The Unnamed - 2019 Ram Power Wagon Build

St8ton

Could you post some pictures of the interior and how the Softtopper mounts? I still haven't decided what to get either.
Sure, do you want interior of the cab photos or inside the softopper? It uses simple bed clamps (4) to hold an aluminum rail down. I post some more photos soon.

*Google is your friend.

St8ton

Removed the front lower air dam. I'm guessing it will make approximately zero difference in MPGs and 100% improvement in overall looks.

to5UdUvl.jpg

E5uR5vvl.jpg

CodyB

Observer
Communications

I've had the pleasure of working with Midland USA for the last 12 months or so. We use several models of their radios for communications with our expedition team and adventures. I've run the MXT400 in my JKU for a year with great results. Any time we are out of the vehicles I grab a handheld to keep communication with those still inside.
For the Power Wagon I chose the Midland MXT275 GMRS Radio for it's compact form and easily hidden base. It's a great little radio and has performed good with the new Ghost 3db antenna. I messed with several different antenna mounts before settling on the passenger side hood mount. I disconnect the hand unit when not in use or need. I just prefer to keep the cabin clear of wires when able.
Here are some phots from the install.

I like how the antenna blends in with the lines of the vehicle.

I have been considering either the MXT400 or MXT275 for my Tacoma that will primarily be used to communicate to other handheld radios. Was size the main reason for choosing the MXT275 over the MXT400 for the Power Wagon build? Have you noticed any differences in performance in the hills between the 275 and the 400? I like the size and low profile of the Ghost antenna you used but wonder how range compares to the taller antennas mounted higher on the vehicle or on racks like is often seem with these installs. The adapter to keep the mic out of the way is a great idea too. I had been thinking about mounting the radio inside the center console so everything could be tucked away when not in use. Really enjoying seeing the work you are doing on this truck and appreciate any insight on the radios.

nater

Adventurer
I have been considering either the MXT400 or MXT275 for my Tacoma that will primarily be used to communicate to other handheld radios. Was size the main reason for choosing the MXT275 over the MXT400 for the Power Wagon build? Have you noticed any differences in performance in the hills between the 275 and the 400? I like the size and low profile of the Ghost antenna you used but wonder how range compares to the taller antennas mounted higher on the vehicle or on racks like is often seem with these installs. The adapter to keep the mic out of the way is a great idea too. I had been thinking about mounting the radio inside the center console so everything could be tucked away when not in use. Really enjoying seeing the work you are doing on this truck and appreciate any insight on the radios.

This is a great question - I also have been wondering this... I did see that midland is going to release a MXT400 with the remote mic/head that the MXT275 uses towards the end of the year - seems like a "best of both worlds" option

St8ton

I'll attempt to answer your inquiries...

Was size the main reason for choosing the MXT275 over the MXT400 for the Power Wagon build?
I wanted a smaller form factor with this build and the ability to hide the main unit was a bonus. When not in use I disconnect the handset and store it away. Out of sight and hopefully secure from prying eyes.

Have you noticed any differences in performance in the hills between the 275 and the 400?
For the way we use the radios; normally close quarters, line of sight transmission and handhelds in close proximity for spotting and camp conversations, range has been great and I have no complaints. The Ghost antenna I'm currently running is a 3db antenna that has performed well considering I have it on a hood mount and not at the highest point on the vehicle. Clean and clear transmissions where it currently sits. The assumption would be that the whip style 6db antenna would persfrom even better. I have one and will swap them out one day and report back. If you are in a mountainous area, conversing across larger distances with possible barriers, the larger antenna could help.

Thanks for following along. More to come.

*sidenote: The MXT275 has an additional USB port on the base and can be quickly removed if needed with the use of the 12V power adapter. AND, a very big feature is the NOAA Weather Band.
I run the MXT400 in my JKU and it is great as well. At 40 watts it's pushing a good bit more power than the 275 at 15 watts.

I saw that you mentioned sleeping under the softopper. I almost pulled the trigger on one of these several times. Did you order the rear mesh screen option? The tent attachment option?

St8ton

I saw that you mentioned sleeping under the softopper. I almost pulled the trigger on one of these several times. Did you order the rear mesh screen option? The tent attachment option?
I have the rear window mesh screen. No tent attachment option, not sure what the might be. If I go back to a RTT I'll put my bed rack back on.

GghTQxol.jpg

Flakchaser

Beautiful truck ! I noticed you keep it clean. When you get tired of cleaning the hub and lug nut recess on those Saltas , get the matching trim rings...makes cleaning the wheels a breeze. Mine came with both plastic and painted steel button head allen screws. I didn't trust the plastic ones. Used the steel screws with a dab of anti-seize on them hand tight. I take them off before the Gorillas at the tire shop work on the truck... and carry a few allen keys in the truck!

976-HIKE

Removed the front lower air dam. I'm guessing it will make approximately zero difference in MPGs and 100% improvement in overall looks.

to5UdUvl.jpg

E5uR5vvl.jpg
Those air dams are so ridiculous. The PW is a fantastic rig, all the way up until they take a page out of GM’s playbook and throw a hideous air dam on it.

Good work, great truck there

St8ton

Electrical Update:

Added the sPOD Universal 8 Circuit SE System W/ HD Panel.

Mounted the universal panel to the fuse box cover. It has standoffs to allow for air circulation all around the unit and cable management.

LTkgwRml.jpg

Spent a few minutes figuring out where to mount the HD Switch Panel. I wanted it fairly easily reached by both driver or passenger, while still being out of the way and out of direct eye sight. Ended up using the lower trim panel surround for the transfer case.

UbyhShJl.jpg

Jz1iskGl.jpg

MtlPHPWl.jpg

I like how clean it turned out. I ran the Cat5 control cable under the carpet, behind the dash and thru the firewall to the unit. Simple enough.

nxM8xyVl.jpg

More to follow...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater