Trip Report - Old Iron Run II: February 16 - 18, 2013, KOFA Wildlife Reserve

mkitchen

Explorer
Thought I would do an update

I ordered some maps today. Should have enough for each of us. So how is the group looking? Is everybody still looking like they are going to make it? Two from my local club that signed up, Tonto and Wayne, probably will not make it. Hope everybody else is still in the running. With vehicles (and in some cases, owners) this old, there is no telling what can come up.

Right now, my plan is to leave Kingman on Thursday morning and take my time and check out some of the roads from Kingman towards Quartzsite. I am bringing my copy of 4 WHEEL DRIVE AND BACKROADS OF LAPAZ AND YUMA COUNTIES, ARIZONA. It should provide some interesting routes to travel on my way to the KOFA.

The actual run starts on Saturday Morning but for those interested, Mo and I will be at the Palm Canyon trailhead on Friday afternoon. Thanks to all the posters, we have some great ideas for areas to check out. If we all bring a bit of firewood we should have enough for a nice fire each night. Also, what does everybody think of doing a pot luck dinner on Saturday or Sunday.
Mikey

toddz69

Explorer
I'm going to have to downgrade my status to a tentative at this point, Mikey. If I am able to make it, it'll be for Saturday and a portion of Sunday. A lot of irons in the fire right now.

Todd Z.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
Still good to go. There is a strong possibility that one of my other friends with a 6X pinz will be able to make it.

I am good with a potluck either night.

Heading off to Desoto mine trail and then Crown King this weekend. Going to get some more trail time in before the superbowl festivities. We were out in the Buckeye area today just doing some playing around with the pinz. Such great weather this is the time of year I log lots of time in my truck.

man on the mule

man on the mule
If the Sawbones does his job...

Im getting some pins removed from a finger that tried to leave me on the 14th . If all goes well , Ill be following Mark Wehrman 's Volvo with my 710 Pinzgauer. Will be nice to revisit Kofa in the cool of the year.

mkitchen

Explorer
Im getting some pins removed from a finger that tried to leave me on the 14th . If all goes well , Ill be following Mark Wehrman 's Volvo with my 710 Pinzgauer. Will be nice to revisit Kofa in the cool of the year.

Great to hear you may be coming along. I got the maps that I had ordered and should have enough for each vehicle. Tomorrow I start on the storage boxes for Rueben. I may not get all of them done but even a little bit of storage will be nice. Todd, I hope you are able to make some of the trip. It's building up to be a lot of fun.
Mikey

mkitchen

Explorer
Reminder of last year's Old Iron Run

Got up this morning to a light skift of snow. Just great! I have a ton of work to do on Rueben and it is snowing. I can't or at least shouldn't complain considering what is going on right now in New England, but still, this is Arizona and we are supposed to be WARM. The high today was 42 and I was in the garage all day (without a heater because it is Arizona and supposed to be warm) trying to get at least the two side boxes done for the trip. I was just a wee bit chilled by the time I came inside for dinner. Not only that but have you ever tried squeezing Gorilla Glue out of the bottle when it 42 degrees?

Here's a picture of Rueben this morning. Oh by the way, the passenger door window chose this time to get jammed up so it stayed open last night. Closer to getting my new seat and carpetting broke in.

35d2ae9.jpg

I have also enclosed a picture of the Hualapai Mountains, or at least the base of them, since the rest is covered in clouds. They are back behind there somewhere.

4hfkib.jpg

So, list for this next week
First off, fix the window so it will close
Finish up the boxes
Get my camp gear ready
Put a tank of gas on Lay-a-way
Get a small bank loan for the rest of the gas needed
Work through to Wednesday
Dentist on Thursday
Hit the road and head for KOFA and have gobs of fun and food.
Mikey

If you want to hear what the cinch strap is for, you will have to wait a bit and I will explain later on my build thread;
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/57673-1971-F-250-4X4-is-Back-Home
But not tonight, I am pooped.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Your rig is looking good and getting properly dialed in my friend.
So it looks like Nobin-Nick and I will roll out of Phoenix at 0-stupid-thirty in the am Sat and meet up with you guys camping Friday night.
Here is a google map link from Phoenix to where I THINK you will be...please tell me if I am right
33.413102,-114.10675

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.413102,-114.10675&hl=en&num=1&t=m&z=9

What time do you expect to roll out of camp Sat am?

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Your rig is looking good and getting properly dialed in my friend.
So it looks like Nobin-Nick and I will roll out of Phoenix at 0-stupid-thirty in the am Sat and meet up with you guys camping Friday night.
Here is a google map link from Phoenix to where I THINK you will be...please tell me if I am right
33.413102,-114.10675

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.413102,-114.10675&hl=en&num=1&t=m&z=9

What time do you expect to roll out of camp Sat am?

We will wait for you and then take off for skull rock. If everyone is ok with it, you might want to do the short hike up to see the palms in the canyon. It is a short hike from the parking area/trail head.

It looks like your map is about right. I will look up the mile post markers for a more accurate designation. I am guessing about a three hour drive for the two of you, maybe a bit less? Hope everything is going will with you.
Mikey

toddz69

Explorer
We will wait for you and then take off for skull rock. If everyone is ok with it, you might want to do the short hike up to see the palms in the canyon. It is a short hike from the parking area/trail head.

It looks like your map is about right. I will look up the mile post markers for a more accurate designation. I am guessing about a three hour drive for the two of you, maybe a bit less? Hope everything is going will with you.
Mikey

It's looking a little more hopeful for me to attend - assuming everything comes together for vehicle re-assembly this week. I saw your original notation, Mikey, about the mileposts where we turn off I-10 and I see Lance's green arrow on the map. Is it pretty straightforward to get from the interstate to the campsite? I will either come out Friday evening or more likely come out like Lance and Nick at oh-dark-thirty on Saturday morning.

Todd Z.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
Looks like our group will be leaving around 1:30P friday afternoon. The volvo is making noise about heading out Thursday for some isolated camping then joining us on Friday. My truck passed emissions today so all is ready to go.

mkitchen

Explorer
Some last week advice;

Palm Canyon road is easy to find. If you are coming from Quartzsite, head south for 17.9 miles, the the road heads east from Highway 95 and will be found south of mile marker 84. Stay on the Palm Canyon after you enter the refuge. The road will end at the trail head for the Palm Canyon Trail. Friday night's camp will be at that trail head turn around.

Saturday, after everybody arrives, we will wander up the Kofa Queen trail and possibly then over to Burro Canyon. Or we could head south to King Valley rd and points south and east.

Mikey

Last edited:

toddz69

Explorer
Palm Canyon road is easy to find. If you are coming from Quartzsite, head south for 17.9 miles the the road heads east from Highway 95 and will be found south of mile marker 84. Stay on the Palm Canyon after you enter the refuge. The road will end at the trail head for the Palm Canyon Trail. Friday night's camp will be at that trail head turn around.

Saturday, after everybody arrives, we will wonder up the Kofa Queen trail and possibly then over to Burro Canyon. Or we could head south to King Valley rd and points south and east.

Mikey

OK, thanks. I looked at a map last evening and I think I can find it. AZ69EB and I are still hoping to make it out for the weekend.

Todd Z.

mkitchen

Explorer
Good to hear the responses

Todd, I'm glad to hear that you are going to make it. I was afraid that us Ford owners were going to be outgunned.

Don't know what to tell ya, Mark. Rueben is always making noise.

Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach