TTB van pics please!

Discoturbo

I'm putting a dana 50 in my grumman Olson step van, it has a ford e350 frame (1984). I've stripped the cross member, and I'm playing with where to put the axle pivots. I hope you don't mind if i add my struggles along side your guys, relationships included. I'll try to be to the point, there's already so much information on here.

It looks like the 2wd engine cross member is about an inch narrow than the 4wd crossmember, so the driver side beam needs to be mounted on the forward lip of the cross member. Theres someone on philo's forum that put the driver beam inside the engine crossmember, and moved the passenger side back. I imagine they saved some cutting to make the diff clear, but the whole axle is moved back, and the springs sit towards the front of the axle (which is probably fine, I doubt it adds that much load to the radius arms)

Discoturbo

Driver side beam pivot is 2" below the cross member, and about 2.5 " left of centerline. I've mocked the passenger side 3.5 Inches right of centerline. 6 inch pivot overlap is stock on the f250, but the springs are very close to the upper ball joints in my mock up. I saw another build with 5 1/4 overlap, which would leave more room for the spring mounts.

The inside of the driver side bracket is resting on the front of the cross member. The spring still looks like it'll mount on the forward part of the beam. I'll take more pictures of the massive cut I took out of the front of the cross member.

Attachments

• 20211114_171307.jpg
    20211114_171307.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk