Toyota Less Luxurios LAND CRUISER...

Bufalo

Why Toyota does not bring to the market a less luxurios land cruiser , I mean less expensive and more Off road oriented vehicle...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I wish they would too. I'd like the Landcruiser version of my Ram. Manual trans,A/C and some decent seats.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I wish they would too. I'd like the Landcruiser version of my Ram. Manual trans,A/C and some decent seats.

They do, it's called the 70 series.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

4Running

If Toyota could get the 70 series with its 35-40 year old technology past the Feds' safety and emissions red tape, it would be fantastic. If instead of converting the 4Runner into the (now defunct) FJ Cruiser had made a "modern" 40 series to compete with the Jeep Wrangler it would have been awesome. I think Toyota Japan and Toyota USA need to get on the same page with how it markets the 200 series (and beyond) in North America. Since they sell the LX already as the "tuxedo" version of the LC, sell the LC as a "blue collar" version or enable the enthusiast buyers in North America to order bespoke versions of the LC with the options available in the rest of the world (e.g. Diesel, cloth seats, sunroof delete, cool box delete, entertainment delete, e-lockers, auxiliary fuel tank, winch bumper, winch, 3rd row delete, tire carrier, steelies, etc.). Rather than putting in crappy faux wood on the dash to look "expensive" they could just put nice materials in keeping with its utilitarian and ultra durable/reliable heritage. Doesn't seem to be how Toyota is trending these days but it's nice to dream...

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
If Toyota could get the 70 series with its 35-40 year old technology past the Feds' safety and emissions red tape, it would be fantastic. If instead of converting the 4Runner into the (now defunct) FJ Cruiser had made a "modern" 40 series to compete with the Jeep Wrangler it would have been awesome. I think Toyota Japan and Toyota USA need to get on the same page with how it markets the 200 series (and beyond) in North America. Since they sell the LX already as the "tuxedo" version of the LC, sell the LC as a "blue collar" version or enable the enthusiast buyers in North America to order bespoke versions of the LC with the options available in the rest of the world (e.g. Diesel, cloth seats, sunroof delete, cool box delete, entertainment delete, e-lockers, auxiliary fuel tank, winch bumper, winch, 3rd row delete, tire carrier, steelies, etc.). Rather than putting in crappy faux wood on the dash to look "expensive" they could just put nice materials in keeping with its utilitarian and ultra durable/reliable heritage. Doesn't seem to be how Toyota is trending these days but it's nice to dream...

This is such a dead topic. And beating it while it's a rotten corpse is not going to change anything. If you truly want a 70 series, import one. It's simple and not expensive. But I think people just like to complain on the Internet instead.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

4Running

I'm just responding to the OP and one never knows if Toyota ever reads the forums so I figure it doesn't hurt. Maybe I will import a 70 series after I build up my 200...

justbecause

perpetually lost
I'm just responding to the OP and one never knows if Toyota ever reads the forums so I figure it doesn't hurt. Maybe I will import a 70 series after I build up my 200...

they are too busy counting their money and laughing at people still way, and I mean WAY, over paying for the tacoma.

lugueto

Adventurer
IIRC there is a more work orientes version of the 200 series in Australia, which is not as rugged as the 70 series but should prove more than rugged enough for serios expeditions. It is also not on its last production year like the 70 series and should be way more comfortable.

I was right, there is one. The 200 series GX. 4.5 liter turbo diesel V8, factory snorkel, cloth seats, plastic carpets, steel wheels, locking rear diff, aux fuel tank. Its a diesel 200 without any luxury whatsoever, the only thing this version would share with the American version is the safety features and the auto transmission. This would be an AWESOME platform.

Expedition Leader
Why Toyota does not bring to the market a less luxurios land cruiser , I mean less expensive and more Off road oriented vehicle...

They did, for decades. The vast majority of their U.S. customers wanted a more and more luxurious vehicle, so they gave it to them.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
they are too busy counting their money and laughing at people still way, and I mean WAY, over paying for the tacoma.

Evil evil businesses.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
They did, for decades. The vast majority of their U.S. customers wanted a more and more luxurious vehicle, so they gave it to them.

Bingo.

I actually spent some time with the Toyota US market lead for the Land Cruiser this afternoon here in SLC planning some upcoming fun. We wandered around a handful of non-US Cruisers including a variety of old and late model 7x's and even a MegaCruiser. He was very familiar with the platform and knows very well the Land Cruiser community would jump at the opportunity to purchase one. BUT, we are a small, small sector of the market... simply put. That said, the US spec 200 is still a fantastic off-road platform particularly overlanding and similar uses. Having driving VDJ7x's around the globe I can attest that there are few places the 200 wouldn't go with the same vigor and meanwhile be a more comfortable ride. The VDJ7x is a tank, absolute tank but the 200 is no slouch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad