Trailer Lid idea

gpwpat

Adventurer
I'm interested in a lid. I have a Cnd M101 I will measure tonight. I have been playing with making a lid for it and moving my tent from my WWII Bantam to the M-101. thing is it has to be removable and support a RTT. I use my trailer way to much on the weekends hauling stuff from home depot. But then again. with my WWII trailer free'd up from camping duty I could use that for weekend duty.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
A composite lid for the M416 or Canadian 101 would run around $640.00

Hinges, struts etc would be extra. The weight would be 55 -60 lbs.

I worked on some shipping costs, ground and freight are very similar with most destinations being in the $150.00 to $160.00 mark.

The lid would come un-assembled and would need to be finished with a polyurethane paint. There are some voids and injection marks on the composite that would need to be filled prior to painting.

If anyone is interested let me know. I'd need an order of 5 to get the ball rolling.

telwyn

Adventurer
do you have a sketch or would it look like something we could compare it to?

Ditto - would love to see a sketch.

So the composite would be very light, but strong enough to accept a rack for kayaks or a RTT?

Thanks for exploring this with us.

Martyn

Here is a quick sketch of the lid.

Basically a rectangle 6" from top to bottom with 4 internal bows for structural support. Made from 3/4" composite. The lid will support a roof rack and accessories including a RTT.

Each panel is attached to the other using KD hardware. The panels can be held together using the KD hardware, if so loctite would have to be put on the threads, or the panels can be glued and located with the hardware.

It's the same process we use with our drawer systems and the Oasis trailer.

Parts we can also provide are:
Hinges, rubber bulb seal, struts, latches, roof rack track and bar systems, etc.

Attachments

• compositelid.jpg
    compositelid.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 107

gpwpat

Adventurer
here are my numers for you

Canadian M101

Right side 74.25"
Left side 74.00"
front 48.25"
rear 48.125"
Diagonal 88

There is no evedence on any damage or abuse on my trailer. I am sure it was built with these variances in the dimensions. but a lid would not need to be perfect.

any thought on a steel lid kit? one like that on the chaser.

Martyn

here are my numers for you

Canadian M101

Right side 74.25"
Left side 74.00"
front 48.25"
rear 48.125"
Diagonal 88

There is no evedence on any damage or abuse on my trailer. I am sure it was built with these variances in the dimensions. but a lid would not need to be perfect.

any thought on a steel lid kit? one like that on the chaser.

No. It needs to be produced in volume, it's heavy and difficult to ship.

Martyn

I'm slow, or ignorant, or both...what is composite??:confused:

Cheers!

This composite is called Fiberthane. It's a sandwich of alternating layers of glass mat and Urethane foam. Very strong and very light.

telwyn

Adventurer
Martyn,

I'm very interested in one of the lids for my m416. To ship to 33701, am I looking at roughly $800 all in? Will I need a pro to assemble the lid on my end? You mention the composite material is very strong - no issues holding crossbars and 3 or 4 kayaks or a RTT with people inside?

A while back I ordered 3 custom AT crossbars from you as you may recall. In ordering them, I requested you make the crossbars 55" wide and place the feet at 51" so there is a 2 inch overhang on the ends of the bar past the feet.

Once I got them I realized the error of my ways - the feet line up exactly with the 51" width of the trailer tub, thus are going to need to bolt to or through the perimiter of the lid I eventually get or build and thus the bolts may protrude on the bottom of the lid. Now if I do some sort of bulb weatherstripping over the bottom of the bolts and around the perimeter, perhaps it's not as big of an issue as I fear as this could cushion the bolt against the tub rim? Any other suggestions?

Thx.

alosix

Expedition Leader
I'd def be interested in one for a CDN 101. Price looks about right, I was looking at building one out of NidaCore, but honestly I'm not sure I'd have the time.

Thanks
Jason

eleblanc

Adventurer
I've done a couple of M101 aluminum LID, see in this thread post 17 i've posted all the drawing and cutting list so you can head to your local fabricator and ask for a price. The design is for aluminum, not steel.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/264059-lid-m101.html

My thread over here on expo about the lid,

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22988&page=5

Martyn, if you use Autodesk inventor i can send you the files.
I also design a copy of the M101, to be fabricated out of aluminum. Just never had time to finish it or produce a prototype.

Attachments

• trailer081207-2.jpg
    trailer081207-2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 96
  • shock-1_resize.jpg
    shock-1_resize.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member