Trip Report - Old Iron Run II: February 16 - 18, 2013, KOFA Wildlife Reserve

mkitchen

Explorer
I am hoping to have my 67 Scout up and going in time to join this run

Hey that should bring back some memories. I had a 67 and it was a very good 4X4. It had the 196 with a 4 speed and posi front and rear. I had it in the Bay Area and moved to eastern Oregon with it. It was my first experience on snow and ice and the posi was not nice to me. I though that having a posi would be just the ticket on the ice and I found out that a posi should not be a fellow's first choice in that situation. Come spring breakup though, that Scout would plow through the snow and mud.

It would be neat to have one on the trip. Who knows, we may even get some more cornbinders along.
Mikey

mkitchen

Explorer
We are up to 10!

Well we have 10 folks ready to brave the wilds of southern Arizona. Still room for more.
Mikey

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
10 old rigs running around with a mess of happy owners & families.
That is going to make for some killer campfire stories :)

Thanks for making this happen Mikey.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I want you to know that I'd love to come and think that it stinks that my '86 K5 Blazer does not count as "old" iron. It certainly is not new, but not old enough to come and play.:rolleyes: I hope you guys have a rotten time.;)

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
JC...maybe we should start an 80's Run! Everybody has to wear 80's hairstyles and drive an 80's truck. OK...maybe just the 80's truck. Ive got my 89 K2500! (And I'll get a wig if need be. )

mkitchen

Explorer
Sorry Guys

We had to cut the year off somewhere and kind of followed Utah's Relic Run for an example. 1989 Chevy, geez, that truck probably still has that new truck smell to it does't it? Now an 86 Blazer might have lost that new car feel but just barely eh? I promise that we will move up the era each year or who knows, maybe you might run into an older, well loved 4X4 that is in need of a new home.
Mikey

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Heehee! New car smell?? With 220,000 miles the new car smell is long gone. :(
FWIW I'd love to have an older 4x4 like a scout. Maybe someday.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I only have 188,000 on my Blazer, 220 k that's quite a few. I won't be getting anything older unless i win the lottery. The only reason I have the Blazer is because it was given to me. It runs great however and being a 6.2 it has a lot more miles in it.

mkitchen

Explorer
You two fellows have me beat

My 71 has 84,000 original miles on him. It had 72,000 when I bought him and yes those are original miles. I know the original owner and history of the truck. I guess I kind of lucked out on this one.
Mikey

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
All, I just did a 3 day trip starting at horse tanks. Took King Valley road to engesser pass to Hoodoo wash to Big Horn Pass to Kofa Cabin to pipeline road to HWY 95. Trails are clear and passable but you WILL be getting some desert pinstriping. Also, at KofA Monument there is more Mountain Lion Poo thank cacti. I think they use that area as an outhouse.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Now we just need some folks with Rovers, Cruisers and jeeps to come out. Is James 86004 still out and about? I know that he was thinking about joining us on the last OIR and I would love to see his Doormobile.

I am here, though not as often as I would like. We would really like to come, but we have to see how to swing it. Kids in Tucson do not get George Washington's Birthday on the 18th off, because the Rodeo comes to town the following weekend and they get Thursday and Friday off. We will have to see what is going on in school that week.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
6x6's

Ok, I'm interested.
I'd be bringing the lil Draggin'. Would I be able to fit all the trails you have planned? I do have a habit of running quad tracks, but can have some issues w/ tight turns :smiley_drive:

PC160122.JPG

mkitchen

Explorer
The SheBeast is going ot make Rueben look like a toy truck

Would love to have you along, LowTech

Come on out, we would love to have ya along. Just went through your build threads. Very nice work. My son-in-law has a 6X6 that him and his father built. Mo and I have built and lived in a few Roll-your-owns in our time too. We loved every one of them. We could share some life stories around a campfire.

As far as the SheBeast fitting on the trails; I have found the bigger trucks tend to make room for themselves. From the roads that I have travelled in the KOFA, you will do fine. You will pick up some scratches but where can you travel in the desert where that is not the case? Hope you make it.
Mikey

P.S. I thought I proof read this thing and now I have a misspelled title. Hope my english teachers forgive me.

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Good to hear from you, James

Never met but have seen your vehicle at the EXPO and have admired it from afar. Having owned british cars (though never a Rover) I will limit my admiration to afar, not really willing to deal with Lucas, Armstrong shocks, etc. So, how about if you come out after school Friday, and hang with us through Sunday. You can come out of the KOFA from any number of spots and head back to Tucson. Or if they could miss a day of school, you could hang through Monday.
Mikey

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
lil Draggin'

Thanks, but I'm not going to be using the She Beast this time. Got banned from playing w/ her after I did this, ;)

109Downhill.jpg

I'm going to be doing a `Zona trip in the lil Draggin' w/ a trailer visiting friends. Which I could park somewhere if needed, but I do tend to take it on Dirt Track Travels. Like these,

11-01-30_ (27).JPG

11-04-08 (11).JPG

It'll be a diff trailer, but same size.

As far as scratches, the other day someone backed there Kia rental into the front of the Draggin', looked but had trouble finding where the new scratches were . . . at least on the Draggin', the Kia looked grim. :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk