The Unnamed - 2019 Ram Power Wagon Build

HeliNomad

Adventurer
I've tried to keep additions to the truck in line with the overall factory look. The lights are all long, thin and led. So the decision to go with an LED bar was fairly easy for me. Round lights, on this particular truck would jump out as an eyesore to me (at least that's my current thinking). Another consideration was the front facing camera. If you mount a large row of lights such as a Rand Ellis light bar or the like....you're only going to see a row of lights when you operate that camera. No bueno.

I knew I wanted something in line with the other headlights and preferably grill mounted. Well, no one makes that yet...and for good reason. Once you spend a few minutes with this trucks grill area you'll see that it is several layers of material. From the outside working in; you've got the external mesh grill, then a support beam for the camera, then the mechanical louvers for the radiator that pivot, then the radiator. To remove the actual grill, it's my understanding (and attempt) that it'd take a day to do so with all the clips and screws that have to be removed. Nope, not doing it. SO I made my own brackets for the light and figured out my own way to mount them without ever removing the front grill. You do have to remove the upper plastic covers (x2) to get a hand behind the grill and your forearm will loose skin.

If others decide to go this route, I'd love to see what you come up with.
I was able to get it to sit completely flush with the RAM lettering (see photo) and centered with the camera. While it is visible when the front facing camera is on, it is not an impediment.

I went with the Baja Designs S8 20" Amber LED in the combo/driving pattern. I've used this pattern with previous lights and like the look of the light when in use. And the S8 has the additional backlight feature that matches the color pattern of the existing amber LED marker lights.

Baja Designs S8 LED
"Baja Designs' latest LED light bar comes with a few new perks! Enjoy the clean aluminum frame with 12,700 lumens of pure power, low amp draw of 8.00 amps, and nearly 50,000 hours of LED life."

Here's the final product. I really like it.

VXb70Byl.jpg

Z1Rcy3zl.jpg

Here you can see the Softopper is still attached, just laid towards the front and secured. I love how fast you can do this and gain access to the bed.
lfYmuVJl.jpg

NyJoTz6l.jpg

EdwC0kAl.jpg

12KIlqyl.jpg

I’m interested in doing this to my 2020 Power Wagon. Could you provide details on how your mount works? Did you just clamp the plastic grill? It seems a little delicate to pull that off. Curious what worked for you. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

St8ton

I’m interested in doing this to my 2020 Power Wagon. Could you provide details on how your mount works? Did you just clamp the plastic grill? It seems a little delicate to pull that off. Curious what worked for you. Thanks.

Yeah, I just made a simple L-bracket for the light and then a sandwich plate for the back of the grille. It's a pain to get a hand back there but it's doable. I didn't over complicate it or over think it and it's worked great ever since.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Yeah, I just made a simple L-bracket for the light and then a sandwich plate for the back of the grille. It's a pain to get a hand back there but it's doable. I didn't over complicate it or over think it and it's worked great ever since.

Cool! Would you mind snapping a photo of that? My gear comes tomorrow and I’m already scheming! Love your build!

St8ton

I haven't update in a while, so here goes...

Added the WhiteKnuckle Offroad sliders.
.188 DOM Wall, powder coated
They are crazy beefy...and squeaky. Don't let anyone tell you they don't squeak...they do. I'm still working that out with adjustments.
HuRzh0Ml.jpg

KX8rP2Ul.jpg

St8ton

Added the Rigd Supply UltraSwing Megafit tire carrier.
It's really awesome. Can handle up to a 40" tire, zero rattles in the hitch...some minor noises from the contact area of the locking mechanism. But really nothing to worry about.
I haven't added the table yet, but probably will eventually. I was hoping Rago Fab would push out the molle table they've hinted at.

4qvlh3Zl.jpg

Xi0RhkIl.jpg

I run the BlueRidge Overland Gear trash bag backwards on the tire to keep in out of the way. It's working great.
3KgHm4pl.jpg

St8ton

Did some testing with the camper (Runaway Camper - Venturist) and the Rigd carrier...

The added hitch mounted tire carrier adds some distance to the 7pin harness on the truck. This required an additional extension for the harness. I went with a 4 foot and it was more than enough. Just something to think about before you head out on an adventure.

csJOSvWl.jpg

St8ton

Couples other things here and there...but otherwise I've just been out using and enjoying the truck. It's working great and is easily adapted to how I need to use it.

imx4opJl.jpg

LNXRLF7l.jpg

I added some BajaDesigns S1 Scene/Work lights to the bed rack when it's mounted. I love them. Paired with the SPOD, you can dim them at camp and have some great low-light camp ambiance.
iGdgFm2l.jpg

y1trX7xl.jpg

Put a Waterport on the bed rack. It's been a good addition. Easy to fill and use.
SmnDsdml.jpg

I'd been running the Dometic CFX35 in the back seat and occasionally in the bed. I moved it over the camper and put the CFX28 in the truck. It's a great fit and allows room for the PLB40 and my trauma kit next to it.
1aI90aGl.jpg

As always...go follow along with me for more frequent posts on my Instagram feed: @St8ton

nater

Adventurer

They are crazy beefy...and squeaky. Don't let anyone tell you they don't squeak...they do. I'm still working that out with adjustments.

I remember about other people having squeaking issues, it came down to one bolt rubbing the floor pan or something. I got lucky with my maple sliders, no squeaks... search around the Facebook pw groups, I know it's been discussed with a solution presented.

St8ton

I remember about other people having squeaking issues, it came down to one bolt rubbing the floor pan or something. I got lucky with my maple sliders, no squeaks... search around the Facebook pw groups, I know it's been discussed with a solution presented.
Yeah, I know it's the front driver side floor plate. I just can't get it to find it's happy place.

bahn112

Yeah, I know it's the front driver side floor plate. I just can't get it to find it's happy place.

Mine squeaked like crazy and would drive me insane. Read up on the forums and someone suggested I shave down the washers (not the bolts) that mounted up the brackets on the front most mount. Just used an angle grinder I had on hand to shave them down and viola, no more squeak!

BuckinghamBuilt

Couples other things here and there...but otherwise I've just been out using and enjoying the truck. It's working great and is easily adapted to how I need to use it.

imx4opJl.jpg

LNXRLF7l.jpg

I added some BajaDesigns S1 Scene/Work lights to the bed rack when it's mounted. I love them. Paired with the SPOD, you can dim them at camp and have some great low-light camp ambiance.
iGdgFm2l.jpg

y1trX7xl.jpg

Put a Waterport on the bed rack. It's been a good addition. Easy to fill and use.
SmnDsdml.jpg

I'd been running the Dometic CFX35 in the back seat and occasionally in the bed. I moved it over the camper and put the CFX28 in the truck. It's a great fit and allows room for the PLB40 and my trauma kit next to it.

As always...go follow along with me for more frequent posts on my Instagram feed: @St8ton

I have been trying to decide between the Leitner Designs ACS bed rack and the Expedition One. Looking at your pics I see that the Exp-One using some clamps so have you had any issues with it shifting (i.e., up hills/down hills)? Also how has it held up to the elements of North Carolina?

St8ton

I have been trying to decide between the Leitner Designs ACS bed rack and the Expedition One. Looking at your pics I see that the Exp-One using some clamps so have you had any issues with it shifting (i.e., up hills/down hills)? Also how has it held up to the elements of North Carolina?
So far it's been fine. Keep in mind I don't have a RTT up there so weight is minimal (less to shift). The powder coating is hanging on...it wasn't perfect when I received it, crappy shipping wrapping and thin in spots...but what is there is fine. Keep in mind they don't offer what I have anymore (the crossbar only rack style...you now have to get a platform that they sell. At least that is what I was told months ago.
I've not heard many, if any, complaints about the Leitner racks. They make a solid product and with the release of the forged version they seems to have a really good option.

dogman1911

HuRzh0Ml.jpg

KX8rP2Ul.jpg

Mine get a little squeaky in cold weather but they are good to go most of the year 'round.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
@St8ton , do you think you could mount an Onx6 bar in that same location as your S8? I know it's heavier.

Reason is, I currently have the 20" Onx6 in the behind bumper mount on my 2019 Longhorn. We pull a 5th wheel but will probably be moving to a Diesel Pusher pulling a PW and I love the way that bar plus my Squadron ProCombo Driving ditch lights absolutely flood the road with light.

I hate having to give up my Cummins and the amazing Longhorn center console and interior, but the PW will be an infinitely better toad than a Diesel Megacab...haha.

Learning a ton with this build thread. Keep it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater