Turns out I need a real truck. Kindly help me choose one!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yeag the cost of trucks these days.... and people just forking over the cash for a new truck is bananas in my book.
To each his own, but Ill gladly take a 100k mile Suprduty over a brand new anything. Which is what I did for our setup.
I paid a whopping 16k for ours :LOL:

hdas

In terms of the additional features...

1696106845652.png

I selected : 6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel Engine, 6-Speeed Automatic Aisin AS69RC HD Transmission, GVW Rating 11800 Pounds, 3.73 Axle Ratio.

Now the options

1696107118125.png
1696107142835.png

Then. The Level 1 Equipment group gives me a bunch of stuff that I don't care for, but also includes necessary stuff:

1696107271819.png

Now the ugly. Because I want the good lights + sport appearance.....They force me into the Level 2 Entertainment group which covers some of the features I was paying additionally for, but all in all adds $1800 worth of cost with features I don't care for.

1696108105822.png

1696107348715.png

And sadly I have to pay to get rid of the hideous chrome finishing (I know, its ridiculous)

1696107406728.png

That's how we get to this ************ price tag

1696108213061.png

GeorgeHayduke

Try to drive an Aisin before pulling the trigger on that Cummins HO. As they say, it pulls like a train but shifts like a bus. The SO Cummins will still have plenty of torque, likely give you a better driving experience since you're not towing, better MPG, better (longer) service intervals on the transmission, save you $3k, and save you a couple hundred pounds in payload.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I've had the Power Wagon, I loved the truck but the payload, tow rating and fuel economy were killers. It is a fantastic off-road oriented HD truck though, arguably the best if payload and towing don't factor. Transmissions are always a "meh" point on RAMS.

I had a RAM 3500 with the Cummins. Fantastic aftermarket, killer diesel, great fuel economy. The transmission was meh like I said earlier.

I have a Super Duty Tremor now with the new 6.7 HO. Hands down the most impressive stock diesel to date, awesome! I prefer a Ford interior but that's subjective. Probably the second best off-road oriented package in a HD truck only second to the PW. I am very happy so far.

I am a well known GM hater, that's no secret, but the '24's are their best trucks in some time. I don't like IFS on a HD truck, but there will be someone along to tell you how great it is if they haven't already somewhere in these 10 pages of replies that I haven't read haha. The new AEV option in both GM lines are pretty awesome at first glance.

The new RAM HD Rebel is pretty much RAM's answer to the Tremor, but they are new to market so there's no real world feedback there yet. It looks like it might end up being a great option in short order.

This is my 5th Super Duty since 2011, so it's fair to say that I have an overall preference. Like the others have said, it's hard to go wrong with any of them so take them all for a spin and pick your favorite as we are really just splitting hairs here. Best of luck in your search.

hdas

10 pages of replies
A lot of these is me documenting the process.
Best of luck in your search.
Thanks!. I will stop posting in this thread once I place the order.

————————————————————-
Found and interesting deal out of state. 12% off MSRP. Very interesting. Need to talk to dealer and figure out the reality on the ground and the logistics of an out of state deal.

According to Edmunds.com, a discount of 6% is expected in December “Truck Month”. This is double that, in October!!. Is it realistic to expect a better deal?

This is a good article on the underlying subject: Knowing when to stop.

phsycle

Adventurer
A lot of these is me documenting the process.

Thanks!. I will stop posting in this thread once I place the order.

————————————————————-
Found and interesting deal out of state. 12% off MSRP. Very interesting. Need to talk to dealer and figure out the reality on the ground and the logistics of an out of state deal.

According to Edmunds.com, a discount of 6% is expected in December “Truck Month”. This is double that, in October!!. Is it realistic to expect a better deal?

This is a good article on the underlying subject: Knowing when to stop.

I’d expect better and better deals moving forward. Personally, I’d hold off for a little bit, at least. If no better deals pop up by Jan, then order then.

tacollie

Glamper
It always cheaper to buy trucks out of Colorado. I typically shop in Oklahoma and Texas. Most dealers are more than happy to pick you up at the airport. Sign the papers and drive home.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Don't forget you are comparing your payload to GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) on level ground. Once the pitch of your vehicle changes and the center-of-gravity shifts the load placed on individual axles changes significantly. This must be taken into account for tires also and with them you must consider compound angles associated with vehicle roll.

THIS!!! Bravo Sir!!!

Glad to see someone else understands and vocalizes this!

Absolutely 110% Truth Here!

Majority of folks here build their undersized trucks to be JUST below their GVWR with zero grasp of what you mention!

Thanks for bringing this up, its extremely important and completely ignored way too often.

ramblinChet

Hmmm...much variability in this selection process. It's exciting although we can easily see how one option leads us down a particular rabbit hole. Let me back up a few feet and start the process over:

Earlier you expressed interest in an AEV Prospector and as we know, there are two options:
If I were still considering an AEV Prospector I would first have a lengthy and detailed discussion with AEV and ask them what the difference is. My Prospector was built at AEV near Detroit and I can tell you that production facility is nothing short of amazing. They build AEV rigs every day, have all the specialized tools, knowledge, and staff. They are professionals who can do a better job for less money, and they can arrange to have your truck delivered to you anywhere.

My guess is that AEV certified upfit dealers have completed some level of training although my first question would be - hoe much experience do they actually have and will the technician who has the certification be the one who actually is actually upfitting my truck? And here is the kicker, will they perform the work to the same level of professionalism at the same price? Maybe so but again, my belief is that AEV in Michigan can perform the work to the highest level, for the least amount of money.

Maybe call AEV for a quote and then shop the dealers and see how their quotes stack up: parts, shipping, labor, taxes, everything - lock down some numbers.

Regarding your truck - that is your choice and I respect it plain and simple. I would not consider the 6.7L Cummins HO if you are interested in a long lasting engine. If you notice, none of the chassis cabs are available with the HO since these are used in fleets where reliability is very important. At the same time the 3500 with the HO comes with the most robust transmission, the AISIN AS69RC heavy-duty six-speed automatic transmission. As we can agree, it is robust but is not the smoothest shifting or best for normal driving, and it's only a six speed. I have no first hand experience with the 6.7L Cummins paired with the 68RFE transmission although I have not heard many complaints. This would see to be the best diesel engine and transmission combination for most of us.

Also, it is important to review your state and local taxes and insurance requirements and costs and how your GVWR may or may not impact them. The 3500 can be 11,000, 11,800, or 14,000. You most likely have higher registration and insurance requirements associated with the larger ones. And if you live on property controlled by a homeowners association some have rules prohibiting vehicles over a certain GVWR.

Aside from that there are a list of seemingly small items that I would not buy a new truck without:
  • dual alternators
    • 380 or 440 amp
    • opens the vehicle up for unlimited future upgrade
  • snow chief group
    • instrument panel mounted auxiliary switches - these are so damn valuable
    • dash pass-thru wire circuits - same as above
    • clearance lamps - they cost little now but again, open the vehicle up for future upgrade
    • transfer-case skid plate - for peace of mind off road
  • 5th wheel gooseneck towing prep group
    • is there any possibility of you purchasing a 5th wheel trailer years from now and towing it?
    • again, this costs only a few dollars now compared to much higher parts and labor later
  • spray in bedliner
    • such a good price from the factory and such a perfect job
  • rear wheel house liners
    • most upper level trucks come with this but just in case
  • front rubber floor mats from MOPAR
    • or an equivalent
    • this is a truck and jumping in with muddy boots is never any concern
  • 115-volt auxiliary switch
    • for charging laptops and everything
  • trailer brake controller
    • again, I can not imagine owning a 3500 and not towing something big someday
    • pay pennies on the dollar now and have it OEM
Hope these suggestions help and of course, many of them would not apply to a 2500 but in general, a 3500 is a different bird built for a different purpose.

Alloy

A business owner I know summarized it best - he said that unless I was towing 15-25k daily and making money doing it, I had absolutely no need for a diesel and that my gas engine would be just fine. After two years and 55k miles of travel, some in Colorado, I can confirm he was correct.

Recently saw a post with a picture showing the 7.3L fuel economy at 11mpg driving to/from BC to AB carrying 4,500lbs.
Carrying the same load along the same route I get 13-14mpg with a 6.7L and that doesn't include DEF that the 6.7L guzzles. My engine only has 6000 miles so it might get better.
Also have a recall (Emission Recall 23E01) to reprogram the PCM due to emissions. When Ford did that to my F350 it lost horsepower.

Beginning to wonder if FORD overrates the HP to sell trucks then lowers it later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner