Tread Unlightly - Chaos at Usal Beach (Lost Coast)

thecarman

Its people like that that will wind up getting the area closed.

Definitely. Although it may be a hassle and you might feel like a "tattle-tale" - you should always report this kind of stuff. The rangers are way understaffed, and can't ever catch anyone unless we report it. It's the only way to:
1) Stop them from doing more damage (which means less work for the rangers having to fix it)
2) Teach these folks that what they are doing is not right, since they don't seem to be able (or want to) learn from posted rules.
3) Keep what areas we have left from being closed to everyone.

I have reported folks before. One time I gave them a chance to stop, thought they might stop, but when they continued, I called the ranger/campground host. Several rangers showed up, the folks got fined, and the nonsense stopped. These people had been riding an ATV with no helmets (not allowed) on paved campground roads (not allowed) and (worst thing to me) playing on their ATV in the woods around their campsite in a no-trail area, tearing it up.

My 4x4 club spends so much time maintaining trails in conjunction with the Forest Service, and we have seen so many people purposefully going off-trail, even breaking down fences, and we've had so much land closed to us, that I don't hesitate to report folks anymore for off-trail or other illegal activity.

SeaRubi

Explorer
An all too common story I'm afraid. Guns, booze, and 4x4's. If I hear gunfire and partying like that within 1000 yards I am out of there. booze and guns don't mix.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Not sure if you made it to Shelter Cove. I used to spend some time up there and really liked the black sand beach.

CJCA

Adventurer
I must say I was a bit shocked at some of the fees - $35 for a site (no service) in a State Park...!

We finally settle for a site at Manchester Beach for $25 and no one else around.

Bummer about the juveniles. For future reference, if you gain a bit of elevation going north of the campground on Usal the cell reception is good.

The fees are a bit of a shock. But the only thing worse than high priced campgrounds are closed campgrounds. Good to hear you were able to salvage your Valentine outing.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
No I did not. That was the plan but the road was way too muddy and risky.

I can only remember driving on a paved road that came in from Garberville that came through a National Forest. I'd have to see some sort of map to understand where that dirt road was. I did some hikes in the forest but they were pretty random. I recall that somewhere along the paved road there was a hippy commune. :peepwall:

goodwoodweirdo

Adventurer
What louts ... I am thankful fire arms are illegal in Europe and if you hear someone shooting one, it means they are about to steal some thing or waste you...

Syncro looks great in full expo gear.. but I cant help and think if you where in a Toyota LC Troopie you would have carried on the trial :wings:

Its great to see your out and about.. unlike here in frozen bloody Belgium !!

:ylsmoke:

Harald Hansen

Explorer
fire arms are illegal in Europe

They're not! Norway and Switzerland has about as many legal firearms per capita as the US, and hunting and shooting sports are quite popular in Northern Europe. Don't know about the rest of Europe, really, but I know of no countries in Europe where you can't get i firearm for hunting (with differing degrees of hassle regarding training, registration and storage).

That being said, booze and firearms on the beach would have drawn the attention of the police and possible an armed response squad...

sasaholic

Adventurer
usal is an awesome place to go and was alot of fun the one time i went. it was 3 years ago on labor day of all times. the place was packed, but everyone was quiet at night and the only wheeling people were doin was on the beach or in the mud hole at the very back of the campground. all in all it was an awesome trip. ive been trying to make it back, but can never seem to fine the time to just get out and go. usal is a party place and does get allittle crazy at times. when u go back if the weather is better take a trip up the road to shelter cove(the back way). last year my buddy's went camping at usal and on the way there they watched a drunk guy roll his sami off the cliff as your just starting to get down toward the edge right by the cliffs.(he jumped out before it went over) luckly they recovered the broken and battered rig and hauled it out in pieces.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
....when u go back if the weather is better take a trip up the road to shelter cove(the back way). last year my buddy's went camping at usal and on the way there they watched a drunk guy roll his sami off the cliff as your just starting to get down toward the edge right by the cliffs.(he jumped out before it went over) luckly they recovered the broken and battered rig and hauled it out in pieces.

Yes that's the road we took up the mountain. I had done it before with my FJ62 but I did not remember being so destroyed. I climbed up high and I was close to the top but being alone with the girlfriend I did not want to take any chance. So I turn around when I could. With the heavy rain and mud if my 5500 pounds Syncro start sliding somewhere there is no stopping...

:)

enthdigry

That first pic of the rolled over truck with the empty beer bottle in front of it would make for a great drinking & driving advertisement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk