The Triple Threat Grand Cherokee (2003 WJ)

K2ZJ

Explorer
I was staring at the rear setup on my rig two weeks ago, I have a set of longer shocks in the garage. I need to lower the brackets on the axle if I want to run them, and I want to redo the upper like yours. I like those brackets also, good find, now to find ones that rotate the lowers and I am set.

theksmith

Explorer
looks like you may get some rubbing on the shock by the way it looks in that shot

close for sure - i think it'll be ok though. there was 1/2"+ of clearance and the other side's shock is fully extended in that pic. if it sat where all the weight was on a rear corner and further compressed a bumpstop, i think the tire would end up about where it is in that pic still now that we fixed the stops (they hit close to center of the bottom pad now).

headed for the Rubicon tomorrow morning so i guess we'll find out soon ;)

theksmith

Explorer
have a great time out there

thanks - we did! more pics soon...

IMG_3996.JPG

carnage was limited to a couple new scrapes, a busted tail light, and a majorly bent rock rail. the tools & spare parts bags never had to come out - yay!

IMG_4120.JPG

IMG_4124.JPG

theksmith

Explorer
Awesome pictures! What would say the minimum rig requirements are for the trail?

depends on a lot of factors including the driver's experience... a short wheelbase like a TJ probably 32's and 3" lift. larger vehicles like mine still scrape stuff in places on 35's and 6". we had another WJ with no lockers and he made it, but he worked really hard so i'd recommend at least 1 locker.

all that said, i know they supposedly take stock current grand cherokee's and fj cruisers and so forth in there, but honestly i have no idea how. it can't be pretty... either there is a ton of stacking and or bridging ladders used, or else i'm sure they are just thrashing those rigs.

also, FYI, George did it in 2 days previously no problem with only 3 rigs, all short wheelbase. we took 3 and half days with 8 rigs (2 XJ's, 2 WJ's, and 4 wranglers) - we had a variety of driver skill too.

Lecoq

Explorer
Thank you for the trip report. Rubicon is definitely on my bucket list. Glad to see another WJ that made it back in one piece. :wings:

zelatore

Explorer
One of these days I'm going to get stupid and try my LR3 on the 'con. It's just too close.

I'll be sure to give everybody plenty of head's up so they can plan to not get stuck behind me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad