Turns out I need a real truck. Kindly help me choose one!

hdas

Try to drive an Aisin before pulling the trigger on that Cummins HO.
Regarding your truck - that is your choice and I respect it plain and simple. I would not consider the 6.7L Cummins HO if you are interested in a long lasting engine. If you notice, none of the chassis cabs are available with the HO since these are used in fleets where reliability is very important. At the same time the 3500 with the HO comes with the most robust transmission, the AISIN AS69RC heavy-duty six-speed automatic transmission. As we can agree, it is robust but is not the smoothest shifting or best for normal driving, and it's only a six speed. I have no first hand experience with the 6.7L Cummins paired with the 68RFE transmission although I have not heard many complaints. This would see to be the best diesel engine and transmission combination for most of us.

Thanks for the feedback regarding HO vs Standard Cummins. Will look into it.

hdas

is there any possibility of you purchasing a 5th wheel trailer years from now and towing it?
Perhaps worth having the option, but never has even crossed my mind.

Thanks for your list of options. The only ones I haven't included are the 5th wheel, dual alternators and the clearance lights. The latter because I want to put a rack on the roof. Dual alternators I will include, and the 5th wheels seems like a long long shot.

What happens if there are no cars with my specific options, do they custom order one?

ramblinChet

Perhaps worth having the option, but never has even crossed my mind.

Thanks for your list of options. The only ones I haven't included are the 5th wheel, dual alternators and the clearance lights. The latter because I want to put a rack on the roof. Dual alternators I will include, and the 5th wheels seems like a long long shot.

What happens if there are no cars with my specific options, do they custom order one?

Of course, this is what I have always done. Submit a detailed list of exactly what you want to the dealer and ask them to respond with a price. Over the years what I have done is select maybe 5-10 regional dealers, submit my list, and they reply with their best offer. I then visit one or two local dealers in my area and ask them if they are able to beat the best price. If so, I place my order there and wait 6-8 weeks, if they do not match, I deal with the regional dealer with the best price and place my order there. I have always ordered new vehicles exactly how I wanted them.

I always thought you pay sales tax where the vehicle is registered. That’s what I’ve done with the last 3 vehicles I bought out of state.

Maybe it depends upon the state but that is how it works in Virginia. If I purchase a vehicle from Maryland, they issue temporary tags and do not charge any sales tax. Once I bring the vehicle to Virginia for registration, they verify I have not paid sales tax and charge that amount at the DMV prior to me being issued the registration.

COAKXterra

I always thought you pay sales tax where the vehicle is registered. That’s what I’ve done with the last 3 vehicles I bought out of state.
Correct. We’ve bought my wife’s two last cars in CO and brought them to AK. No sales tax paid to CO, none for AK. Just registration and titling in AK.

The last time we did it, one of the dealerships we were working with gave us a hell of a bunch of **************** about how they “couldn’t do it” and how the “bank prohibited” so I called their bluff by handing him copies of the AK regs and we went to a different dealer.

hdas

Maybe call AEV for a quote and then shop the dealers and see how their quotes stack up: parts, shipping, labor, taxes, everything - lock down some numbers.
Just spoke to AEV, they made the decision simpler for me:

In order to fit 37'' tires, the AEV bumper is necessary. So I will go for the full Prospector Package with perhaps a few add-ons. Regarding shipping the car, this chart explains the differences:

1696259312515.png

So I need to value the convenience and my time.

hdas

Submit a detailed list of exactly what you want to the dealer and ask them to respond with a price. Over the years what I have done is select maybe 5-10 regional dealers, submit my list, and they reply with their best offer. I then visit one or two local dealers in my area and ask them if they are able to beat the best price. If so, I place my order there and wait 6-8 weeks, if they do not match, I deal with the regional dealer with the best price and place my order there. I have always ordered new vehicles exactly how I wanted them.

I will follow this playbook. The closest dealer to me is 45m away, then one 60m away, then one 1.5h away and then the others are 2h+ .

1696261360378.png

This are the AEV dealers

1696261673497.png

This is the task list:

1. Finalize options list including deciding between Standard Diesel or High Output Diesel
2. Finalize AEV package with options
3. Contact dealers.
4. Test Drive 3500 in both Diesel versions.

hdas

trailer brake controller
I don't see this as an option. it must be standard. Will inquire more.

Also, I can save some money by not getting the lights and installing them myself. I understand you did this, but also you recommend getting everything one needs from factory. Could you reconcile this given your experience? Thanks a lot.

1696265343117.png

So I expect my final total to be in the 65-72k with discounts and incentives.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Just spoke to AEV, they made the decision simpler for me:

In order to fit 37'' tires, the AEV bumper is necessary. So I will go for the full Prospector Package with perhaps a few add-ons. Regarding shipping the car, this chart explains the differences:

View attachment 799222

So I need to value the convenience and my time.
What exactly is in the Prospector package? For $20k I'd get a fully optioned Carli system with wheels, tires, AEV bumper, and probably still come out ahead.
1696280110363.png

ramblinChet

What exactly is in the Prospector package? For $20k I'd get a fully optioned Carli system with wheels, tires, AEV bumper, and probably still come out ahead.
View attachment 799304

Years ago prior to finalizing the details on my AEV Prospector I spent a few years considering every possible suspension system available for the HD Ram. I selected AEV because they were the absolute best - no one else even came close and I knew this because I had been lifting vehicles since the early 90s. I promote AEV without apology since I wish for others to enjoy the highest level of safety and premium performance also. If Carli, Thuren, etc., begin building a superior system that is a "well-engineered, properly tuned suspension system that is designed for the people who rely on their truck every day in the real world and the people who also don’t want to sacrifice payload, ride quality or handling just to fit larger tires," I will be happy to promote a superior system.

On that note, please reply in excruciating detail how Carli is able to improve OEM steering and handling. And just for kicks, include how they also preserve OEM payload and towing capacities. Heck, toss in how Carli is covered by the OEM warranty. Or provide a list of what Carli parts are installed on the assembly line of a major manufacturer.

These are facts - AEV improves steering and handling, preserves payload and towing capacities, and if installed by AEV or an authorized AEV upfitter, the system or components are covered under factory warranty. AEV parts also have Mopar part numbers, and AEV components are installed on the assembly lines in Detroit. Spoiler alert, Carli, Thuren, etc. are unable to deliver on any of the aforementioned. I have absolutely nothing against either of the companies - I simply selected the best and for the past decade, AEV has reigned supreme. It's not even close folks.

Here are pertinent details regarding the Ram HD DualSport Suspension:

This explains the history of AEV:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner