Trailer Lid idea

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Martyn,

I'm very interested in one of the lids for my m416. To ship to 33701, am I looking at roughly $800 all in? Will I need a pro to assemble the lid on my end? You mention the composite material is very strong - no issues holding crossbars and 3 or 4 kayaks or a RTT with people inside?

A while back I ordered 3 custom AT crossbars from you as you may recall. In ordering them, I requested you make the crossbars 55" wide and place the feet at 51" so there is a 2 inch overhang on the ends of the bar past the feet.

Once I got them I realized the error of my ways - the feet line up exactly with the 51" width of the trailer tub, thus are going to need to bolt to or through the perimiter of the lid I eventually get or build and thus the bolts may protrude on the bottom of the lid. Now if I do some sort of bulb weatherstripping over the bottom of the bolts and around the perimeter, perhaps it's not as big of an issue as I fear as this could cushion the bolt against the tub rim? Any other suggestions?

Thx.

Assembly of the lid is going to be very straight forward using only hand tools. It's slightly more difficult if you are going to glue it as well as hold it together with the hardware, but we can look at glues with longer set up times so that the panels can be glued, positioned, hardware installed, the lid squared and then the hardware tightened down.

I'd recommend a track and rack system rather than plan cross bars and feet.

The track set up distributes the load more effectively. If you go with cross bars and feet the feet would have to be located close to the internal bows and be close to the outside edge for maximum strength.

To weatherproof the bolt holes on the feet of the cross bars you can either place a dab a silicon around the hole and then fit the foot, or use a strip of neoprene on the bottom of the foot.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Here is a quick sketch of the lid.

Basically a rectangle 6" from top to bottom with 4 internal bows for structural support. Made from 3/4" composite. The lid will support a roof rack and accessories including a RTT.

Each panel is attached to the other using KD hardware. The panels can be held together using the KD hardware, if so loctite would have to be put on the threads, or the panels can be glued and located with the hardware.

It's the same process we use with our drawer systems and the Oasis trailer.

Parts we can also provide are:
Hinges, rubber bulb seal, struts, latches, roof rack track and bar systems, etc.

Martyn - What are the final outside-to-outside measurements for the design (length & width)?

I'll be custom building a bed for my trailer, and while the sides won't taper in at the bottom like the 416 (they'll be straight), I'd like to build to the same upper rim dimensions, and have the flexibility of going with one of your composite tops a little bit down the line.

Thanks,
Craig

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I've done a couple of M101 aluminum LID, see in this thread post 17 i've posted all the drawing and cutting list so you can head to your local fabricator and ask for a price. The design is for aluminum, not steel.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/264059-lid-m101.html

My thread over here on expo about the lid,

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22988&page=5

Martyn, if you use Autodesk inventor i can send you the files.
I also design a copy of the M101, to be fabricated out of aluminum. Just never had time to finish it or produce a prototype.

Woah! Just saw this. That bottom shock mount you designed? Don't do that.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Martyn - What are the final outside-to-outside measurements for the design (length & width)?

I'll be custom building a bed for my trailer, and while the sides won't taper in at the bottom like the 416 (they'll be straight), I'd like to build to the same upper rim dimensions, and have the flexibility of going with one of your composite tops a little bit down the line.

Thanks,
Craig

The Canadian 101 seems to be 74.25 x 48.25 +/- 0.125
The 416 seems to be 74.125 x 51.125 +/- 0.188
Both outside measurements

The lid will be made from 0.75" material

Once the CAD is done for both these lids we will have the ability to stretch or shrink the lid to accommodate slight variations in length and width.

But nothing has been formed up yet, I haven't received any e mails asking for estimate, and I need 5 firm orders to go ahead and pay for CAD and CAM work to be done.

telwyn

Adventurer
Estimate

Thanks, Martyn. Please consider my previous post to be an estimate request. I can then decide fairly quickly if I'll be part of the initial 5 orders needed.

RJ40

Adventurer
Hey Eleblanc,

Nice lid design....do you think it would work well with a round lip such as found on the M416? I know the dimensions are a bit different, but was wondering if the rounded lip would deform the aluminum over time? Have you sold any to someone with a M416?

Cheers!

eleblanc

Adventurer
Hey Eleblanc,

Nice lid design....do you think it would work well with a round lip such as found on the M416? I know the dimensions are a bit different, but was wondering if the rounded lip would deform the aluminum over time? Have you sold any to someone with a M416?

Cheers!

i wouldn't be worried about the flat surface of the lid laying on the round edge. But the problem of the M416 is the width. Aluminum comes in 60" wide sheet maximum, i haven't found anyone that keep in stock wider sheet. Now to be able to do a lid like the one i did in one piece, you need to be able to fit the unfolded lid in a sheet 60" wide, and with the width of the M416 it is not possible that is the reason i've never did one.

You could take my drawing of the unfolded lid of the M101 and simply make it wider and long by the difference from a M101 and a M416, if the resulting unfolded sheet size doesn't fit in a standard sheet size, you could cut a side and welded back after. But welding long seam create heat that would warp the sheet.

But if you do it in steel you shouldn't have problem finding 72" wide sheet.

RJ40

Adventurer
The Canadian 101 seems to be 74.25 x 48.25 +/- 0.125
The 416 seems to be 74.125 x 51.125 +/- 0.188
Both outside measurements

The lid will be made from 0.75" material

Once the CAD is done for both these lids we will have the ability to stretch or shrink the lid to accommodate slight variations in length and width.

But nothing has been formed up yet, I haven't received any e mails asking for estimate, and I need 5 firm orders to go ahead and pay for CAD and CAM work to be done.

Has this moved forward? Any pictures of a prototype? Still interested in this as a possible solution for a light, strong lid.....
Thanks Martyn!

Cheers

RabidRover

Observer
I am interested in one for a M101 depending on shipping costs to Canada. If possible, it would be nice to see a prototype. If nothing comes up before spring, I will start fabricating one out of metal ...

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I am pretty sure that they did not. I am at Overland Expo in AZ and AT is here and I talked to them and it does not look to be on the drawing board right now but who knows. Maybe they will change their mind.

did these lids ever get made? If so does anyone have any pictures? ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven