Trailer build thread consolidated

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
here's a few more...bored yet ?

I hope to have finished the lights tonight and have it dmv'd this week..

DSC_2089.jpg

DSC_2087.jpg

DSC_2085.jpg

DSC_2083.jpg

DSC_2082.jpg

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
I wish you'd quit screwing around and get this thing out on the road for a test. Your design has put several ideas into my head, but I want a real world test of the whole thing to happen. I especially like the idea of using a complete axle to get it all mocked and mounted straight before you cut it.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"I wish you'd quit screwing around and get this thing out on the road for a test"

patience is a virtue....and I be a lot faster if the wife stopped making cuba libres whilst I'm working....

see pic 3....pint size:)

The cuba libres don't help much with the thinking progress......

actually I think more per session than actually work, each new piece I add, has to be right first time, or it will add to total time if I have to re-du it later.

ie doing the wiring before I installed the top plates saves hours of laid on your back inside the cabinet

Plan is this weekend...not sure where ? but we're going !!!

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
that's why i'll let you do all the thinking and then swoop in and steal your design. Your wife sounds like a nice lady. My wife only give me bahama mamas from a pre mixed bottle......

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"steal your design" "Research Purposes"

No stealing involved...if you have Q's just let me know, I'll be happy to measure answer, draw etc etc

I'll be posting a link page later with where to purchase certain parts.

ie harbour fraight has submergible LED light sets for $40 this week....rectangular ones, usually they are $ 69 everywhere I've seen them.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
UK4X4 said:
"steal your design"

:D No, i really dont know much about these, but am interested in building one up! Yours is coming along nicely!

UK4X4 said:
"
No stealing involved...if you have Q's just let me know, I'll be happy to measure answer, draw etc etc

Thanks a bunch! I think any questions i may have, will be far off in the future! Just looking now! :D

UK4X4 said:
"I'll be posting a link page later with where to purchase certain parts.

Awesome, i will check it out!

UK4X4 said:
"
ie harbour fraight has submergible LED light sets for $40 this week....rectangular ones, usually they are $ 69 everywhere I've seen them.

Nice! Also, check out: www.etrailer.com

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Ok now you see why it looks wide......

a few more will be posted this afternoon

DSC_2094.jpg

DSC_2093.jpg

DSC_2091.jpg

and for less of the tacovan look.......some paint/.......

DSC_2113.jpg

DSC_2115.jpg

DSC_2114.jpg

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
and a few hours later.......

initial hookup...........who hoo...next weekend on the trail.....

and the essential dog mounting system test....another part of the design, was to give my back a break from carrying my dog up the ladder.

He gets up fine, getting down he needs some practise, I'll need to put a rubber matt on the rear tailgate, to stop the slippy factor.

The front of the tent ladder sits just behind the hitch and simply wedges under a little piece of bent bar.

My intial dismay at the way the trailer looked on fist trip out of the garage is now finished with, I really like it now with the tent mounted and hooked up to the truck it looks nicely balanced.

Still some trim and reflectors to do...and the wife wants her kitchen done...before she goes anywhere....typical.

DSC_2130.jpg

DSC_2132.jpg

ok and now for the doggie action shots.....

DSC_2120.jpg

DSC_2122.jpg

DSC_2127.jpg

DSC_2129.jpg

Last edited:

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Very nicely done! I can't wait to start getting some reports about how it works off road, especially with the independent air bag suspension.

In another thread you mention that you used Jeep wheels with the 5 on 4.5" bolt circle. It looks like your tow vehicle is going to be a Land Rover. If this is the case what are your plans for a spare tire for the trailer?

Keep up the good work!!

Mike

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
The final product looks fantastic and well done!

Off topic question- I also have an Mare RTT but have never been able to fold it up as flat as yours...what is your secret? Feel free to PM an answer to keep your build on topic.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Mare.....folding up...

let it collapse as per normal, then at the no hinge end lift the top aluminum up
tuck in door, lift the next roof pole and tuck in the extra..etc etc etc to you reach the bottom.

Then do the sides too not lifting to high, or you go back to step 1..

So basicly you manually do the same as the easiawn bungee cords.

Where did you get yours ?? its an odd one to have as i did'nt think they ever exported any ?

glad you like the trailer, guys..I am well happy and hope to get it on the trails next weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl