Trip Report - Old Iron Run II: February 16 - 18, 2013, KOFA Wildlife Reserve

6x6pinz

Adventurer
There is no reason that an Expedition Portal run could not be set up. Would not even have to be vehicle specific. Any excuse to get the rigs out and play with them.

Maybe Mikey will set up another one in the KofA area on the south end. no pressure just an idea.

I know I appreciate any rig that is getting used regardless of its age. I actually would like to see some of the newer toys on the trails. It is interesting to see how people have adapted their rigs. In my case it is easy to make what I want and do what I want to the truck as the base platform has so little plastic to deal with and almost no electronics that get in the way.

I am lucky enough to have been out and about every other weekend so far this year. I am going to continue this for the next few weekends, more than likely right up until the weekend of the Expo. I am planning a week long trek that will take me up and around AZ until I end up at the Expo at Mormon Lake.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
I am planning a week long trek that will take me up and around AZ until I end up at the Expo at Mormon Lake.

We may be interested in joining for some of that. We're also going to be coming back into the 'Zona pre Expo for some more adventures.
PM me if you're interested in connecting.

sent without me knowing ;)

toddz69

Explorer
Great thread and pics. I had a thought as far as defining old iron which might boost attendance while keeping with the spirit of the run. How about in addition to 1980 and older allowing other vehicles that have old souls. For example an fj60 with its carburated powertrain from a tractor, no options like power windows, and stiff solid axle suspension feels every bit as old and in cases older than vehicles pre 1980. So maybe one could alow vehicles that were newer than 80 if the had no fuel injection, no abs in their model line up excluding diesels for the FI?

Frank

I like the "old souls" idea and your FJ60 would certainly fit the bill. I can think of other examples from the '80s as well (Larry's beautiful blue Chevy truck comes to mind). In contrast, the 3 vehicles shown in NOIBN's "late arrivals" photo below are all old vehicles (40+ years old) with arguably newer "souls". All are fuel injected, have overdrive transmissions, hydroboosted brakes (discs on at least one axle), and a few other items that weren't available when the vehicles were new.

Todd Z.

elripster

Adventurer
To fair my FJ60 now has a fuel injected cruiser straight 6 in it. Passing Cali smog with a worn out 2F is next to impossible so when that engine blew I converted and breezed through the BAR inspection. Maybe we need an Old Soul run he he.

Frank

mkitchen

Explorer
We just need more runs, period!

We can still do the Old Iron Runs and we can do non specific runs as well. I think as long as runs get attended, more runs will follow. With that thought in mind, if you have a special spot that you wouldn't mind sharing, then consider hosting a run on the forum. You will never find a easier going bunch of travellers than those who cruise these threads.

I am just trying to figure out a place to cruise in the four corners area so we can attract some new folks to this Old Iron idea. In the mean time, lets go play.
Mikey

6x6pinz

Adventurer
I have always wanted to do Canyon De Chelly. I even have the DVD that Leon Skyhorse made "Canyon De Chelly through the eyes of the Navajo". It is a great CD if interested in indian history and the canyon. I have talked to Leon on several occasions about doing a multi day trip in the canyon. He is very accommodating and willing to do what ever is needed to make folks happy. He will even arrange enough guides to cover what ever size group (5 trucks per guide)

mkitchen

Explorer
You have my interest with that one.

Mo and my daughter, Ellen, have done the Canyon but alas, I stayed home and worked. So a trip to Canyon De Chelly would certainly get my interest. Maybe from there we could head over to Chaco for further exploring. Or north to Monument Valley, the Goosenecks, and the Dugway. Geez, I haven't even gotten the brush out of my cab from the last trip and here we are looking at the next one. Cool!
Mikey

6x6pinz

Adventurer
Mikey,
Our pinz group has been out every other weekend since the first of the year. We have logged a few miles and seen some great parts of AZ. I hardly have enough time to get the laundry done before it is time to head out again. I have even given up unloading the fridge in the truck, just restock and head out again. There will be plenty of time to clean out the truck when the real heat gets here;) one of those things lacking in the old iron rigs is AC.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Mo and my daughter, Ellen, have done the Canyon but alas, I stayed home and worked. So a trip to Canyon De Chelly would certainly get my interest. Maybe from there we could head over to Chaco for further exploring. Or north to Monument Valley, the Goosenecks, and the Dugway. Geez, I haven't even gotten the brush out of my cab from the last trip and here we are looking at the next one. Cool!
Mikey

Ya, let me know when you want to do that trip. Always wanted to check that area out! Better get pack'n for Mojave Rd and DV! Getting my crap ready now :elkgrin:

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Just for those who didn't know...

Photo# 1: the high point is Signal peak with the entrance to Kofa Queen Canyon to the left.
Photo #3: tailings pile from the North Star mine.
Photo # 4: KofA butte
Photo #8,9 WILBANKS cabin and well. From there the rugged up hill ascent you encountered was bighorn pass via Wilbanks road aka Engesser road

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Thanks YDR

Travelling from Hoodoo cabin, to Wilbanks cabin, over Bighorn pass was by far my favorite stretch of the trip. As Nick stated, the trail is pretty narrow.
Cleaning out Rueben today, I must have vacuumed up enough vegitation out of the cab to open my own salad bar. Should have him ready to start the next project soon.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk