it for later, whether its a Car, Truck, Tractor, Lawnmower or anything that can be resold.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__