Trying to figure out which trailer to buy - Family of 4

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

That's cool that it comes with that much solar. If you go lithium will you need to upgrade charger or any other electronic?

Generators are cheaper then going lithium that's for sure. For me I don't want to travel with any gas or diesel or noisy generator but I am an old hippie

Runmorun

That's cool that it comes with that much solar. If you go lithium will you need to upgrade charger or any other electronic?

Generators are cheaper then going lithium that's for sure. For me I don't want to travel with any gas or diesel or noisy generator but I am an old hippie

No need to upgrade the electronics, they are spec'd for lithium, both the charger controller and the solar controller.

We haven't had a need for the generator yet, but have it if needed.

Have you considered the Conqueror Falcon. All in including shipping, and tax to the west coast looking at less than 50k.

I think ROA offers these as well, but not sure.

ROA is showing new units on thier website 55k no lithium

Not sure if this is what you're after, but if you want an off grid family camper i've got this one for sale that's got room for days. You wouldn't even notice it behind your F150:

blacklbzbeauty

Are you willing to consider a used high end trailer that it sounds like you would probably not be willing to pay for new? There is a 2014 Kimberley Karavan on here for sale right now. Under $60k and brand new it would cost you $100k+ at today's prices. New it was probably $80k+.

Unused bunk bed setup to go with a queen bed. Air suspension. Tons of power and solar. Wet bath. Hard walls but compact to tow and store due to the unique pop-up design. Shorter than 22ft. Kimberley has a rock solid reputation. Driver's side entry and outdoor amenities but that shouldn't be an issue at all if you prefer dispersed camping instead organized campgrounds designed around North America passenger side orientation. If one of these had been available at that price when I was ready to buy I would have grab it.

This would be a great option for the OP. Kimberley is very well known for true offroad capable trailers in Australia where they are not typically staying at KOA's.
Seller is asking for offers.

Runmorun

Hi all,

This is my first post and of course, before I get out there more, I need to pick up a trailer. There are tons of options and I may be close to what I think will work, but wanted to get some feedback and ask a few questions from the folks on here. For background, my wife and I are typical car campers with a tent. We never go to camp grounds and always find something off the beaten path. We used to have a jeep, but about 2 years ago we swapped out for an F150 because loading the jeep with 2 kids is hard.

Two years since -- We have a 1 1/2 year old and and a 3 1/2 year old and have finally decided that its just too much work tent camping with the kids. So, we are looking for a trailer that primaraly can fit a family of 4 with a focus on making that awesome. We have not had a shower or toilet before and while nice, it is by no means something we care a whole heck of a lot about.

We looked at the Opus 15 last week, and it seems to have everything we need, if not a bit over the top. We loved the bunk beds for the kids and thought that was the best setup you could have. The concern I have is the weight. The OP15 and frankly most of its direct competitors weigh in at 5K points dry.

Can an f150 with the v6 ecoboost tow that easily? I could swap out for an f250 but really don't want to?
Drivability - Would a bigger truck help or would a smaller camper be preferable? We want to take this far and long and show the kids the country off grid. So besides sleeping the fam of 4, driving it and not swaying everywhere is the next most important thing for me. I am actually surprised there are not more of these with a second axle (less) setup.

I read about the Artko 12 and that seems both smaller and lighter (3600 LB dry) - the only thing I did not love is the sleeping for the jids because we would have to jump over them to get out and in. A lot of the other trailers also had less than optimal sleeping for the kids. Otherwise the Artko seems well done. The company is out of canada so my only issue would be that in a direct to consumer situation service will be harder if something breaks and of course price is higher without dealers

Thoughts?

Have you considered Mamoth Overland out of Washington. I have not seen one in person, but they are very well built and spec's for what you express you need. Compnay is not going anywhere as the owner is well funded as he owns a top aviation avionics company called Dynon for those who are familiar.

Only American made unit I would consider for overlanding and 77k fully loaded.

One thing for sure this is not a FRP box. Lots of metal. Tons of impressive and unique aspects!

Love that wide rear entry door. Out door kitchen is absolutely awesome. 50 gallons of fresh nice. Love the roof windows. Timbrens work for me and keep the weight down.

On the negative side for me personally:

I just don't buy 2,900 pounds dry.
No gray tank. We're does the shower water go?
This trailer is tall (9 feet) and skinny ( 78 inch box)
Only 16.5 feet long with duel axel. Tounge seems short. So axels can handle 10,400 pounds but the trailer is 3k dry so 7k ccc. It's going to ride stiff.

400 ah of battery and only 200 solar.

Is there a shower curtain?

Okay looks like Mammoth had some growing pains with the Timbrens on thier first run of trailers I assume they have figured it out. They did not install cross bars which is crazy. Several customers had issues trying to correct camber and it appears like in was in vain for some. If the chassis is not square they will never align. Not saying that's the case on very many of thier rigs.

This leads me back to the TL th duel 5200HD elastomers will be way to stiff for a 3k pound trailer. Maybe it's possible they used softer elastomer (if possible).

snowgroomer

We did alot of research and decided on the teton x very happy so far. One thing that was important for us was not crawling over each other when getting up in the middle of the night so north south bed option was great

Attachments

• 20230707_190933.jpg
    20230707_190933.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20230628_191801.jpg
    20230628_191801.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230627_115139.jpg
    20230627_115139.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230623_184613.jpg
    20230623_184613.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 20

Have you considered Mamoth Overland out of Washington. I have not seen one in person, but they are very well built and spec's for what you express you need. Compnay is not going anywhere as the owner is well funded as he owns a top aviation avionics company called Dynon for those who are familiar.

Only American made unit I would consider for overlanding and 77k fully loaded.

You might want to jump on that Mammoth FB page and see if you would still consider one. I will say they do appear to have good customer service but it's not pretty. 157 members and lots of issues. Please don't come back with all trailers have issues on this one.

Runmorun

We did alot of research and decided on the teton x very happy so far. One thing that was important for us was not crawling over each other when getting up in the middle of the night so north south bed option was great

Teton has really good customer service. I bought a D035 hitch from then and they were very good to work with. Answered questions and followed up when parts shipped.

Runmorun

You might want to jump on that Mammoth FB page and see if you would still consider one. I will say they do appear to have good customer service but it's not pretty. 157 members and lots of issues. Please don't come back with all trailers have issues on this one.

I am sure they are having some issues. I like the people behind the company, will be buying the owner's avionics for a STOL build I am planning. I have seen how they grew Dynon Avionics from experimental aircraft to a leader in certified avionics and have no doubt they will put the same work towards making this one worry free. But time will tell. One thing they have is a 2x PhD owning the company and guiding it's growth who has all the money they need to throw at the company. They also very much respond to user feedback in their other companies so thinking it would be similar.

As far as the weight, may be accurate dry since the entire body is T6 aluminum, but I have not personally weighed one to confirm.

I am sure they are having some issues. I like the people behind the company, will be buying the owner's avionics for a STOL build I am planning. I have seen how they grew Dynon Avionics from experimental aircraft to a leader in certified avionics and have no doubt they will put the same work towards making this one worry free. But time will tell. One thing they have is a 2x PhD owning the company and guiding it's growth who has all the money they need to throw at the company. They also very much respond to user feedback in their other companies so thinking it would be similar.

As far as the weight, may be accurate dry since the entire body is T6 aluminum, but I have not personally weighed one to confirm.

My guess is most of the issues I noticed on the FB page have been taken care of. Kudos to them for taking care of thier customers and letting folks post about problems and not delete thier comments.

Not sure the thickness of the sidewalls but T6 aluminum could not be lighter then say 3/4 inch honey comb frp like I have on my trailer. Maybe the proposed dry weight does not include propane tanks batteries, awining, rack, recovery gear, spare tires, awining and rock sliders?

Still trying to figure out the chassis material and if it's the same chassis as there smaller model?

Yossarian22

I did a walk through of the Teton x this past week in Las Vegas. Nice rig indeed. For us, just a bit too small and lacked storage. Nicely thought out indeed and looked well made.

We were hoping to find something smaller that fit but physics has come in to play so we likely need to grab a rig around 20 feet that has two proper bunks and a place for the 100 pound dog to lay down without me tripping over her to take a leak at night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk