Toyota Convert

The decision to leave Jeep and Land Rover was not an easy one. My Grampa fought in the 1st Marines Div. from Guadalcanal through Okinawa, and then again in Korea. He hated the Japanese, a product of his generation, that were brought up and trained that way intentionally. Today however, after being without an Overland vehicle for quite some time I purchased this one-owner beauty:

2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 4x4
V6 5spd K&N Cold Air Intake; Borla Exhaust, Warn 9k winch, ARB Bull Bar, 3" lift, and more!

Big plans for this rig

00U0U_fLeRpRw2F3i_600x450.jpg00U0U_iXWrgeDgd0P_600x450.jpg00909_9XAgfIPBQGI_600x450.jpg01111_PqXOW8MHu0_600x450.jpg1239509_10100993886046557_1525533208_n.jpg

darien

Observer
You're set, man. I just got the same truck. Get ready for a whole new world of reliability. I still have all my Land Rover t-shirts - I wear them when I change the oil in my Toyotas. Lots of people wind up not liking the K&N but you may - there's a healthy trade in original setups for people wanting to switch back. Can't get around that great ARB bumper, I just wish they weren't so heavy...

Nice dog too - German wirehaired or a Griffon? It's hard to tell sometimes.

You're set, man. I just got the same truck. Get ready for a whole new world of reliability. I still have all my Land Rover t-shirts - I wear them when I change the oil in my Toyotas. Lots of people wind up not liking the K&N but you may - there's a healthy trade in original setups for people wanting to switch back. Can't get around that great ARB bumper, I just wish they weren't so heavy...

Nice dog too - German wirehaired or a Griffon? It's hard to tell sometimes.

thanks! i'm loving it thus far, but a year of ownership will be the big test. congrats on yours too. the dog is a wirehaired pointing griffon, Boatswain, 6 months.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Congrats! I had an XCab Tacoma for quite a few years, absolutely loved it and still miss the 5 speed behind the healthy 3.4L :cool:

native_nate

I'm stoked for you. I've had my 2003 for about 6 years now, and absolutely love it. I have been in Korea and dreaming about getting back to drive a real vehicle and ditching my crappy Hyundai that I've been using over here. You've already got a great platform to start with, especially with the ARB and winch. What lift is on the truck?

I'm stoked for you. I've had my 2003 for about 6 years now, and absolutely love it. I have been in Korea and dreaming about getting back to drive a real vehicle and ditching my crappy Hyundai that I've been using over here. You've already got a great platform to start with, especially with the ARB and winch. What lift is on the truck?

Thanks man, I'm not sure what lift kit he used. I know he replaced the leaf springs with new ones that had add-a-leaf and new coils with spacers up front. Bilstein shocks too.

darien

Observer
In my experience, brief though it is, you have to rethink your lift requirements on a Taco. You can run a 235/85/16 on these things stock, and to put that tire on a Land Rover requires a healthy lift (at least on a Disco). They have amazing ground clearance right out the gate. I don't think I'll ever be in a situation where my lack of a lift holds me back, and don't plan on lifting it unless I need to replace the suspension and then I'll go with 1".

Its running 275s right now, so maybe I'm mistaken about the exact size if the lift. The guy kept all the records so I just need to go through and find the exact information. Coming from a Cherokee it's hard to judge these things. My wife's '91 4Runner runs a 31x10.5x15 stock, I needed a 3-3.5" lift on the XJ for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven