TwoTrack's 05 Tundra

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Nice upgrades. I have the same carpet kit I got used. Was wonder how you clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
It's a bed rug and I just pressure wash it. I spilled a little bit of motor oil near the tailgate, I pressure washed it out, you can't tell one bit, doesn't even smell. I love it for short rides with the dogs.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Yea I got the same bed rug. Was for a double cab and I have a AC. Couldnt use the sides but wasn't a big deal as I picked it up for $20. Guess I need pressure wash mine and hope it gets the sand out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jb1rd

Explorer
Check out the Kelty car camping tents; http://www.kelty.com/p-802-granby-4.aspx?category=tents-shelters I have this one and it is plenty big for the wife, huge Bernese Mt dog and myself
I just came across this cool Big Agnes https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/wyomingtrail42015

http://www.goose-gear.com/store/c47/CampKitchen.html cool stuff, pricey as all get out but some good ideas that you might be able to replicate.

We learned that we need a larger tent and a better way to organize our kitchen.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I've been reading the chuck box thread the past few days and I'm working on a simple design to keep all our stuff together. As for the tent we are leaning towards a kodiak canvas. For the same size in a standard tent we'd have to spend the same if not more it looks like, and the canvas should last us a lifetime. Honestly there isn't anything wrong with the cheaper Coleman we use now other than size.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
OBX 2015

Last week was spent at the Outer Banks in North Carolina, more specifically the 4x4 portion of Corolla beach. This was (even though we stayed in a house with running water, electricity, cable, and even wifi) a great family adventure.

We woke up early Friday morning and I scrambled to pack the truck. Packing everything an 8 month old needs for a week isn't easy, add 2 dogs and ourselves, and I'm surprised we got it all to fit. We made a quick Starbucks stop and hit the highway. The drive was uneventful and went quite smooth. We drove through to Florence, SC, arriving around 5 PM. When we got up to the room we pulled our daughter out of the carseat and sat her on the bed, to our amazement she began crawling across the bed to get my wifes phone. She'd been getting up on her hands and knees but never actually crawling. She crawled across the bed like she'd been doing it for years! After the excitement of watching her crawl back and forth across the bed we decided we should grab some food and get some sleep for tomorrow's drive.

IMG_20150313_173050%3Anopm%3A.jpg

Saturday morning, after a rough nights sleep, we got up, repacked the truck, made a quick Dunkin Donuts stop, and hit the road. Saturday's drive was much more interesting. We weren't on the highway long before we got off onto some country roads. We arrived 30 minutes early but luckily had no issues checking in.

house.jpg

Adalynn was extremely happy to be out of the carseat!

IMG_20150315_075921.jpg

Sunday my wifes mother and two younger sisters arrived. The following week turned out to be extremely relaxing and laid back. We visited local shops and restaurants (the ones that were open), a lighthouse, and of coarse walked along the beach.

l8c0IONZiPcAv5BHGlClKnUFsih_GZzzp1ZRBl9qEjY=w932-h617-no

clint2.jpg

bay.jpg

truck3.jpg

The view from the house was amazing. The sunrises each morning were a work of art.

IMG_20150315_071416.jpg

IMG_20150315_071349.jpg

I think it's safe to say that everyone's favorite part of this trip was seeing the wild horses. I thought it was simply amazing to see them strolling the beach.

horse.jpg

horse8.jpg

horse6.jpg

horse2.jpg

horse1.jpg

We visited the Bodie Island lighthouse which was stunning, it was however extremely cold and I was not dressed appropriately. I took a lot of great pictures here but wish I would have been able to stay longer and take more. It was a really cool place and would love to go back.

lighthouse2.jpg

lighthouse1.jpg

family2.jpg

family3.jpg

We left Friday night and drove back to Florense, SC. Then made it back home Saturday and spent Sunday washing every inch of the Tundra. It was a much needed vacation and we all had a great time. We will definitely be back!

Last edited:

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Well it's been a while since I've updated this, and really nothing has changed other than some routine maintenance. The truck is getting used though, this past weekend we took a day trip out to the Ocala National Forest and had a blast.

We started out on FR 86 headed towards Hopkins Prairie to check out the campsites but unfortunately we were met with a locked gate.

wt1SyKr1R6Je_ZMLQrQt8BhBmY0UdQgqPUCRBg6eQaI=w1539-h1019-no

We were headed towards the Yearling Trail to try and take a hike when we found this guy.

AAcJ4-D4irojAjFo1BQSgowIOFolLb-k7Y5HP1AC9YA=w1539-h1019-no

And some obligatory truck shots.

8G9wSZMxfI1NX47aA9ZElLfiRcormi6QzewioMejghk=w1539-h1019-no

D0KGx0hYQj27Zm0NVffQI4fcvavLfAz-5SKu3_JgSbY=w1539-h1019-no

CUEbsMKsKxkcqJpJZI2gq8VqaPSHTBrtPyR095fmE2A=w1539-h1019-no

gzweJWgpdBOphKjbjYLAWE3iHSxK46JUfa3o8OTCZ8w=w1539-h1019-no

6aPcs5MdDvHoa0Za1H5nlYJQiohf_5Tjeqi-i1G7kNI=w1539-h1019-no

VygkWDKDfpCN7nJF2KXSaM7ysw3DZS2AnDnnmwu--Qs=w1539-h1019-no

I forget what trail we ended up on but it was just north of Juniper.

bP5q0gNN7kxz16S4tmXDM-HGRxPeRsfM_aSg8_NGOSw=w1539-h1019-no

Then we ran into some downed trees.

MD0tKyOqEPMH_UFVBr5PU6diGi634WYBJUUEdoKnuE0=w1539-h1019-no

We evaluated.

84frw4dhCWLYpO23J5BV6yGQFLm_kCSfH_EKMpwuJw4=w1539-h1019-no

After moving most of it, the last bit wouldn't budge. We needed a chainsaw, which we didn't have. Next time, this time, we took a detour.

MCDY57sduw6VSUqWcVDYCmdwhF5J8rq5riYlECfl6HU=w1539-h1019-no

u7FsoGJhLrh4JXT1f7pfLHo75vTuSV-WX6waboIu2MI=w1539-h1019-no

_lUWBYWWSXvVzMnkBZiISLjf3pq_3I5DV0KK1QzfR88=w1539-h1019-no

And we were greeted with this...

vSPtmYrJjDDGyFvCvwyUfuHtuEQkpop5ZMPz-1HM_oc=w1539-h1019-no

W1FYvhQDuRef8FBrxtr9Q1PvJEQyYBqAlhyEKfe0N48=w1539-h1019-no

We eventually found a place to stop for lunch. The menu said burgers and ritz crackers.

TesXIuq3eYdcrzVOdXKrLRVHGzuFYiMjPYz0E4WXcfQ=w1539-h1019-no

giQADTiaDsezA2pfCD_j7NN05jBTJ22huM4YEOoEHZc=w675-h1019-no

LiiL_AcH_kIujB-C1IxqoMEp1CiPMQ92RPCOOo5H4I0=w1539-h1019-no

It started to rain just as we packed up.

jPcWojJlOa71O0UJ3Z3uOO2k_WNfed1TbO--_wrkqco=w1539-h1019-no

0BAgEtjv9uUyJgNAN7oB5usOWK2gLwIy_iGTiZp8nB8=w1539-h1019-no

The storm was really moving in at this point.

O3s7zCOirmu9dkH5DLAZb16Ug4heWTmCosyoqhk3bA4=w1539-h1019-no

epT4bn2xge9ufyytgdaqpMK-9U4kKkoDWjQ7A5bWKPM=w1539-h1019-no

JNV8IfCp1SVoT3ftkoTysLtCbb1nu-zH4ilezrGMO8E=w1539-h1019-no

We decided one more trail before a stop at DQ, the last trail ended up being a real gem! Only a single picture though.

QYjTDgf75hPnSuusa_ExJneVf1vfsxQ8LfHm-wCwwr0=w1539-h1019-no

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Looks like a nice truck I read through the thread, bed rug is awesome, I've got the same one. Any more plans?

I'd like to build a high clearance bumper, something along the lines of what Seanpistol or Boxrocket have done. Every time I go out I drag my hitch, if we had rocks here I would have body damage already. I'd like to get a RTT but that's a little ways out for me right now.

We also plan to start doing more trips out west. We went to New Mexico this year but without the Tundra. Before we do something like that though we'll need to sort out some bed storage.

01tundra is my inspiration, however, not his 01 Tundra but 03 Tacoma.

Simple rear bumper, sliders, hidden winch up front, mild lift, underbody protection and good to go. His build thread is here.

Last edited:

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Here's a quick video from last weekend when I hung out with some Tacoma's.

Some things I learned:

1. I need new UCA's. Listening to the stock arms bottom out on the coil is pretty harsh. I'm thinking LR for the low maintenance ball joint vs uni-ball of the Camburg or TC.
  2. Departure angle is still the worst thing about this truck. In the video I had to come into it at an angle, had I not, the rear driver side would have dragged over the drop off.
  3. More rear flex would be nice. I have a Hellwig 991 helper spring + AAL and it's way to stiff. I've looked into Deavers but everyone who tries to carry a load hates them. Possibly Chevy 63's? I need to do more research.

rickashay

Explorer
Here's a quick video from last weekend when I hung out with some Tacoma's.

Some things I learned:

1. I need new UCA's. Listening to the stock arms bottom out on the coil is pretty harsh. I'm thinking LR for the low maintenance ball joint vs uni-ball of the Camburg or TC.
  2. Departure angle is still the worst thing about this truck. In the video I had to come into it at an angle, had I not, the rear driver side would have dragged over the drop off.
  3. More rear flex would be nice. I have a Hellwig 991 helper spring + AAL and it's way to stiff. I've looked into Deavers but everyone who tries to carry a load hates them. Possibly Chevy 63's? I need to do more research.

Nice little vid! Truck looks good.

I agree on you assessment. Our departure angle sucks, but a simple rear high clearance bumper will greatly aid in that department. Bob the bed if your open to that can of worms. With aftermarket UCA and exteneded coilovers (Fox) I'm cycling very close to 10" of travel in the front. With 2" longer rear shocks I'm significantly better there too.

The more I consider 63s the more I want to avoid all the work. I think they would be very effective but depends how handy you are with fab work. I'm leaning toward the route Blender went with a shackle flip and some Deavers.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
How have your TC uni-balls done? I keep going back and forth on the TC/Camburgs vs LR. LR says they increase travel and I like the idea of the lower maintenance and non squeaky ball joints.

Are you looking at custom Deavers or the G57s? I just don't know if they'll hold up to carrying a load. I'm sure a custom set would.

This weekend I'm going to jack up the rear and see if my shocks are limiting travel. I'm running OME 60091's which is officially for a 2nd Gen Taco w/ 3" of lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal