To pintle or not to pintle?

tx-jeremy

My trailer is actually a ranch modified ww2.

Im trying to decide what I do about the modified tailgate now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I somehow missed this message before.

The lunette itself can rotate in the trailer "housing". The pintle doesn't need to rotate if this is the case, right?
The lunette rotates up and down in the ring. The pintle needs to rotate . On military trailers , the lunette ring rotates. I posted a link to the rotating pintle.

rnArmy

Adventurer
On the WWII trailers, the lunette ring sits in a lateral tube. It rotates/spins 360 degrees on its axis facing forward. Look at the first picture in post 61. The lunette ring also pivots/swings up and down in the pintle hitch. But even if neither can rotate, there is enough slop inside the ring to allow for some twisting movement.

Last edited:

tx-jeremy

On the WWII trailers, the lunette ring sits in a lateral tube. It rotates/spins 360 degrees on its axis facing forward. Look at the first picture in post 61. The lunette ring also pivots up and down in the pintle hitch. But even if neither can rotate, there is enough slop inside the ring to allow for some twisting movement.

Mine will rotate laterally as mentioned.

All pieces came in the mail couple of days ago but it’s 38 outside and I’m not interested in camping out in the barn to work on it in that weather. Hopefully the sun heats things up this afternoon and I can give it a try installing it.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Data:

e8b3118a7082f762c5f30eb04f031115.jpg

6dcf95fc0e287aace210227e77ab7355.jpg

07f9533cb26635dc91ce9147452a397b.jpg

958134dfeefcbe3461166da63f6ea630.jpg

25 degree left and right
35 down and 65 up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rnArmy

Adventurer
I love it! You beat me to it with the angle finder.

However, I'll bet you would have had better measurements with the pintle hitch if you didn't use one with the ball mount. I'll have to see what I can do with mine and post pictures.

Thanks!

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I’ll take that bet! I’ll give you no more than five degrees better left to right and maybe the same up and down!

:)

rnArmy

Adventurer
Ok... here you go with a "regular" pintle hitch.

Lunette ring in the down position. Looks like 90-degrees to me (it is just hanging there). You can see all the room (or "slop") the ring has inside the pintle jaws for twisting movement. The weight of the angle finder is actually having the lunette ring thingy back beyond 90-degrees when you look at it. It could go back another 45-degrees if it wanted to.

lunette angle down.jpg

Lunette ring in the up position. Again, looks like 90-degrees (actually is a few more in this picture as it has gone beyond 90-degrees and is leaning back further some). My spare tire would keep it from going the full 90-degrees up in real life.

lunette angle up.jpg

And here it is with the lunette ring in the "twisted" position. I could only get one good picture since I was taking these by myself. But twisted right and left got the same angle measurement @ 27-degrees.

lunette angle twisted.jpg

In summary

90-degrees (+) Up.
90-degrees (+) Down
27-degrees "Twisting"

So my Nato Hitch I've got coming in (last I heard should be here Monday, 7 Feb) will allow the lunette ring to literally twist 360-degrees. As far as I know, I've never overtwisted (extended the limits) my current set-up. But it will be nice to know with a rotating pintle hitch I'll never have to worry about it.

Last edited:

NMBruce

Adventurer
So I'm thinking you really dont need much more "twisting" for the trailer than the 25-27degs you guys have measured.
lets say you get your vehicle at about 20degs off camber, then that could allow the trailer to get up to 45degs off camber, thats a lot of off camber.
Maybe I am wrong, but that seems like a lot to me.

tx-jeremy

Got the new lunette installed but have been fighting with seized lug nuts on the driver side.

Been a pain in the butt for a week now.

76515fc2de6d3dc141ededc98c195302.jpg

0302b87bad4f60d06c76346a878df99e.jpg

takesiteasy

Adventurer
FYI- some of the old WWII trailers had reverse threaded lug nuts on the driver's side. The studs have an "L" stamped on the end which you may be able to see. Just a thought.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Ok... here you go with a "regular" pintle hitch.

Lunette ring in the down position. Looks like 90-degrees to me (it is just hanging there). You can see all the room (or "slop") the ring has inside the pintle jaws for twisting movement. The weight of the angle finder is actually having the lunette ring thingy back beyond 90-degrees when you look at it. It could go back another 45-degrees if it wanted to.

View attachment 706052

Lunette ring in the up position. Again, looks like 90-degrees (actually is a few more in this picture as it has gone beyond 90-degrees and is leaning back further some). My spare tire would keep it from going the full 90-degrees up in real life.

View attachment 706054

And here it is with the lunette ring in the "twisted" position. I could only get one good picture since I was taking these by myself. But twisted right and left got the same angle measurement @ 27-degrees.

View attachment 706055

In summary

90-degrees (+) Up.
90-degrees (+) Down
27-degrees "Twisting"

So my Nato Hitch I've got coming in (last I heard should be here Monday, 7 Feb) will allow the lunette ring to literally twist 360-degrees. As far as I know, I've never overtwisted (extended the limits) my current set-up. But it will be nice to know with a rotating pintle hitch I'll never have to worry about it.

So that Curtis dual pintle really has some extra meat in her to limit the travel!

Good to know!

Data

Science!

Winning!

rnArmy

Adventurer
Got the new lunette installed but have been fighting with seized lug nuts on the driver side.

Been a pain in the butt for a week now.

76515fc2de6d3dc141ededc98c195302.jpg

0302b87bad4f60d06c76346a878df99e.jpg

Do me/us a favor. Measure the outside and inside diameter (hole diameter) of your military lunette ring. I want to compare it to our 2" receiver ones we use. Thanks.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I like the look if the pintle but have never towed one.

My use case will be hundreds of miles on highway then overland camping then highway again.

Would a pintle work for this setup?

The pintile hitch solves a lot of trail related problems.

Stay with it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online