Timbren- Great Products/Service. Overkill is Underrated

rodrage

Adventurer
I have always believed that overkill is underrated. Earlier in the year, I discussed my build with Jeff Scott at Timbren (Axle-less Suspension products built in Canada). Jeff spent at least a half hour of his time with me discussing the build ... http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/161549-Small-Off-Road-Build .. and the need (want) to beef the axles OVER what I actually needed. I had really already decided on the setup and was intending on using the 35HDS04 setup. Not only is Jeff "The Man" when i t comes to discussing design and technical data, but he is a super nice guy. He REALLY tried to talk me down a bit form the kit I wanted to install, but I'm hardheaded and ended up verifying the parts I needed. He even suggested that I order them directly form a vendor in the US to save a HUGE amount on shipping. When I did the math- it was a heavy savings.
That evening I ordered my setup from a huge parts vendor (I won't name them here) with the parts I needed for the ASR35HDS04 kit, and it arrived in @4 days. In the following weeks, I had the frame rails drilled on a mill at a friends shop who also made the backing plates while they were there and bolted them on the outside frame rails. The main portion of the frame was put together and propped up in the garage until I get finished with the cage.
Fast forward to a couple of nights ago: I was doing inventory on the project and measuring my fenders again, and thinking about the hard mounts to the lower frame. I picked up the spindles and thought they looked a bit odd and realized that they are the "drop" pieces.
Yesterday I called Jeff at Timbren to discuss the issue. Again, I ordered them from one of their vendors- NOT Timbren. I then pulled a copy of the original order from six or eight months ago. It appeared as if the order sent was the ASR3500SO4 instead of the ASR35HDS04. Understand, that the housings are almost identical without looking at a spec sheet. I figured that it could be rectified somehow with just a swap of parts. Jeff was SO helpful and went over all my options. Unfortunately after several emails and discussion with Jeff, it would come down to rebuilding the lower frame or welding up the existing holes and milling new holes and backing plates for the replacement suspension.
The vendor had even sent me an incompatible set of brakes for the suspension that was ordered. Luckily I never even mounted the parts of opened the boxes.
When the day was over, I decided to go with the suspension that he offered originally, (as it was the one already mounted my frame). It is NOT as beefy, but has a stiffer "spring" and is a good balance for the weight I will run. The vendor is taking the return for the wrong parts and paying for return shipping as well as free shipping of the new parts.
All-in-all, I'm VERY pleased with the service from Timbren but I'm disappointed that the trailer I designed has changed. But I'd rather move forward with what I have than to rebuild and hope the original parts I wanted aren't too much in pure Overkill. If I'm disappointed in the ride, I'll have to do the work again anyway, so I'm going with what I have.
This is all on me- and no one else is to blame. My lesson learned is to buy directly form the manufacturer if possible AND check all orders against a technical spec sheet, and compare what you have when it arrives.

Last edited:

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
I got a set of the HD models, and I am not overly happy with them to be honest. Seems like they have next to no suspension travel compared to even a leaf spring setup. If I had to do it again I would go leafs or 3 link without question. I just fail to be able to justify the expense of the Timbren, and thats coming from someone that bought them.

I also had problems bolting mine up because if you put them on a 2x3" frame it will bend it. I had to straighten my frame, and weld in reinforcements inside the frame to keep it solid.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ive never seen the reasoning for timbrens, honestly. Unless you are so cheap you simply cannot afford to do it correctly.

There are a few applications that make sense, but that list is VERY short.

For most applications is it makes much more sense to simply re-spring the vehicle to support the target weight properly.

SamM

Adventurer
Ive never seen the reasoning for timbrens, honestly. Unless you are so cheap you simply cannot afford to do it correctly.

There are a few applications that make sense, but that list is VERY short.

For most applications is it makes much more sense to simply re-spring the vehicle to support the target weight properly.

IdaSHO,
There is nothing cheap about the Timbrens. I like the fact that everything can be replaced including the elastic-polymer bushings. The spindles are also replaceable. In fact, it's less of a hassle to just buy a new backing plates than it is the rebuild the Dexter brakes that just about everyone uses with these. The cost is about the same, maybe a little more.

Could you be talking about the SES helper system for vehicles? rodrage is referring to the independent Axle-Less suspension for trailers. My trailer uses the 2000HD setup with 3500# parts. It is more than enough for my use. If not I'll just swap out the polymer bushings (springs).

SamM

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Oops.

Yes, I was mistaken. Thought is was about the "helper" bump stops.

Thanks for the head up.

jwiereng

The OP is writing about axle-less trailer system.

A12RS440_5_500.jpg

rodrage

Adventurer
Just and update.... Originally Jeff (at Timbren) told me that the spindles I needed were back-ordered. The company that I ordered them through confirmed the same. Two days later I got confirmation that the parts had been shipped (all from Canada). The boxes arrived and all parts were included. Can't say enough good things about their service and help.
IMG_5869.jpg

6btEX

Observer
I installed the HD 3500 offroad setup on my current build. So far I only have about 40 miles on pavement, but I can say it handles well. The added ground clearance and the lack of needing shocks already is promising. My leaf sprung trailer handled horribly until shocks were installed.

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
I have about 1500 miles on my Timbrens. Very, very pleased with the overall handling on-road and on the trail.

C

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Is there a method to align these if the trailer frame rails are not perfectly parallel (in the case of retrofitting) or to adjust for "tweakage" (due to abuse/damage)?

6btEX

Observer
Is there a method to align these if the trailer frame rails are not perfectly parallel (in the case of retrofitting) or to adjust for "tweakage" (due to abuse/damage)?

The spindles can be adjusted where they attach to the swing arm. Shims and directions are included.

jwiereng

seems that the one tonne timbren is available in long arm version and regular arm length. Travel is stated at 3-3/8 inches for the long are and 2-1/8 for the regular arm.

I'd appreciate any comments from users here relating to travel length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven