Trailerable expedition boat

Mickldo

Adventurer
Here are a couple of pics of some boats we have done that I do have on this computer.

This one shows the delta pad/ planing plank and reverse chines of our hulls. Do you like the props ;)

Same boat to show the size of the thing behind the boss's Patrol. 7.3m LOA 3500kg on the trailer.

This one is a 7m version.

Mickldo

Adventurer
This is my current "trailerable expedition boat".

4.1m Quintrex Dory with a 30hp Mercury

These shots were taken at the mouth of Wathumba Creek up the top of Fraser Island while waiting for the tide to come in enough to sneak in and camp for the night. Have to take 3 extra jerry cans of fuel to do the trip.

Mickldo

Adventurer
While I am hijacking my own thread here are a couple more shots of my boat and a mates up at Pancake Creek near the Town of 1770. This trip only needs two jerry cans extra of fuel. You can sneak in halfway in the Cruiser and beach launch it to save a bit of fuel.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
You sure we aren't related or something?

Nah . Ever heard of "six degrees of separation"? We just live in parallel universes. Mines full of composites and yours is full of alloy. At least you don't have to go to bed scratching. Haha.

Our hull designer, Specmar , also does landing barges and this is one idea I have been throwing around in the back of my mind for quite a while now too.
hull4212wd2.jpg

Mick I was thinking more like two big sleek sailing cat hulls with a deck and ramps. Think big car trailer meets oversize Nacra Cat. I've never been a fan of barges in rough water especially if you wanted to transport a high CoG vehicle.

Mickldo

Adventurer
whatcharterboat said:
Nah . Ever heard of "six degrees of separation"? We just live in parallel universes. Mines full of composites and yours is full of alloy. At least you don't have to go to bed scratching. Haha.

Mick I was thinking more like two big sleek sailing cat hulls with a deck and ramps. Think big car trailer meets oversize Nacra Cat. I've never been a fan of barges in rough water especially if you wanted to transport a high CoG vehicle.

And now I am not a Mechanic any more I don't go to bed covered in grease either.

I saw a good Cat Barge the other day somewhere. Had wave piercing hulls sticking out the front too.

The Specmar Landing craft have vee bottoms the same as their other boats. They go pretty good in rough water.

4212.jpg

whatcharterboat

According to the specs I have read on these new hybrids you can get roughly 6 hours use out of a 300AH bank.

Mick Did I read the Steyr info incorrectly? I thought that they were a 48volt system, so you would end up with 8 x 150ah AGMs x 37 kg = 296 kgs for a 3ooah baterry bank @ 48 volts ?? Is that right??

whatcharterboat

The Specmar Landing craft have vee bottoms the same as their other boats. They go pretty good in rough water.

4212.jpg

Yeah Ok That looks much better once you see them in action. I thought that would have been a slow barge not able to plane at all. Obviously mistaken. Can they still plane with 2 or 3 ton on board? What would that one be rated to carry anyway?

Mickldo

Adventurer
whatcharterboat said:
Mick Did I read the Steyr info incorrectly? I thought that they were a 48volt system, so you would end up with 8 x 150ah AGMs x 37 kg = 296 kgs for a 3ooah baterry bank @ 48 volts ?? Is that right??

Yeah you are right. I got mixed up with all the stuff I have been reading. I was thinking of the vetus 24V @ 352AH, 4 batteries, 4.8knots x 6 hours run time.

Of course it makes it harder to rig it up to stern drive if I use the vetus motor.

Mickldo

Adventurer
whatcharterboat said:
Yeah Ok That looks much better once you see them in action. I thought that would have been a slow barge not able to plane at all. Obviously mistaken. Can they still plane with 2 or 3 ton on board? What would that one be rated to carry anyway?

I am not sure of the specs of these but I am sure they can still plane when loaded. I can ask Rodney if you are interested.

whatcharterboat

hull1200.jpg

Mick This is my fav out of the ones you posted. You mentioned building a full skid trailer instead of rollers. I reckon this is the way to go too. Especially if its an inboard and especially when you start going offroad. The trailer we built for the Army (28' cats behind the unimogs) were full skid and they ran twin 225 Johnno's on pods. When you go inboard I reckon it puts a lot of force on the rear of the hull when it's on rollers. Skids spread the load better which is definitely what you need offroad.

I just built a small trailer for my jet boat that has skids down the sides but plenty of rollers on the keel an I have the skids set high to take most of the load when the boat is fully up on the trailer.

I'm still not real happy with it so I think I'll make a very offroad type of trailer after I finish the boat. That was the Honda Prelude engine and Ausjet pump you saw at work the other day. It's a 15'Stejcraft but I'm going to build pods on either side of the pump so it'll end up about 16' 6". I want to keep it light so that I can tow it to Fraser on the sand.

Don't suppose you have any suitable small /light high revving diesels lying around your workshop?? 100 to 150 hp. I'd abort the petrol engine idea if I could.

Mickldo

Adventurer
whatcharterboat said:
hull1200.jpg

Mick This is my fav out of the ones you posted. You mentioned building a full skid trailer instead of rollers. I reckon this is the way to go too. Especially if its an inboard and especially when you start going offroad. The trailer we built for the Army (28' cats behind the unimogs) were full skid and they ran twin 225 Johnno's on pods. When you go inboard I reckon it puts a lot of force on the rear of the hull when it's on rollers. Skids spread the load better which is definitely what you need offroad.

I just built a small trailer for my jet boat that has skids down the sides but plenty of rollers on the keel an I have the skids set high to take most of the load when the boat is fully up on the trailer.

I'm still not real happy with it so I think I'll make a very offroad type of trailer after I finish the boat. That was the Honda Prelude engine and Ausjet pump you saw at work the other day. It's a 15'Stejcraft but I'm going to build pods on either side of the pump so it'll end up about 16' 6". I want to keep it light so that I can tow it to Fraser on the sand.

Don't suppose you have any suitable small /light high revving diesels lying around your workshop?? 100 to 150 hp. I'd abort the petrol engine idea if I could.

Out of all of the hulls we do my two favourites are the 7.3m (black & green one from earlier) and the 6m hull.

They are a real sweet hull.

I am a real fan of skids on off-road trailers. Maybe a heap of rollers along the keel and delta pad but full length skids on the bottom sheets and under the chines.

I'd be looking at a full width pod that extends the bottom sheets back rather than just a couple of add on pods. Most of the boats I've seen with add on pods don't handle real good.

'Fraid I don't have any small diesels lying around. I'd have one grafted into my Suzuki Vitara if I did. I reckon a VW TDi would be ideal for your jet boat.

whatcharterboat

I'd be looking at a full width pod that extends the bottom sheets back rather than just a couple of add on pods. Most of the boats I've seen with add on pods don't handle real good.

Yeah. I didn't explain it well. The Ausjet pumps bolt on to the outside of the transom ( not like a Hamilton) so you end up with about 600mm behind . I was going to extend the hull back on either side of the pump and put a swim platform/duckboard over the top and build in the sides and fill with flotation. So the hull will be fair on the bottom anyway.

I reckon a VW TDi would be ideal for your jet boat.

Top of my list too followed by a MB Vito Tdi and then (don't laugh) but a Hyundai I30 Tdi. Keep your ear out anyway. Once I start making the watercooled exhaust manifold I'll be too committed to change tack. Already bought all the S/S bends for it.

whatcharterboat

Mick Just wanted to show you these. This is the chassis we built for a caravan a couple of years back. One of the problems with most trailers offroad is the drawbar dragging. Especially on a boat trailer which has the axle set so far back compared to a something like a camper trailer. This was our solution anyway.

The vans done heaps of Cape trips and its the same one as in the "Plastic Interiors: Repost " thread. I was thinking of utilising this concept in mine if I do one later. But using bent tube or box rather than straight sections like this. The van was a composite shell that was rubber mounted on top.
2960657009_50c71495c3.jpg

2960657017_0a841303ec.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk