The Triple Threat Grand Cherokee (2003 WJ)

theksmith

Explorer
maximum gauge that will fit into a terminal hole? no idea, there is a link in my writeup to the full data sheet on it though.

theksmith

Explorer
locker wiring finished, ABS wiring has been done, full writeup here... i wired the lights on my locker switches to the locker sensors so that they only light up if the locker actually engages.

P1120016.JPG

theksmith

Explorer
with the help or a couple people, i now have much wider sliders. the problem was that the "hoop" of them originally didn't stick out far enough to be even with the wide rounded part of the WJ body even when a boulder was str8 up, and if i was off-camber next to a boulder i was really screwed. the new wider ones make it a bit of a PITA to get in and out now, so i wouldn't recommend it for people that aren't doing rock-crawling, but should be worth it for me to keep the rocks out of the doors.

here's the original sliders as they came from JKS:

p_ogs850.jpg

here are my newly modified ones:

P1030531.JPG

i had a guy cut off the entire original "hoops" and add wider ones, with more braces. then another friend helped me add another body mounting point (done the same as original with a tube inside a tube so they are removable still). i was worried that the increased leverage on them due to the new width might cause them to rip out of their psuedo-frame mounting locations - hopefully with 3 tie-in points now they are ok.

P1030712.JPG

P1030723.JPG

VW Jeeper

Observer
Your WJ continues to impress. Keep up the good work and post more pictures!

Question: When you made the custom mounts for the Rola rack did you weld your rack together at the joints as well? I just got a Rola rack for my XJ with the extension and the separation at the joints and the wimpy self tapping screws that hold it together are my only complaint.

theksmith

Explorer
Your WJ continues to impress. Keep up the good work and post more pictures!

Question: When you made the custom mounts for the Rola rack did you weld your rack together at the joints as well? I just got a Rola rack for my XJ with the extension and the separation at the joints and the wimpy self tapping screws that hold it together are my only complaint.

thanks!

exactly the same initial thoughts i had - so yes, i had someone weld it together at the joints back when i had it just bolted to my XJ's roof rack.

i drilled the outer hole where the screws go to a bigger diameter and had the person rosette weld it there and then also do a full bead at each joint.

it's a very sturdy rack for the price once you fix the pieces together more solidly.

theksmith

Explorer
thanks guys!

last week Number 7 also moved my shock mounts for me. i didn't feel like my rear were positioned right during the axle swap - i don't think they were allowing enough room for compression of bumpstops during heavy hits and might bottom out the shocks. also the front i could put longer shocks on without compromising any clearance, so i wanted to do that to get maximum droop.

my rear bushings were shot and they were just crap shocks, and i blew out a front shock already, so i ended up with new Teraflex VSS shocks for a 6" lift on a JK. they are supposed to be valved application-specific and i figured a JK is similar weight to mine. i measured what i thought would fit and i could have actually gone a little longer in the front, but there wasn't a longer option. one day i hope to do some bad-***** bypass shocks, but till then i really don't think spending the money on higher end remote reservoir shocks is worth it. these were on sale for $57 each at 4wheelparts and hey, there's black!

working on the back:

P1120019.JPG

the new front mounting location:

P1120038.JPG

the new rear location... these hang a little low, but no lower than the control arm mounts so i don't really think it'll be a problem. they are tucked right over next to the wheel and also kinda help protect the brake caliper now too. anyway, i'd rather sacrifice a little clearance for more droop and therefore stability during crawls and uneven terrrain.

P1120042.JPG

i want to get some limit straps now too, need to jack it up and measure for them.

theksmith

Explorer
added a couple of rock lights today while i was putting my belly skid back on. they sit on top of the skid, both angled down and pointed at opposite axles:

P1120313.JPG

P1120314.JPG

P1120316.JPG

they certainly could get smacked by a rock, but it's not super likely. as you can see i need to do something for a tranny pan skid, so if i have a rock up there i've got bigger problems than a broken light.

P1030868.JPG

P1030874.JPG

P1030856.JPG

i've got 2 more. one i'll probably add behind the radiator support pointing down to give more light in front of the front axle, and the other one will probably have to wait till a custom rear bumper as there's no good center place in the way back to mount it, i don't think.

we'll see how useful they are out away from the city lights this weekend hopefully, but they seem plenty bright with just 2.

i paid 40 bucks each for them including shipping from ebay from seller "apqhung"... just search for "15W LED work light". they are supposed to be waterproof, but they are no-name-chinese-specials so we'll see. i chose this seller because he's in CA, most sellers selling these lights are in hong-kong and take forever with shipping. there's higher wattage ones for about the same price, but i bought one of these 15 watt first and thought it was plenty bright for rock lights so i stuck with those. i don't think you want too bright for rock lights or you'll be blinded.

the little LED "pod" style lights are popular now from a few companies too, but usually those come in a set of 6 and i didn't want to run wire all over the place, so hopefully this works out.

the axles & tires create a neat shadow/light pattern:

P1030843.JPG

RadoExpo

Holy ********! Axle-swap, in-dash PC, hot shower, and a taco warmer?? "Sure it can jump tall rocks in a single bound, and I can hose off the sweat from running circles around all other expo trucks, but can it warm my tacos??" CHECK.

I don't think this thing qualifies as a "daily driver" so much anymore, LOL. I think you have pushed right into the "assault vehicle" category, and I think the threat level just went to red!

Insane build, and likely the most (best?!?) modified WJ out there. NICE WORK. Simply mind-blowing. Your wife/gf must be one of the most understanding women on the planet, too.

Let me know if you come back out to CO. I've got to see this beast in person.

I upgraded from an XJ to a WJ last year and couldn't be happier. I can't think of one thing I liked better about XJ, even though I was done modding it for my needs before I sold it. Frankly, I'm surprised the WJ isn't a much more popular expedition vehicle here in NA. I'll guess we'll just drool over your thread until everyone else figures it out. Carry on!

theksmith

Explorer
hey thanks for the kind words about the build!

and yes, the GF is very understanding! so much so that she just sold her 2wd trailblazer and bought a 05 4wd liberty renegade last month! her first question when she saw it on the lot was "can we get rid of the wimpy tires and put on all-terrains?" lol ;) we plan to eventually make it into a mild expedition rig that will get better MPG than mine (and be her daily driver), but we gotta save up for a while before we can start the mods on it.

what part of CO you in? we will be near salida/buena-vista areas for a week next summer: http://offroadpassport.com/index.php?page=trips

Doctor W

Adventurer
Hi, I'm a "member' (not a full one, 'cos I'm in Australia) of Offroad Passport - which is a great site/forum!!...... this build is a really nice "precis" of what you've shown on there. Very nice and soooo neat and tidy in your mods!!!

I've got a ZJ which is not as full on as your WJ, but I have gleaned some good ideas from your build and other stuff on ORP.....I do visit Los Angeles, Cal + So Cal and Nevada every few years (sans my vehicles sadly) but would love to catch up one time I'm over there or in AZ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad