Toyota releases extra tough Land Cruiser GX for Australia

luk4mud

Explorer
Now they're (Mr. T.) just rubbing it in!

You'd think the U.S. has a big enough market to also include this vehicle.

Oh well...

That's the head scratcher about the Oz market. 18m people down there and they dont ALL offroad ... do they? Thats not a very big market really but all the good stuff ends up there.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
"Land Cruiser GX is packed with an auxiliary fuel tank for traversing the open wastes, plenty of under-body protection and an honest-to-goodness metal key. A 4.5-liter twin-turbo V8 diesel engine sits at the heart of this beast of burden coupled to a six-speed automatic transmission with full-time four-wheel drive courtesy of a Torsen differential. "

I am green with envy.

That's the head scratcher about the Oz market. 18m people down there and they dont ALL offroad ... do they? Thats not a very big market really but all the good stuff ends up there.

It's really no head scratcher - do something about the EPA and NTSB, and then we can get anything we want. START PULLING THEIR TEETH. These vehicles are being policed out of existence in this country. Eventually, you'll have nothing but space ships to drive, and they'll be very expensive to fix and maintain (since they'll probably have about 1/3rd the number of parts of a Space Shuttle).

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
It's really no head scratcher - do something about the EPA and NTSB, and then we can get anything we want.

We can blame the gov't all day long on this, but this is on Toyota, not the US. Toyota has engines and bodies that pass emissions and safety today and in the future.

Save the diesel (which is a whole 'nother conversation) there is nothing in those specs that couldn't make it as an option in the US. Toyota could keep "Toyota LC" with real options and use the LX570 as the luxury version as intended. If you want to blame someone, blame Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.

4xdog

Explorer
I don't think vehicle regulations in Australia are any less than ours -- probably stronger in many respects. Maybe some of our mates in the south can chime in here.

This is a commercial decision by Toyota, not a government oversight issue. The root cause is their apparent belief there isn't a market here in the US.

Don

cruisertoy

Explorer
I'm a Toyota/Cruiser die hard and have been for 25yrs, but Toyota has gone the direction of mini van looks with it's later offerings of the landcruiser. The 100 series was a stretch for me, but doable. Though I'm not a jeep fan, they have done a stellar job keeping with the traditional looks. Normally I'm a function over form guy, but at some point I think they crossed the line. It's neither here nor there, we will never get this landcruiser in the US market. Those of us that would use it for it's intended purpose make up a very small minority of potential buyers. I'll rent one when I go to Australia I guess.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
:drool: This could very nice.

Toyota is on Twitter in case you want to encourage them.

I'm gonna keep poking them.

FireGuy

Adventurer
We can blame the gov't all day long on this, but this is on Toyota, not the US. Toyota has engines and bodies that pass emissions and safety today and in the future.

Save the diesel (which is a whole 'nother conversation) there is nothing in those specs that couldn't make it as an option in the US. Toyota could keep "Toyota LC" with real options and use the LX570 as the luxury version as intended. If you want to blame someone, blame Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.

I will be blaming them with my wallet as my next build will most likely be a four door Jeep JK. I'm losing faith in the vehicles Toyota is selling here.

Matto

Observer
The GX is the 200 series that a lot of Aussies have been waiting for. However, now that they've been released, I don't know if they'll sell many to the general public. They're not *that* much cheaper than the "normal" 200, but have made some strange choices.

They'll sell heaps to the mines, which is really who this car is targeted at. Normal expo travellers won't want the barn doors for instance - the split tailgate is much better to live with. However, it's much easier to dive into the back seats via a barn door back end, and the mines will actually use them as 7-seaters, hence the barn doors.

I think a lot of people here will cross show the GX against a 2yr old VX/GXL instead. If the GX were cheaper I think it would have a fighting chance, but the reality is they're going to sell heaps regardless, so there's no reason to price it lower.

People who want a cheap 4 door do what fireguy has said, and buy a JK. People who want a go-anywhere car out of the box buy a brand new defender, 76 series wagon/troopy, or a patrol.

As an aside, there were 3 105 series cruisers up for auction here the other day. 2006 models, live axle, 1HZ diesel. 24,000kms - brand new still. One of those would make a stellar base for a long distance tourer. I was sorely tempted.

Thanks!
Matto :)

gotink

Observer
I will be blaming them with my wallet as my next build will most likely be a four door Jeep JK. I'm losing faith in the vehicles Toyota is selling here.

I don't think getting a heeps gonna help ya there!!!I have a newer fj, and it not my 80 series ,but It's much better then the heeps
It keeps pulling out of the trails....just saying

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Spied these yesterday at our intrument fitters. All heading to the mines here in Oz. Afraid I don't know too much about little 4wd cars but I have never seen this model before and thought someone might shed some light. Obviously V8 turbo diesel and with all forward facing seats. The sideways seats on the old 2 door troopys used to carry more than 2 passengers have been banned on virtually every mine site here so this is probably Toyota's official replacement.

troopy 1.jpg

troopy 2.jpg

Regards John

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven