Trailer build thread consolidated

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"How was it to work with the stainless tubing"

Easy, its 316L so its soft, no worse than using copper...finally after using it at work for 10 years I found a use for at at home...

18,000psi burst pressure........your not saying overkill are you :yikes:

Rezarf <><

Explorer
:clap:

You want to whip up another indy setup for me? :yikes:

Great build man, that suspension is just killer, I am very impressed!

Drew

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the nice comments, its nice to have your work apreciated....

by other than just the wifes...si claro es bonito, pero yo no tengo intereso en trozos de hierro, cuando va a estar listo ?

Today was a family day, so not much done.

Found some blingstien shocks in my spare part collection and mounted them.

I don't think gas shocks will be the best, I think oil would be better, due to the weight

I used 2" box for the shock mounts which made them quite ridged, rather than just tabs.

I get 10" of travel side to side of the trailer at the main frame and a little more on the outer bump rails

tommorow will be add a few bars to the front triangle to mount a plate, add a lip to the front 2" hitch.

grind scrub file and clean the frame for paint.

.........camping day comming soon.....all the interior, water tanks, electric system etc etc will be after I get it usable.

Lights reflectors, chains etc and get the thing titled will be this week, I need to go exploring.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Awesome build...coming along nicely

Do you have an estimate of the total weight?

One suggestion on the air to the bags. By feeding them each independent makes leveling the trailer at camp fast and easy.

Look forward to your progress.

cyclic

Adventurer
You'll want to add a on/off valve in between the air bags. Once they are aired as you like them turning the valve off makes the trailer more stable.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Yes more to be done to the airbag supply system.....just need a few more parts.

Shocks mounted, added jack, painted chassis with hammerite,, re-assembled.

DSC_2072.jpg

DSC_2070.jpg

DSC_2071.jpg

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Nah no race...have 3 month old and wife...

I mounted the box's today with rubber seals between them and the frame, and wheel'd it outside to clean up.

man it looks short and high, due to the way I built it this is the first time I have actually seen it all together.

I thinks its gona be pug or rhino for the name...short squat and definately not elegant.

a bit like a sankey trailer..rather than a ferrari

Things to do......work out how to mount the RTT, as it's going to open rear to front rather than to the side,
then locks and lights....and the

DMV

I think I'm still two weeks away from a legal trailer, without interior drawers, kitchen water system etc etc etc

Last edited:

Rezarf <><

Explorer
kidding on the race ;) this is my therapy.

What did you use for the rubber seals between the frame and boxes, I am in the same boat right now, and can't decide if i should just put down some rubber pads at each mount or what?

THanks man!

Drew

UK4X4 said:
Nah no race...have 3 month old and wife...

I mounted the box's today with rubber seals between them and the frame, and wheel'd it outside to clean up.

man it looks short and high, due to the way I built it this is the first time I have actually seen it all together.

I thinks its gona be pug or rhino for the name...short squat and definately not elegant.

a bit like a sankey trailer..rather than a ferrari

Things to do......work out how to mount the RTT, as it's going to open rear to front rather than to the side,
then locks and lights....and the

DMV

I think I'm still two weeks away from a legal trailer, without interior drawers, kitchen water system etc etc etc

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"What did you use for the rubber seals between the frame and boxes"

I used an adhesive foam rubber strip, as used between truck topers and truck beds.

Its not real heavy duty, but I do not expect really any twisting or movement, it should just keep mud etc from getting between the two metal pieces.

Today was a short night, added RTT rails to the top
and installed the manual tailgate lock.

Tube key cam lock, with a small cable from lock to rotary latch.

The others will be electric.

need to buy yet more steel and some more aluminum plate for the top.

At the end I think I'll have enough steel left over to build another frame....

jeepboyd

Observer
I'm really liking your trailer. could you post some pics of your rtt mount as i,m looking to build one for mine. thanx

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
OK here's picture of the "PUG" or "Rhino" trailer...short fat and ugly...

I think if i'd had built it in the normal order,,,I'd have made it more astheticly pleasing, and having not much room to stand back in the garage

DSC_2073.jpg

DSC_2074.jpg

DSC_2076.jpg

DSC_2075.jpg

Tent rails...the tent will fold out forward rather than to the sides

DSC_2077.jpg

DSC_2078.jpg

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Finished the rails, mounted the electric locks, and put in some P clips for running the wires.

Changed round some of the bolts...so that I can actually remove things once the upper panels are on.......

even mounting the lock servos took some thought......mmmmmI wont be able to get to those screws later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl