Toyota releases extra tough Land Cruiser GX for Australia

4xdog

Explorer
Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Very nice, John. Technically not a troop carrier, but the wagon version of the new-front 70-series. Maybe the 78? -- someone here will tell us.

Your pix are of the "Workmate" version of the 70 series, the bare-bones model similar to the 200-series GX.
http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70-series/specifications/wagon-workmate?WT.ac=VHLC70RangeSpecsWagonWorkMateSpecs

Man, there are a lot of us in the US that would love a chance to have either the 200 or 70 rough-and-ready model!

Don

Thanks Don. It was the first time I'd seen them up close.

TangoBlue

^ You're kidding, right?

Sorry....don't understand. I really don't know too much about new small 4wd models. Just saw them there and thought you might be interested in the pics.

All the mine spec vehicles end up really well spec'd up to meet safety standards and being able to handle the abuse. These in the pics will lbe tough once they're done.

Last edited:

STAGE 2

Adventurer
Meh.. the 80 series (non US version) was the last of the real cruisers. Everything beyond that has the styling only a soccer mom could love. Besides, if it aint got an oh **** bar then its not a real cruiser.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
These new Cruisers to me do not look the newer Troopies but rather a newer version of the 70 series Parado. Also known as the LandCruiser 2...

toyota_land_cruiser_prado_3863517_orig.jpg

I am not a fan boy of all things Cruiser. While the Prado looks cool it is a total pile of poo. My buddy has one in Panama that is an early 1990s. The engine is grossly underpowered. The body is rotten in a big way. Almost nothing electrical works on the truck. Some of the doors won't open any longer. Mechanically it is also falling apart. His truck also only has 250,000ks on it which is really not all that much. These trucks were a drummed down version of the real 70 series. They are light duty and not made nearly as well as the other 70s. Not saying that is what the new 70s are but they do look like the same trucks. Also I am not up-to-date on my 70 series but when I was in Australia the twin turbo v8 diesel was brand new and just came out. There was tons of rumors floating around that the engine was a piece and was giving owners all kinds of problems. Perhaps Toyota fixed those issues though as that was nearly 5yrs ago.

From Wiki....

In April 1990, a new type was introduced. The front grille, front fenders and engine hood were redesigned. The head lamp design changed as well. At the same time the sub name Prado was attached, but names like Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser II were still used in other parts of the world besides Japan. Meaning plain or field in Portuguese, Prado the new line from Land Cruiser was marketed toward more on-road purposes, despite a body on frame design which was highly capable off-road.

In Japan it came with electronic fuel injection and a four speed automatic transmission. The 2.4L turbo diesel engine with 97 metric horsepower (71 kW) and 24.5 kg·m (240 N·m; 177 ft·lbf) high torque unit was installed. The line up included 2-door and 4-door versions named LX5 and SX5 respectively. The 4 door was also offered in a higher specification named EX5.

The front suspension was changed to a "shock absorber through spring" design to improve handling. The SX5 and EX5 grades can switch between stages of absorber with a touch of a button. The 22R gasoline engine was upgraded to the 22R-E (electronic fuel injection) engine, the diesel engines were replaced by the 2.8 liter(2776cc) 3L engine, and the 2.4 L (2446cc) 2L-T turbo diesel engine was replaced by the electronically injected 2L-TE turbo diesel engine. In 1993, the 22R-E gasoline engine was replaced by the 2.7 liter (2693cc) 3RZ-FE gasoline engine and the 2L-TE turbo diesel engine was replaced by the 3.0 liter (2982cc) 1KZ-TE turbo diesel engine with aluminium cylinder head. The 1KZ-TE was able to reduce NOx and soot. The dash board was replaced with a new design with minor changes to suspension, brakes, and trim details.

Matto

Observer
The 76 wagons (indeed the entire 70 series range) are undeniably tough, bu aren't without their issues. They're expensive to start with, given that they're just a warmed over older model from about 20yrs ago. The lack of airbags and abs initially counted them out of the mining market over here. The rear leaf-spring suspension is known to be a bit rough and hard to live with, and the 79 series utes initially had big issues with the rear track being narrower than the front (whether it has been fixed, and whether it was ever a real problem in the first place, I don't know).

The v8 motors did initially get a bad rap for chewing oil, but personally I'm not sure it's as bad as some people made out. Again, not sure if it's been fixed, or if it just went away. Links here - http://www.ohwhatalemon.com/

That said, they're still very popular here, with live axles each end, and the big single turbo v8 diesel (only the 200 series gets the twin turbo version). Very popular for tourers builds, for people who want a capable wagon with impact external dimensions.

As for the Prados, I'm not sure you'll find many people over here who'll agree with you RMP&O. Doesn't mean you're wrong, of course, and I'm in no way casting dispersions about your mate's experience. Here however, the 90, 120 & 150 series Prados are much loved as long range touring machines. Heaps of gear for them, known to be built strong, and can be found anywhere. as above, good for people wanting a compact machine. With the IFS frontend, they're good onroad. Prados and the new model Pajeros are very popular as tow vehicles for caravans, camper trailers and general touring.

We're just sour because we can get the Arctic Trucks versions of the Prados over here ;).

Thanks!
Matto :)
Nissan driver

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Not sure how this is relevant as the 70 series predates the 80 series, i.e. what I said stands.

Perhaps it is relevant because the 70-series continues to be manufactured and available world-wide. While the platform still looks familiar, it has gone through style updates as well as some drive-train updates. Kaizen not withstanding, Toyota would not offer it if there was no demand. It could be that it's just that good...

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
:iagree: We can buy two forms of new Land Cruiser: a 200 series or a 70 series. There is a reason, and as TangoBlue said, it is just that good. There are other great platforms, I'm not looking to start a holy war, but the 70 series is a work horse over here and the sales figures suggest that more than enough people with real requirements agree to keep it in production.

STAGE 2 said:
Meh.. the 80 series (non US version) was the last of the real cruisers. Everything beyond that has the styling only a soccer mom could love.

Based on that well constructed argument I'd better tell my parents that they should get rid of their largely stock twin turbo diesel 200 series Sahara which just took them 75,000km around the country in two years on their retirement trip - including what are considered amongst the world's most remote and gruelling 4x4 tracks - because it is not a real 4WD, and that they should consider giving it to a soccer mum who can love it more than them.

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Based on that well constructed argument I'd better tell my parents that they should get rid of their largely stock twin turbo diesel 200 series Sahara which just took them 75,000km around the country in two years on their retirement trip - including what are considered amongst the world's most remote and gruelling 4x4 tracks - because it is not a real 4WD, and that they should consider giving it to a soccer mum who can love it more than them.

******** - oww - I think is slipped a rib...

STAGE 2

Adventurer
Perhaps it is relevant because the 70-series continues to be manufactured and available world-wide. While the platform still looks familiar, it has gone through style updates as well as some drive-train updates. Kaizen not withstanding, Toyota would not offer it if there was no demand. It could be that it's just that good...

Maybe I'm not making myself clear. The 40, 60, 70 and 80 series cruisers are the "real deal". Models that have come after (100, 200, and anything else in the works) are mall cruisers and ugly to boot.

STAGE 2

Adventurer
:iagree: We can buy two forms of new Land Cruiser: a 200 series or a 70 series. There is a reason, and as TangoBlue said, it is just that good. There are other great platforms, I'm not looking to start a holy war, but the 70 series is a work horse over here and the sales figures suggest that more than enough people with real requirements agree to keep it in production....

You prove my point. People who want a real cruiser buy a 70 series. People who want a grocery getter to take camping once in a while opt for the 100/200 series.

Where did I say it wasn't a real 4wd? What I said was that it isn't a real cruiser. There are lots of 4wds around but there is only one land cruiser and there are particular characteristics unique to this vehicle that make it what is. A patrol is a real 4wd but its not a land cruiser. The 80 series was the last model that included these things. The latest versions dont have them, and seem to be more concerned with styling and fashion than approach angles and track width.

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Maybe I'm not making myself clear. The 40, 60, 70 and 80 series cruisers are the "real deal". Models that have come after (100, 200, and anything else in the works) are mall cruisers and ugly to boot.

You've made your opinion abundantly clear but you never said anything substantial other than accuse them of being mall crawlers, ugly, or grocery getters. This is what you originally said...

Meh.. the 80 series (non US version) was the last of the real cruisers. Everything beyond that has the styling only a soccer mom could love. Besides, if it aint got an oh **** bar then its not a real cruiser.

I don't agree with you or the overwhelming evidence that you've presented to prove your point. Also, there is no more OS bar on the PS dash because it obstructs air bag deployment.

Aside from styling preferences, they are extremely capable vehicles off-road. I've seen them do well - they aren't modified rock crawlers but they hold their own, just like any original FJ-60, FZJ-80, or UZJ-100. Besides, why would civilian and governmental agencies be using them world-wide now if they weren't any good in countries like Haiti, Afghanistan, Iraq, and any other place with an undeveloped road infrastructure. Another forum member cited a 200 series Land Cruisers 47,000 mile use around his country on some of the most difficult terrain on the planet and then you differentiate 4WD vehicles vice real Land Cruisers? All Land Cruisers are 4WD. Just what is your definition of a real Land Cruiser?

In the TN mountains...

200gsmtr.jpg

In the backwoods of VA...

200oex.jpg

In Helmand Province, AFG...

200AG.jpg

If you have facts, provide them, we want to know them.

If you have a personal opinion not based on any facts than state it as so, but when presented with fact-based accounts and actual experience with the vehicle, I recommend reconsidering your opinion.

hoser

Explorer
Okay, what about the 105? Has the same "mall cruiser" look as the 100!

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
You prove my point.

I admit to being a little confused here - I was agreeing with you. If you want to express it as "proving your point", well, OK.
As for the rest, relating to your concept of a 'real cruiser' - OK, sure - whatever. 'Real Cruiser' is a concept that lives in your mind, how are we to debate it. All TangoBlue and I seem to be saying in unison is that the 200 series is capable stock, and very capable with minor mods. I don't have one, so don't have a dog in a pointless Internet model-based troll war, but after my parent's experiences, and the experiences of the other 200 series drivers they met it is right up there on the top of the list. If you want to come back and say that KDSS isn't a real suspension solution, or that a vehicle with crawl control is cheating, well these are at least subjective points that can be discussed. The approach/departure angles comparison is reasonably fair: 38/25 for the 70 series, 30/20 for a stock Sahara. Not bad figures,not the best, certainly not the worst - still plenty of decent 4WD is being done by real people without getting hung up. Admittedly the Sahara is basically designed for the aftermarket industry (as with most other new 4WDs) and most everything gets upgraded out here if it is to go and see serious service, see WhatCharterBoat's point above (I chuckled at his "little 4WD" comment...). After an OME kit mum and dad's angles went up a few degrees, but suspension in Australia is normally about enduring washboards not 'lift'.
Styling? Please. The other car on the top of my list is a Defender 110/130 - I'm immune to styling conversations. Conversations about styling are for soccer mums to have by the football field, not people with vehicles that see serious overland duty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven