Trying to figure out which trailer to buy - Family of 4

Yossarian22

Boreas EOS-12 is worth a look though you might not like the sleeping arrangements. Fantastic company/people.

As for Arkto which it seems that you have ruled out, there should be no worries dealing with them directly. Also fantastic company/people. Additionally, if you are in the US, the exchange rate is highly favorable.

Not sure I understand your comment about price being higher without dealers. Dealers purchase the trailer for less than retail would pay then mark it up. Maybe I'm misreading.
My only comment on direct to consumer is that dealers are having a hard time selling so are dropping prices vs direct to consumer which tends not to. I think the prices overall are inflated so given the price pressure down on some of the dealer distribution units, it’s a factor vs if I just considered Msrp.

Reactions: EPO

Yossarian22

So my wife and I watched a ton of videos and I will say that the UEV 14, if I can find one, does check all the boxes. I am not sure others experience there but the layout and capabilities are awesome. The right slot between function and easy living.

MotoDave

Explorer
I guess they're on the more soft-road than off-road end of things, but I've been looking at the A-Liner Expedition and Taxa Mantis as options for my family of 4. The Taxa has a really neat bench seat that converts to a bunk for kids that I wish more mfg's would copy.

Runmorun

Hi all,

This is my first post and of course, before I get out there more, I need to pick up a trailer. There are tons of options and I may be close to what I think will work, but wanted to get some feedback and ask a few questions from the folks on here. For background, my wife and I are typical car campers with a tent. We never go to camp grounds and always find something off the beaten path. We used to have a jeep, but about 2 years ago we swapped out for an F150 because loading the jeep with 2 kids is hard.

Two years since -- We have a 1 1/2 year old and and a 3 1/2 year old and have finally decided that its just too much work tent camping with the kids. So, we are looking for a trailer that primaraly can fit a family of 4 with a focus on making that awesome. We have not had a shower or toilet before and while nice, it is by no means something we care a whole heck of a lot about.

We looked at the Opus 15 last week, and it seems to have everything we need, if not a bit over the top. We loved the bunk beds for the kids and thought that was the best setup you could have. The concern I have is the weight. The OP15 and frankly most of its direct competitors weigh in at 5K points dry.

Can an f150 with the v6 ecoboost tow that easily? I could swap out for an f250 but really don't want to?
Drivability - Would a bigger truck help or would a smaller camper be preferable? We want to take this far and long and show the kids the country off grid. So besides sleeping the fam of 4, driving it and not swaying everywhere is the next most important thing for me. I am actually surprised there are not more of these with a second axle (less) setup.

I read about the Artko 12 and that seems both smaller and lighter (3600 LB dry) - the only thing I did not love is the sleeping for the jids because we would have to jump over them to get out and in. A lot of the other trailers also had less than optimal sleeping for the kids. Otherwise the Artko seems well done. The company is out of canada so my only issue would be that in a direct to consumer situation service will be harder if something breaks and of course price is higher without dealers

Thoughts?

I had the same issues with weight since I tow with a VW Atlas which has a 5000lb tow limit.

I went with a unit from a Chinese manufacturer called NJSTAR. There's a thread on here where myself and 2 others have order one. Not sure how big the kids are, but if they are still small it will work and includes a bathroom.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I had the same issues with weight since I tow with a VW Atlas which has a 5000lb tow limit.

I went with a unit from a Chinese manufacturer called NJSTAR. There's a thread on here where myself and 2 others have order one. Not sure how big the kids are, but if they are still small it will work and includes a bathroom.

I believe age was mentioned in the 1st post. Sounds like kids are toddlers now. But they grow up fast!

Ours outgrew the single bunks.

OP has some time yet though based on the kids ages.

Runmorun

I believe age was mentioned in the 1st post. Sounds like kids are toddlers now. But they grow up fast!

Ours outgrew the single bunks.

OP has some time yet though based on the kids ages.

I think until they are over 5' 8" it will work. Front kids bunks are 6 feet and 5 1/2 feet

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

So my wife and I watched a ton of videos and I will say that the UEV 14, if I can find one, does check all the boxes. I am not sure others experience there but the layout and capabilities are awesome. The right slot between function and easy living.

Hey Yossarian22 looks like there are two 14s for sale at a dealer in PA. The price is attempting but my guess no warranty.

You should check out Treefarmers thread on thier Kingdom Camping XL. Also heard Xplore is coming out with a scaled down model. Lighter coil cruise master that is a better price point.

I heard the 14s have had issues and will follow up.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The trick is to keep everyone happy and comfortable when camping with kids so they want to continue to head out with you.

May I suggest:

3f0fbe416d437ba349fc53916ec53400206d48d1593b7b17103e3985dd3eeac6_1.jpg

Yossarian22

Hey Yossarian22 looks like there are two 14s for sale at a dealer in PA. The price is attempting but my guess no warranty.

You should check out Treefarmers thread on thier Kingdom Camping XL. Also heard Xplore is coming out with a scaled down model. Lighter coil cruise master that is a better price point.

I heard the 14s have had issues and will follow up.
Thanks, I saw those units and while a bit skeptical, I am reaching out. The UEV 14 is about 55k new, so thats a fair bit of savings.

I did check out Kingdom campers but I am both trying to keep the trailer to about 22 feet, that one is 27, and frankly, 110k Just seems to be an insane price for what you are getting.

Lifestyle is also bringing some new ones to the market. They have an e4 that is about right, but waiting on pricing. However, the prices jump really fast again and not sure what you get for the extra.

There are so many on the market now, all with similar designs. Give or take where it is made(that should not really affect quality), someone is going to nail this market with a quality price and quality product.

Thanks, I saw those units and while a bit skeptical, I am reaching out. The UEV 14 is about 55k new, so thats a fair bit of savings.

I did check out Kingdom campers but I am both trying to keep the trailer to about 22 feet, that one is 27, and frankly, 110k Just seems to be an insane price for what you are getting.

Lifestyle is also bringing some new ones to the market. They have an e4 that is about right, but waiting on pricing. However, the prices jump really fast again and not sure what you get for the extra.

There are so many on the market now, all with similar designs. Give or take where it is made(that should not really affect quality), someone is going to nail this market with a quality price and quality product.

Sorry I was not more clearer Kingdom makes a new MX 16 model

Yossarian22

$88k for a properly outfitted unit. Who's buying these at that price?
I think that is the issue. The pice jump from the 50k range for what seems to be meh quality, aka it should be cheaper, to the price of some of these higher end ones seems crazy.

At 60k I think you should be able to get something nice and given the lack of folks buying coupled with high interest rates, I can’t see this pricing lasting.

I have narrowed it down to 2 at this point

1. UEV 14 - the risk seems to be around dealers and comments about quality. It’s hard to know since not a lot out there and the noisy folks are the ones who has issues. From a pure spec perspective, it’s great and sub 60k. I also think a bit of diy and most any nagging things can be fixed if the actual components are quality.
2. Lifestyle e4. - I like the fusion but don’t like the jump to 80k. Need to add air suspension so unclear on costs

I may be over indexing but air suspension seems really good to me. When I get to a sight, the last thing I want to to is mess around s driving on blocks to level it. These are all off road so I can’t understand why this is not more standard. I also live on an incline and want to park a few days at my house before packing back at a storage lot. Air will make it way easier to be level.

$88k for a properly outfitted unit. Who's buying these at that price?

Good question as that is chunk of change. But if you look at what you paid for your Ninja. I believe it was around 28k (guessing) then add all your time and worry maybe 35k.

You can't compare your rig to the Kingdom MX 16 as the components have to be more then twice as much.

Runmorun

Good question as that is chunk of change. But if you look at what you paid for your Ninja. I believe it was around 28k (guessing) then add all your time and worry maybe 35k.

You can't compare your rig to the Kingdom MX 16 as the components have to be more then twice as much.

I paid 29k all in including shipping and all the fees for using an importer and transport. Only pay $45 for 5 years in California registration due to the size. I had no concerns since I did my due diligence and everything ended up as promised.

Can't see the quality difference being worth close to 3x the price is all I am saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk