Two Latvians overlanding south

dallas

Let's hope Cooper sees this, maybe they can supply you with the S/T MAXX tires. The S/T MAXX is better suited to some of the harsh terrain you drive on. I have them and they have performed flawlessly over abusive rock and dirt roads. Thanks for the great pictures and adventure.

pmatusov

AK6PM
Fat chance of that...

Until recently, Michelin LTX M/S has been The Tire for long-distance travel for me. Now even those are worthless - the sidewalls start cracking from UV exposure after a year outside. BF Goodrich (made by Michelin) - last six KM2s were out of round brand new.
Time for the new king.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Fat chance of that...

Until recently, Michelin LTX M/S has been The Tire for long-distance travel for me. Now even those are worthless - the sidewalls start cracking from UV exposure after a year outside. BF Goodrich (made by Michelin) - last six KM2s were out of round brand new.
Time for the new king.

I am really looking for the new BFG TA KO2, they seem to address concerns that I have with my current tires.

mapper

Explorer
Have you considered Nokian Rotiiva? They make a summer oriented version now. Or even one of their commercial van tires, depending on your tread needs? Obviously Nokian excels at winter biased tires but I certainly have be happy with the quality and durability of every Nokian tire I've run. That said I've also been pretty happy with my Coopers so I'm obviously not pushing limits as much as you. Most of my miles are highway and highway comfort is an important part of the equation for me.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Have you considered Nokian Rotiiva? They make a summer oriented version now. Or even one of their commercial van tires, depending on your tread needs? Obviously Nokian excels at winter biased tires but I certainly have be happy with the quality and durability of every Nokian tire I've run. That said I've also been pretty happy with my Coopers so I'm obviously not pushing limits as much as you. Most of my miles are highway and highway comfort is an important part of the equation for me.

I haven't but will take a look at tires you are suggesting! ;)

Scott Brady

Founder
Great updates, sorry to hear about the tires. Your experience with them is certainly unusual, as we have sets on four different vehicles, and no flats. Coicidentaly, Stephanie and I just circumnavigated Iceland with a Defender that had Coopers and no flats.

Cooper is known for puncture resistance, hence their popularity in Australia.

However, the BFGs will also do you well. I have a few hundred thousand miles on MTs and ATs- no flats

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Great updates, sorry to hear about the tires. Your experience with them is certainly unusual, as we have sets on four different vehicles, and no flats. Coicidentaly, Stephanie and I just circumnavigated Iceland with a Defender that had Coopers and no flats.

Cooper is known for puncture resistance, hence their popularity in Australia.

However, the BFGs will also do you well. I have a few hundred thousand miles on MTs and ATs- no flats

Yes, it is sad. We had high expectations for these tires. But the rate at what they have been letting us down lately, bothers us to the point when we don't want to spend any more money on Cooper products, or more precisely on Discoverer AT3 tires.

As we want AT tires and not something to aggressive, we will probably be aiming at new BFG TA KO2 in near future. :)

veriest1

We have a restraurant here that serves a dish called Camarones De Mazatlan and every time I eat it I'm reminded that I have to check this city off my bucket list. Thanks for the pictures and the great report/blog. Keep it up.

-Larry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues