Two Libra's Tiger XL - Glamping continued....

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Yeah, I think ihatemybike has it nailed. It's a weird hybrid if you aren't sure what you're looking at.

The six 2" pucks for the front sub-frame are "Standard Kit" for the Astro world and work great to get you tire clearance without any real negative penalty. Bonus: Extra space above the engine in the bay and under the doghouse make lots of other service tasks much easier.

My lift is 2" from the pucks and ~1.5" by adjusting the stock keys. Some people have gone more with re-indexed keys, but it's important to understand that a full alignment is needed once you start cranking the bars - and removing the "knock outs" for the upper arms is generally required to get the alignment right - that might have something to do with the crappy ride you experienced on cranked torsion bars.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Hmm this is all very interesting information. Wish I had known about it before but couldn't really get any info out of people or from the Astro forums. Also, I'm sure there was some confusion because the instructions that were sent along with the parts were instructions for every kit they make...it was like a book, and very confusing.

In the end I'm still not sold on any spacer kit, and I'm not sure it would have worked well with the weight of the RV. We save a couple hundred bucks off the kit and still ended up with the lift we wanted so its all good, but also something else for future Tiger owners to consider.

We have a few more things in the works this week, so hopefully I'll be adding more updates tonight!

ihatemybike

Explorer
Poly spacers have worked well for many heavy vehicles, but if you want stronger, spacers have been made out of thick steel pipes and plates. Really not too hard to do. On ASV someone made 8" spacers and welded them directly to the frame. Van was huge and ran a ZZ crate engine.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Wish I had known about it before but couldn't really get any info out of people or from the Astro forums.

Eeek! Which Astro forum(s) do you frequent? I'd hate to think the astrosafarivans.org guys wouldn't have answered this one.

mr r2fj

Adventurer
Nice work on a great Tiger! Where did you get the cool motion sensor porch light?

Stewie

Here ya go:
http://www.starlightsinc.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=11&idcategory=4

It's very cool and even includes a status LED that will show you the status of the charge in your AUX batteries. Quick way to monitor the state of charge from outside the vehicle. I don't have a lot of itme with it yet but it was easy to install and so far works great. Typical motion sensor technology that will only turn the light on at night (has a photo sensor as well).

As far as the spacer thing goes it definitely sounds like there's some confusion, but until I see a tiger owner use them I'm not sold on them being the best design for tiger owners.

suntinez

Explorer
Very cool find on the light, I just ordered one.

It'll be fun to prowl with another Tiger, can't wait to see what you've done to the place :sombrero:

suntinez

Explorer
Nice to see another Tiger in one of its natural environments, under trees:

tigertown.jpg

near a lake:
lake.jpg

with a big bowl o'fire handy
bowlofire.jpg

just like a good glamper!
glamper.jpg

I know you haven't had a chance to update the blog yet, but I'm so impressed with the changes you've made. I knew you wouldn't sit still with it. Good seeing ya'll!

Now go put some miles on it and see some beautiful things, and get back to us :elkgrin:

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Thanks for the compliments Dave!

Linda, thank you so much for meeting up with us and grabbing the spot on the mountain. I'm sure you and your Tiger will enjoy that new light. We will see you again soon! :sombrero:

I have lots of updates, but not much time lately. It was a mad dash to get things finalized on the Tiger before leaving Phoenix. We are now on the road, leaving today to head north up the coast. I'll do my best to update you all here.

As some of you may know, Josh and I are quite the gadget geeks, and all of our vehicles have had some fun electronics in them. The Tiger is no exception to this rule! One of our first missions was to pick out a new stereo/gps unit; we chose the Kenwood DNX9980HD. With a large screen, amazing backup camera, Garmin GPS, video, HD radio, bluetooth and other capabilities its a great all-in-one unit. One set back was that it is a double-din and the Chevy Astro is a din and a half. We are very lucky to have a friend who works for Diamond Audio and also does quality stereo installs, so he set up our cockpit beautifully with a custom cut-out for the stereo, mounting of our HAM unit and giant speaker, along with new stereo speakers.

IMG_5262.JPG

Also in that picture is the monitoring unit for our mobile weather station from Ambient Weather. Nothing super fancy here but, so far it seems to work well and we are able to monitor up to 3 channels via remote sensors around the vehicle. We placed one in the fridge, one in the back of the cabin and one in the outside battery box.

Our HAM radio was transferred over from the FJ and is the Kenwood TM-D710A with APRS capabilities. This is just another great way for friends and family to keep track of us on the road at aprs.fi, callsign KE7PQW. Our radio is paired with the Comet CSB-790A antenna mounted to the rear ladder:

IMG_5257.JPG

Our friend from Diamond Audio also hooked us up with a nice 8inch sub and amp located behind the drivers seat. This Tiger can bump! :elkgrin: Unfortunately, this meant we had to re-do the latch on the fridge to something that would work around the sub, and also re-locate the fire extinguisher - it is now permanently mounted to the kitchen counter, which I think is probably a better place for it anyway:

IMG_5230.JPG

IMG_5267.JPG

We had the backup camera mounted up high in the rear, which works perfectly. This thing has a crazy fish-eye on it and by the time you see the vehicle leave in the camera view its already in your peripheral view. We also have it on a switch so we can turn it on while driving to see how close someone is following, or how much traffic we are holding up going up a mountain pass. We can also keep an eye on the bikes, mounted to our new Yakima hitch mount:

IMG_5301.JPG

IMG_5302.JPG

I have much more to update, but its time for breakfast and loading up to head north and continue our trip up the coast. We are currently in Orange County, at the beginning of a three week trip up the PCH, down the Sierras and into Yosemite. I'm doing my best to update our blog occasionally from the road, which you can read at www.twolibras.net. There you will also find a link to our SPOT tracking, along with the APRS. If you see us out on the road, be sure to stop by and say hello!!

IMG_5271.JPG

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Sweet! The Yellow post site looked nice! Glad you got out and met up with Ms. Linda and Pep.

Maybe i'll meet up with you guys on the way down from Portland in the Sprinter. Im going down 395 side, but maybe i can cut across somewhere.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
We are currently in Big Sur, under the canopy of redwoods and aspen, next to a small creek. Its chilly enough for sweaters and pants which is a welcome change from the heat in Phoenix. Its so beautiful here I think we are going to spend a few days in the area moving around. Keeping our fingers crossed for beach camping this weekend.

IMG_5361.JPG

(No the Tiger is not on fire!)

Dave we will be heading up the coast for at least another week. Hopefully here in Big Sur this weekend. It would be great to meet up with you, but only if its easy for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3