Turns out I need a real truck. Kindly help me choose one!

hdas

But another REAL wrinkle emerges: The Alu Cabin door wont support a 37" tire. So I will have to figure out a system that works with bike rack......In a cursory look found this, so I have options. But hate to have to install yet another heavy thing.

Ramble Rack

Found another solution. This one seems a bit cooler. but it's a full bumper system from Expedition One. It will set you back $3.5k aprox.

1696285155337.png

ramblinChet

Thanks! This stuff is hard to ignore. What a nightmare for these owners!.

You are welcome. The reason I shared it was so you were aware of it and could take the time to confirm that it has been resolved if you were still interested in a version with that particular transmission. My first-hand experience with Aisin transmissions has been that they are impossible to destroy. Three of my Jeep Cherokee XJs had Aisin-Warner AW4 automatic transmissions and no matter how hard I used and abused those vehicles off-road, the transmissions worked flawlessly.

hdas

You are welcome. The reason I shared it was so you were aware of it and could take the time to confirm that it has been resolved if you were still interested in a version with that particular transmission. My first-hand experience with Aisin transmissions has been that they are impossible to destroy. Three of my Jeep Cherokee XJs had Aisin-Warner AW4 automatic transmissions and no matter how hard I used and abused those vehicles off-road, the transmissions worked flawlessly.

What is difficult for me to establish at this point is, what is the balance of cost/benefits in order to choose properly?: It seems that for my specific application, the SO engine is sufficient and It could even be a better experience in terms of shifting and MPG, however I'm giving up a bit more power and a very robust transmission in the AISIN. Is this a wash then?.

Hoov

I will follow this playbook. The closest dealer to me is 45m away, then one 60m away, then one 1.5h away and then the others are 2h+ .

View attachment 799253

This are the AEV dealers

View attachment 799254

This is the task list:

1. Finalize options list including deciding between Standard Diesel or High Output Diesel
2. Finalize AEV package with options
3. Contact dealers.
4. Test Drive 3500 in both Diesel versions.
FWIW, my dad in Colorado went through this a couple of years ago. I turned him on to Dave Smith motors in Kellogg, ID, www.davesmith.com. They pick you up at the spokane airport. He worked a deal with them and said it was far and away the best experience and best pricing he had seen compared his Colorado experience up and down the front range, and took a quick Southwest Airlines flight to Spokane from DIA.

phsycle

Adventurer
What is difficult for me to establish at this point is, what is the balance of cost/benefits in order to choose properly?: It seems that for my specific application, the SO engine is sufficient and It could even be a better experience in terms of shifting and MPG, however I'm giving up a bit more power and a very robust transmission in the AISIN. Is this a wash then?.

Honestly, this is the classic case of paralysis by analysis.
My rule of thumb is to Keep it simple. I’d still recommend going with a simple gas engine, and a basic trim that gives you what you absolutely need. Build it quick/simple and get out.
Otherwise, your build snowballs from $60k into 6 figures and long wait time. That’s a lot of trips.

hdas

Honestly, this is the classic case of paralysis by analysis.

I hear you, but some of us are like that. I spent 6-8 months thinking and tinkering with a gravel bike build, until I knew why I was making every choice and what were the tradeoffs. I think most of the time I'm trying to minimize future regret. The uphill battle here is that I'm not a car mechanically inclined person. Perhaps this overlanding rig will force me to become one. Surely at the expense of another interests.

Off course we all have a budget of time. Our goal is and has been April 2024. The timeline seems ok, get the truck from now to December, build the rig from Jan to March. I do need to anticipate delays and many components have waiting times. So a lot of the other decisions are being made in parallel. I will start a separate thread regarding the overlanding rig, once the truck order is in process.

I'm really appreciative of all the feedback I've gotten here.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I hear you, but some of us are like that. I spent 6-8 months thinking and tinkering with a gravel bike build, until I knew why I was making every choice and what were the tradeoffs. I think most of the time I'm trying to minimize future regret. The uphill battle here is that I'm not a car mechanically inclined person. Perhaps this overlanding rig will force me to become one. Surely at the expense of another interests.

Off course we all have a budget of time. Our goal is and has been April 2024. The timeline seems ok, get the truck from now to December, build the rig from Jan to March. I do need to anticipate delays and many components have waiting times. So a lot of the other decisions are being made in parallel. I will start a separate thread regarding the overlanding rig, once the truck order is in process.

I'm really appreciative of all the feedback I've gotten here.
I get that. I probably researched trucks for 6 months before I ordered mine.
I was all set to go on a '22 Tundra. Had a an incoming Lunar Rock SR5 TRD Off Road picked out and number all worked out with trade in etc... At the last minute decided to try out one of the new redesigned '21 F150's. Ended up ordering a '22 F150..... :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner