Trip Report - Old Iron Run II: February 16 - 18, 2013, KOFA Wildlife Reserve

mkitchen

Explorer
Thanks YDR.

I have a copy of the Kofa trail map and I will order more when I know how many are coming out for the Old Iron Run. I had planned on following Hovatter rd up to I 10 when I was last down in the Kofa. From there I was going to continue north on some trails that I found. I spent so much time in the Kofa that I didn't have time to do that. I may do it on my way home from this run if time allows.

I haven't seen anything that is too challenging in the Kofa. I have been over Engesser and Red Rock passes and they we not bad at all. Fun and scenic but I think a fellow could do either one with a two wheel drive pickup. I will have to look for that cemetery when we get out there. Thanks for the heads up.
Mikey

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
You bet!!! The KofA is my go-to happy place. The outermost edges of the NWR are usually pretty populated with flocks of snowbirds from late October to early may :/ the trail maps I was referring to are free at the kiosk at the entrances to the KofA. They're a yellow pamphlet. Have a fun and safe trip. Hope to cross paths out there someday.

mkitchen

Explorer
Maps

I have a couple of the single page maps that I got at the Kiosk on Palm Canyon but they actually have a very nice map that you can get for a couple of dollars. I still have mine that I got two years ago. I thought it would be neat to provide a copy of the nicer map to everybody that came out to the run.

Kind if funny, but I have a warm spot for the Kofa as well. I have been to lots of places in the desert (many deserts actually) yet I really enjoy the Kofa. I would rather go there than to DV. Maybe it is the lack of people, but it is a go-to happy place. We will have to see how I feel after bouncing around out there for three days in a 42 year old truck. My perception may change some.
Mikey

Curly

Adventurer
I just came back from a run there, we cut it short because the weekend storm showed up a little early. Beautiful as always, we did find the cemetery. I can see how we missed it before. Not visible at all from the road. We also watched military jets refueling overhead as we checked out the cemetery. Pretty cool.
We did find that Engesser pass was rougher than it has been in the past, washed out more than I remember. Because of the rain, we left via Hovatter instead of Big Horn pass, and Hovatter road was also rougher than I remember. Still good for a stock vehicle, just more washouts than before.

Curly

Attachments

• kofa cem 1.jpg
    kofa cem 1.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 4
  • kofa cem 2.jpg
    kofa cem 2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 5

mkitchen

Explorer
I guess I should get a copy of the better map, too!!! Where'd you get it from?

You can pick up a Kofa map from the Yuma office of BLM, 2555 E Gila Ridge rd. 928-317-3200. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was not much and they are a very good map. Certainly worth it.
Mikey

mkitchen

Explorer
Curly, Thank you for the update.

The roads could use a bit of erosion, it makes them a bit more fun to travel. Great pictures of the cemetery. I will certainly keep that on the list of places to see. As usual, I am getting more places to go then time will allow. That's ok though, since I have no problem going back.
Mikey

Last edited:

6x6pinz

Adventurer
Any chance a Pinzgauer would be welcome. I meet all the requirements except the 4x4, my rig is a 6x6. Been to KOFA a few times and really love the area.

mkitchen

Explorer
That would be great.

Boy howdy, I am thinking that having a Pinz along would be super special neat. I have seen them on the road and at the Expo but would love to get the chance to do some travelling with one. So yeah, I'm thinking you should most certainly come along.

Mikey

6x6pinz

Adventurer
well pushing my luck, what about a Volvo 6x6 also in the early 70's vintage? talking with a friend last night about possibly going and like me he likes that area.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I think you will find that we are a flexible bunch of folks...hey we run old iron so we have to all get along just to band together against all the new fangle folks :)

Anything pre-80's from a dune buggy to a Mog seems fine to me and I am sure Mikey feels the same. Total rig count might be more of an issue than specs but I think we are safe in that not everyone shows even if they post up.

So just come on out and bring any old iron friends you have, there are far too few of us keeping the vintage machines alive.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
I have a few but they are indeed difficult to keep running. My M37's are very temperamental. I have not had my 1958 DAF ya126 out much as the parts are a bit tough to come by if something does go wrong. the Pinz has been a good truck although somewhat newer than the others.

m wehrman

Well,6x6 Pinz got my interest. Add another 6x6 to the run! '75 C306 Volvo. She has had her bad days,but always got me home! But I have no Dutch ovens...
Mark

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Wish I could make it but that is a bit too far for a weekend trip. If you all do another Old Iron Run closer to the “corner” of the 4 corners sometime in the future that would be more doable for us CO folks. Maybe we can have an encore of sorts the week of March 25th for a Mojave Rd/Death Valley run?

mkitchen

Explorer
This is sounding like a lot of fun

It's sounding like some very interesting rigs coming out for this. Kind of neat to see the military vehicles coming out. I used to have a
military Dodge. It was a 1941, pre-power wagon and to say it had spartan accomodations would be putting it very mildly. Now we just need some folks with Rovers, Cruisers and jeeps to come out. Is James 86004 still out and about? I know that he was thinking about joining us on the last OIR and I would love to see his Doormobile.

Larry I don't see an issue with doing an OIR up in the four corners area or Death Valley/Mojave Road. I have called the them Arizona Old Iron Runs because that has been the location of the first two but I do love to travel so let's look at some other spots. I am thinking that Colorado in February might be a bit cool for this desert rat but I am liking the idea of something later in the year. Don't forget that Utah does it's Relic Run each summer too. They are the folks that inspired me and Lance to put together our Old Iron Runs.
Mikey
P.S. Larry, if the distance is hard to justify then how about adding some more roads and going for more days. Mo and I will be there on Friday and I could be talked into going back to Kingman via some dirt trails from Kofa after the event on Monday, just a thought.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk