Tired Series 1

rovertech

Observer
I am not sure how many series guys are around but this is intriguing nonetheless. Here is a shot of the engine in a '51 LR series 1 I am working on. Pic is of the top of block with cylinder head off. It currently has two stuck exhaust valves as you can see in the pic. The intake valves are in the head. Strange design. This poor old Rover needs a total resto at this point in its life. Not sure if the owner has wrapped his mind around that though.:)

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    199 KB · Views: 74

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Has the owner wrapped his head around how much that is going to run? I certainly haven't yet, which is likely why I'm still plugging away.

Desert Dan

Explorer
Can you put in a newer series engine with OHV?

Some older Jeeps had the similar valve set up with the intake valves are in the head, and the exhaust valves in the block. The F Head engine

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Can you put in a newer series engine with OHV?

You can if you swap out the bellhousing on the transmission for a 2-1/4 bellhousing. The series 1 and the 6cylinder share the same bellhousing. BTW the rover 6 is an F head as well.

-Jeff

SeaRubi

Explorer
That would make an excellent coffee table with a thick glass topper on it for the shop. Maybe have an S1 etched in from the bottom. Jumping a dune. With a caricature of yourself half-way bouncing out of the seat and spilling your latte. :sombrero:

welcome to the fold good buddy! :smiley_drive:

cheers,
-ike

rovertech

Observer
Mike,

No, the owner hasn't seem to come to terms with cost.

It would be a shame to modify this series 1. It is complete (reasonabley) and really needs someone to bring it back to life the right way, or use it to breathe life into another one.

Forgive my ignorance, but I.O.E.? :)

Ike,

Thanks!

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Yeah, Series Is all the way up to IIAs are rare enough in this country that I kinda want as many of them preserved as possible. If the owner isn't willing to go to the lengths neccessary to do it well, you might suggest a sell/swap with someone who is.

Of course, it's their vehicle and they ultimately decide what will happen.

crusader

Adventurer
Odd pistons, too (compared to every other Rover engine).

I don't see any pushrod holes for the intakes--Does it have 2 camshafts (upper and lower)?

rovertech

Observer
It is in need of complete restoration or retirement. :) I have a feeling there is some sort of emotional attachment creating a bit of a barrier at the moment. The picture doesn't show the cylinder walls that clearly but they in surprisingly great shape. It is a need old piece but if it is allowed to sit and delapidate any further it won't be worth anything anymore.

rovertech

Observer
Odd pistons, too (compared to every other Rover engine).

I don't see any pushrod holes for the intakes--Does it have 2 camshafts (upper and lower)?

the relief cut in the pistons allows for the exhaust valve clearance. It runs a single in block cam like a OHV engine. Pushrods for the intake valves and the rockers activate the exhaust valves directly on the stem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online