The Woodsy Bit: Adventures of an '88 Phoenix

subterran

Adventurer
If anyone was curious: The rack is working just great:

rack_test 1.jpgrack_test 2.jpg

I do have to remove the boats before I can pop up, because I am dubious of both the structural integrity of the roof when not supported by the walls (which keeps me from adding lift assist struts), and I worry about the strength of the folding end panels to hold up 100 extra pounds. No big deal, though - we paddle only about 20% of the time we use the camper, so this works for us.

Anyway - at 7 feet wide, 2 lightweight boats = no problem. I wouldn't try any more than that, even though I could physically fit more.

Stay tuned for my Solar-Panel install, and my step system we are using, FWIW.

Cheers!

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Looks great nice to see your out enjoying it. I like the new rack and can't wait to see more. I just rebuilt my door on mine and ordered new water filler and some new butyl tape for re sealing some stuff . and then its wiring my tundra up now and re installing tie downs same as on my ranger . keep it going

bob91yj

Resident **************
^^^^If English is your second language, we should all have broken English...your "broken English" would be a vast improvement for a large percentage of our population!

subterran

Adventurer
This is only me doing a show and tell - dawg and pony show, that is.. I am tickled to explain anything you'd like in greater detail. Don't stand there confused, man - help me help you! Probably the most confusing thing is that I am behind on updates - I have already installed my solar panel, but have not gotten around to taking any good photos. I guess I am through with the burn-in / assessment phase with the solar panel now - it 'werks good'. I'll post that install shortly.

Last edited:

subterran

Adventurer
Who needs a $700 Foxwing, when you can have...

We had an opportunity to get out this weekend, and I took some photos to show the capabilities of Woody to offroad a bit whilst getting to camp:

mud- off camber 2.jpg mud - off camber.jpg
mudding.jpg

When we arrived, it started into a steady annoying drizzle for the evening, so I flipped the side-mounted ARB awning around to the back. Here are some better photos of the awning flipped around, and the extra hardware involved. I have to say, this makes for an extremely versatile setup. One day, I'm going to mount some brackets on the Driver's side so I can use it on that side, too. Why not, right?

awning flip 1.jpg awning hdw1.jpg
awning hw 2.JPG awning flip 3.jpg

As a side note, the solar panel / alternator charge lasted our whole 4 day vacation of lights and fridge duty. After day 4, I really would need to park in the sun for a day or so to top it off, but if we had been traveling for a few hours a day, I think it might run perpetually. I'm very pleased with the battery / combiner / solar panel setup. Two thumbs up. I still owe a post of the install.. Standby!

Last edited:

subterran

Adventurer
Solar Panel and charge controller install

I got my head around solar power systems to my own satisfaction with my last camper. There are debates on PWM vs. MPPT vs. Crap from china vs. AGM vs. Trojan vs. Dual 6 volt and the list goes on and on. The fact is, it's very simple - and we're not talking about my entire 401k investment retirement cabin on the edge of Yosemite here. It's just fancy car camping.

For this system, I'm using a 68 watt Unisolar flexible stick-on panel, a Morningstar MPPT solar charge controller I had left over from another project, and a cheap, auto parts store 85 amp deep cycle marine battery. I'm using #12 low voltage landscaping wire you can get from any lowes depot. The panel went on unbelievable easily. I cleaned the area underneath it for better adhesion and I figured that the best positioning could be combined with helping to seal the center roof seam, so I went right down the middle directly over the center seam just like a giant bumper sticker. The included glue works great. I have no concern about it sticking firm and lasting from now on. There's also enough room to add a second panel if I want. So far, just the one is good enough for my little fridge.

For the wiring, I decided I would use the already established wiring route - in the back driver's side corner. There were already wires there on the interior going to the roof mounted lights that fold up with the roof supports. I drilled a hole in the same corner of the roof, and bundled the 12GA landscaping wire in with the other existing wires. I filled in around the penetration with more of the white blackjack roof stuff I used on page 1 of this build. Love that stuff. The old wiring has lasted 26 years that way, who am I to question? I followed much of the same wiring path back to the charge controller which I mounted right beside the battery. Kinda fugly, but there's not much space to play with and it works. I did put a fuse in the incoming panel line, as well as every wire connected to the + side of the battery.

The controller has a 3 LED status indicator (red = < 11.5 volts [dead], yellow < 12.1 volts, green > 12.2Volts) The LED flashes when there is a charge coming in thom the panel. If I want to see the actual voltage, I have a simple meter I plug into the 12v jack that reads out 9.6v - 14.5v. I may install a more perminent one later, but I am trying to wean myself off of my "battery level micromanagement" habit and just trust the system.

This solar system is in addition to my dual battery charging system (really 3 batteries) as detailed earlier in my posts. Between the two independent charging systems, something is feeding the battery much of the time.

I have had the solar system installed for several months now, and I couldn't be more pleased with the performance. If I park in the sun, I am confident that the fridge will run perpetually. The biggest issue is temperature inside the camper. When it's really hot, the fridge is going to run much more, so I might actually come out better parking in the sun than in the shade. We shall see. The most important thing is that I no longer have to plug into any AC to keep the battery at top charge. After a long weekend and the battery is tired, pretty much just one day in the sun and it's fully charged. Nice.

solar_panel_1.JPG solar_wiring_1.JPG
solar_wiring_2.JPG Solar_controller.jpg

Last edited:

subterran

Adventurer
Air Conditioner

Window AC unit

OK, so apparently nothing says Redneck like a window AC unit. I'm down with that, so here goes!

Problem 1: Find a window AC unit that will run off of a Yamaha EF1000is 1000 watt generator. Not so easy as it sounds. I went through 3 units trying to find one that would. This is something that the interwebs don't have a lot of information on. I found several videos on Youtube of folks running a small window unit off of a cheap Harbor Freight 1000 watt genny -BUT- what they don't show is that it won't run it for long. The video will show a guy crank up the genny, then turn on the AC, and even shoot it with a temp gun and show that it's cooling. But after the compressor cycles off the first time, it takes a lot more amperage on the motor to start it up the second time. So that's where the genny would fail. It would work for about the first 5 minutes or so. Adding to the confusion, the AC's fan would keep running, making you think it was still working, but no.

Here are the window AC units I tried that would not work:
LG model LW5012 500 watt 5000 btu (would not run at all)
Frigidaire FRA052XT7 500 watt 5000 btu (would run for first cycle only)

I finally found someone in a sailboat forum from 2009 who said that he had gotten an Arctic King 500 watt / 5000 btu Window AC that would run dependably on a 1000 watt genny from Walmart. Hey! that's where rednecks shop! So I ordered one up (Arctic King WWK-05CMN1-BI7). What do you know! It does in fact work in my tests!

Problem 2: Where to mount it. There is just no space anywhere in or on this rig to put a window unit. Whats more - I did not want to cut a hole in the side anywhere. This problem kept me up for a few nights trying to figure it out. Then, while trolling the WTW camper forum, I hit it: someone had hung one out the side window. So simple, so REMOVEABLE. Why coudn't &#8300;I think of that? The original poster was not travelling with his in situ. He would take it out of the window and sit it in the floor until he got to his destination, then he would mount it in the window. Well, kind readers, that is an awkward bit of cargo to deal with, what with that big wonky board and it unable to sit flat, not to mention a waste of space. I needed to figure out how it could ride right there. The other designs I saw were using the window frame to support the weight. So, rather than fit the window, I just cut a 23"x24" square of 3/4" ply, and stuffed the unit through. I'm not using the window frame for support at all. I wanted it to protrude out of the side as little as possible, too - for clearance, balance, and appearance. So, I cut a bunch of aluminum angle to create a stout frame. I bolted it through the board for strength. Then I used self-tapping screws to fasten the AC unit to the aluminum frame. After I had a stout mount, I cut some old perforated metal screen to cover and reinforce the cooling fins. On the inside, I used some aluminum flashing to block off some of the ports left exposed by sitting the unit farther inside than it was set for. This will force it to draw air from only the part sticking outside. I finished it off by putting some speaker reinforcement corners on the metal corners sticking out. This is to keep someone from getting a painful poke by one of those sharp corners. Plus, it adds a certain 'rugged' look, I think.

So - I have Air Conditioning, and the whole shebang weighs only about 70 lbs. The AC unit is 35lbs. and the Yamaha Genny weighs 27lbs. Runs very quiet, too. If I don't take the genny, it's only 40 lbs. Not so bad.

Now, my junky rig looks so redneck, my wife refuses to ride in it anymore. I can't figure out of I should cry in my beer, or jump for joy. All I know is that in certain times and places that I may find myself, I can stop wishing I had AC...

AC_inside 1.JPG AC_inside2.JPG
AC_outside_1.JPG AC_outside_2.JPG
AC_outside_3.JPG AC_outside_4.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater