Top 10 Used Overland Vehicles: Do you agree?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Just read about 2wd vs 4wd and had to say this....get a Baja bug, if you get stuck, get out, pick up the front end and point it in another direction and go.

Something else I have not crossed here is a VW or rail buggy. What happen to these? two seater with a rack and baskets, cabin body, could have heat and A/C, lots of winch points and a good winch. Anything you can't climb you can winch over. An old Ford 4 banger or V-6 will let you fly over much of what some crawl through. A full pan would make a pretty good platform for going terra travels anywhere. But have not seen these mentioned.....:ylsmoke:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
The link below shows where the 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee was sold.....I would say it is an international vehicle and I would feel confident that I would be ok travelling around the world in my diesel equipped Grand Cherokee. Especially since the engine powering it is an international 3.0L Mercedes V6. I would do a DPF delete though which should assure me the use of LSD...

And as long as you have a part#, an address and money you can get DHL to ship pretty much anywhere.

2005 "WH" export models

Country-specific equipment details
Back to export models main page

http://www.wkjeeps.com/export/wh_export_country.htm

Plenty of Jeep dealers in Central and South America. Jeep dealers in South Africa, Namibia, and Botswana...You are covered in Australia. Russia has almost 30 Jeep dealers.

The only place lacking Jeep dealers is central and east Africa,and India...Toyota does have support in those regions.

Screen Shot 2012-10-30 at 7.59.38 PM.jpg

jim65wagon

seems the list was all about Toyota, pretty obvious, ...... I probably would think a couple would make the top 10, not the entire line up.

The entire lineup is not there, he totally neglected the first gen Tundras, and every Corolla ever made.....

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Funny how this same discussion is held on a forum discussing how to hike the Appalachian Trail. Granny Gatewood hiked the whole trail with a duffle bag and Ked's on her feet, but to others you shouldn't leave the pavement without a GPS and 70 lbs of gear on your back and the latest goretex footwear...don't even bring up the top ten stoves to carry...lol.

I remember sweating all of my gear before my thru hike...ultimately it made no difference. I would have had a great time regardless of what gear I carried.

It just shows the passion we have for our interests, but you do need to step back and assess what is right for you and just get out there.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
The entire lineup is not there, he totally neglected the first gen Tundras, and every Corolla ever made.....

LOL, yes, I thought of the cars when I said that, and it's only proper to be corrected when being critical :)

I remember an AWD Corolla wagon, wasn't there one? In the early 80s? That would be a great little way to go too.

I just looked at a 30 passenger bus, a rather neat looking GMC similar in lines of the Raptor monster, airplane style, but lost out on it!

I'd have to say my Solomons are easier for treking now for me than my Kids were when I was a kid, I think I had more fun wearing the Kids!

I certainly hope Scott isn't ticked at me for my rant, I didn't mean anything personally. I did enjoy reading each assessment.

I'd like to see another top ten limited to NA, I'm not going to Africa.

BTW, what's this I hear about Jeeps being made in China.....(LOL)

profro

Observer
Funny how this same discussion is held on a forum discussing how to hike the Appalachian Trail. Granny Gatewood hiked the whole trail with a duffle bag and Ked's on her feet, but to others you shouldn't leave the pavement without a GPS and 70 lbs of gear on your back and the latest goretex footwear...don't even bring up the top ten stoves to carry...lol.

I remember sweating all of my gear before my thru hike...ultimately it made no difference. I would have had a great time regardless of what gear I carried.

It just shows the passion we have for our interests, but you do need to step back and assess what is right for you and just get out there.

So true.

I get a good laugh when I see a modded out 100 or 80 on the trails with a snorkel, jerrycans, dual spare tires, shovel, and light bars. Then some good ole boy out drives them in a bone stock Bronco II.

Bip Bip

Observer
What about all the 'other' US made vehicles on offer which are more 'overlander' in the get-go?

Sportsmobile springs to mind, but there are others - Van Specialties out of Oregon competes with SM, Tiger Motor homes, Earthromer, Campervan North America sells an interesting little Ford Transit, Outside Van tweeks the MB sprinter...

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I guess if it's strickly NA then why wouldn't any of the Chevy/Ford/Dodge pickups make it? They're everywhere, parts support is everywhere, perfectly capable of running most tracks in NA, as fuel efficient if not more (especially an 80 series) than some of those on the list.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I hate to sound cliche' because articles and discussions like this are valuable for when someone is in the market for a new vehicle but for most people the best overland vehicle is probably the one in the garage- just add gas :). Too much time is wasted debating/contemplating on the Internet about what vechicle is best for someone (I've done it multiple times).

As someone else here once said "most of us are building a solution in our driveway looking for a problem" - it truly stuck with me.

grimbo

Explorer
It is funny how people get so worked up over vehicle choices brands etc

Here's an example of just using what you've got to go exploring with.

My dad drove through most of outback Australia in the 60s in his VW beetle. Did the Birdsville Track, up the Oodnadatta track through to Alice then on to Uluru (Ayres Rock then) the Olga's etc. drive through flooded sections up to the windscreen with water as far astound can see.

Then in the 90s with mum they did much of the same plus the Tanami and Canning in a swb Jackaroo (trooper to you guys).

The the same in a Toyota troopcarrier including the Cape.

Then finally in a 75 series ute with a Trayon camper.

All did it successfully the only difference was they were the vehicles he owned at the time. None were heavily modified most pretty much stock. He changed vehicles alot just for the hell of it but they just went and travelled with what they had.

Motorhead94XJ

The XJ is certainly legit. I noticed quite a few bopping around Central America.

However , the Patriot didn't make the list. It was only there as an option for someone needing/wanting a cross-over.

Then why include it in the first place? I'm going to admitt bias right off the bat considering I own an XJ myself, but no person in their right mind would spend double for a Patriot (which is actually a modified Mistubishi GS platform, the same that underpins the Outback and lancer) when they could buy a nicely equipped, late model, 4x4 Cherokee with one of the most bulletproof drivetrains ever assembled.

Fuel economy? I get high 20's to 30ish out of my XJ depending on how conservative i am with the throttle, but that rule applies for any car.

Bottom line, for a used purchase buy an XJ, leave the patriot to the dumpster

EDIT:
Just as easily, the XJ could have fitted in for the super cheap option. I picked mine up for less than $2000 and I'ts come home on a tow truck exactly one time in the year and a half I've owned it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal