Trying to figure out which trailer to buy - Family of 4

Yossarian22

Hi all,

This is my first post and of course, before I get out there more, I need to pick up a trailer. There are tons of options and I may be close to what I think will work, but wanted to get some feedback and ask a few questions from the folks on here. For background, my wife and I are typical car campers with a tent. We never go to camp grounds and always find something off the beaten path. We used to have a jeep, but about 2 years ago we swapped out for an F150 because loading the jeep with 2 kids is hard.

Two years since -- We have a 1 1/2 year old and and a 3 1/2 year old and have finally decided that its just too much work tent camping with the kids. So, we are looking for a trailer that primaraly can fit a family of 4 with a focus on making that awesome. We have not had a shower or toilet before and while nice, it is by no means something we care a whole heck of a lot about.

We looked at the Opus 15 last week, and it seems to have everything we need, if not a bit over the top. We loved the bunk beds for the kids and thought that was the best setup you could have. The concern I have is the weight. The OP15 and frankly most of its direct competitors weigh in at 5K points dry.

Can an f150 with the v6 ecoboost tow that easily? I could swap out for an f250 but really don't want to?
Drivability - Would a bigger truck help or would a smaller camper be preferable? We want to take this far and long and show the kids the country off grid. So besides sleeping the fam of 4, driving it and not swaying everywhere is the next most important thing for me. I am actually surprised there are not more of these with a second axle (less) setup.

I read about the Artko 12 and that seems both smaller and lighter (3600 LB dry) - the only thing I did not love is the sleeping for the jids because we would have to jump over them to get out and in. A lot of the other trailers also had less than optimal sleeping for the kids. Otherwise the Artko seems well done. The company is out of canada so my only issue would be that in a direct to consumer situation service will be harder if something breaks and of course price is higher without dealers

Thoughts?

swayzeexpress

It's not as glamorous as an Opus but if you can find a livin lite quicksilver 8 or 10 they are awesome. We did the same as you for 8 years with our kids and dogs. Very simple, all aluminum, our 8.1 was only like 750 pounds. I lifted it and added a bunch of fun stuff too. Had heat which worked great and AC which was not that great with the tent top. Pic below the tent was just up loose, it sits super snug when it's snapped up. If you find a 2016 or older that was the last year before Thor took them over and quality dropped. Mine was 8500 new and sold after 8 years for 7200. Was a perfect transition to keep the tent feel for the kids but still have a decent place for the kids when they were tiny. Resized_20210303_125707(1).jpegResized_20210304_161307(1).jpeg

Have fun!

Attachments

• Resized_20210303_125727(1).jpeg
    Resized_20210303_125727(1).jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12

Yossarian22

Thanks swayzeexpress. My wife saw the Opus 4 but did not feel like we loved that style. Its very cool howerver.

I saw some AU videos of a UEV 14 that actually fit the bill very nicely, but it seems the models here in the US look different so I need to check in to that.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

IMHO I would stay away from the very heavy Chinese made builds i.e. Opus, Black Series, MDC, OBI Dweller and Conqueror. Unless you have the time and money to keep your rig rolling with all those Chinese parts you will have to chase down.

I had a Living Lite Quick Silver 10.0 for 10 years. They are great little trailers and huge inside but the tear down and set up wear on you trust me. Plus not an off road rig.

I am a huge fan of Arkto and would have bought one but I needed a wet bath and gray tank.

I will follow up with other suggestions later.

Yossarian22

IMHO I would stay away from the very heavy Chinese made builds i.e. Opus, Black Series, MDC, OBI Dweller and Conqueror. Unless you have the time and money to keep your rig rolling with all those Chinese parts you will have to chase down.

I had a Living Lite Quick Silver 10.0 for 10 years. They are great little trailers and huge inside but the tear down and set up wear on you trust me. Plus not an off road rig.

I am a huge fan of Arkto and would have bought one but I needed a wet bath and gray tank.

I will follow up with other suggestions later.
Thanks. I thought the UEV conquerer was a South African company. I did not know it was made in china.

The issue seems to be getting anything that is not Chinese made. The bunks in the 14 and the op15 are just perfect for the family. Everything else about the Arkto is great. It is also cheating a bit with those as well since they pop out and give more room.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
There's really no harm in buying a Chinese trailer. 90% of the parts in every single "American Made" trailer come from the same exact factories in China, and in many cases the trailer as a whole is built worse. I've bought plenty of cheap Chinese products that were high quality, and I've bought plenty of expensive American products that were garbage. Buy what works for you and your needs.

Speaking of needs, comfortable sleeping quarters is by far the most important thing. Roomy, comfortable beds for the whole family, without needing to climb over anyone to get in/out. Hard walls with insulation and heating are a close second. A 5000lb trailer is an easy tow for virtually any half ton - I wouldn't worry about that, and certainly not bother changing vehicles. That said, less weight is obviously always better.

Having towed a half-dozen trailers from tiny "overland box on wheels with roof top tent" to the current ~25ft travel trailer, I'll tell you that when it comes to camping off grid (and getting there), whatever trailer you have, the limitations are largely the same. I take my "big" travel trailer to the same spots I took my "tiny" box on wheels, plan my routes the same way, look for the same-sized spots to turn around, etc. Virtually nothing changes, so don't compromise on comfort for the sake of saving a few feet in length.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
5K dry for an EcoBoost is no problem. My trailer is 6,134 lbs dry. You'll run out of payload before the 5K trailer is an issue.

What EcoBoost do you have? 2.7 or 3.5? I believe 2.7's have a lighter frame and lower payload ratings.

Your payload rating for your specific truck can be found on a sticker in the driver door frame.

That's my problem. With the trailer loaded and the box 1/2 of firewood I'm pushing the 1,777lbs payload rating on my truck

kayaks.jpg

Conqueror started as a So African designed company but I believe most of the units sold in the US are OBI Chinese made. If the Opus layout appeals to you then it may be hard to not go heavy. The whole fold out rear design just scares me as far as holding up over the years. Your you thinking new or used?

If your comparing Chinese fold up pop ups to Elkhart built traditional rv's then yes they can both be cheap. North America craft built off road trailers are usually not set up with an Elkhart floor plan which in most cases means not ideal for 4+ people.

Yossarian22

Conqueror started as a So African designed company but I believe most of the units sold in the US are OBI Chinese made. If the Opus layout appeals to you then it may be hard to not go heavy. The whole fold out rear design just scares me as far as holding up over the years. Your you thinking new or used?
I am open to both new and used. The opus is agree a great layout and I think the UEV 14 is the same. The UEV seems to be going through some changes in layout. The one that had a few years ago was all soft sip cubbies and now it looks like they went doors.

From an off-road perspective I thought the UEV would be a bit better given the air suspension and the air compressor to blow air out when driving. But again, a bit better.

Outside space in the UEV is better as well.

That being said, I think it is 10k or so more than the opus and I can’t seem to find anyone who is selling them. I called a couple dealers who are no longer selling, it the IE. site calls them out. So not sure what’s going on with delivery and marketing.

If anyone knows anything else that has that bed + bunks on the opposite side please let me know. I think that layout is what we will go for in the end.

Thanks all for the support.

Thanks. I thought the UEV conquerer was a South African company. I did not know it was made in china.

The issue seems to be getting anything that is not Chinese made. The bunks in the 14 and the op15 are just perfect for the family. Everything else about the Arkto is great. It is also cheating a bit with those as well since they pop out and give more room.

I can see the delema. The more I think about this having the family bunk bed needs and not crawling over family members in bedding you maybe best going Opus. Or MDC.

Boreas eos12 may work. Nice chassis. CM suspension,wet bath. It's small but I bet it would work for several years. It has a cool design to get to wet bath with out crawling. My son was the cutest little sob when he was young, now he is college age 6'3" and calls me dude.

EPO

Boreas EOS-12 is worth a look though you might not like the sleeping arrangements. Fantastic company/people.

As for Arkto which it seems that you have ruled out, there should be no worries dealing with them directly. Also fantastic company/people. Additionally, if you are in the US, the exchange rate is highly favorable.

Not sure I understand your comment about price being higher without dealers. Dealers purchase the trailer for less than retail would pay then mark it up. Maybe I'm misreading.

I am open to both new and used. The opus is agree a great layout and I think the UEV 14 is the same. The UEV seems to be going through some changes in layout. The one that had a few years ago was all soft sip cubbies and now it looks like they went doors.

From an off-road perspective I thought the UEV would be a bit better given the air suspension and the air compressor to blow air out when driving. But again, a bit better.

Outside space in the UEV is better as well.

That being said, I think it is 10k or so more than the opus and I can’t seem to find anyone who is selling them. I called a couple dealers who are no longer selling, it the IE. site calls them out. So not sure what’s going on with delivery and marketing.

If anyone knows anything else that has that bed + bunks on the opposite side please let me know. I think that layout is what we will go for in the end.

Thanks all for the support.

Can't believe I forgot to mention Jamin at Kingdom Camping. He makes a single axel cruise master suspension model that has a more Opus like layout. Might want to give him a call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk